WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You make Baby-Jesus cry, jerk!

Away in a manger...

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

the first thread i see when i log on, funny that i was pondering the $$ aspect(maybe not having enough) while driving to work this morning...this thread quickly squashed the doubt for a while...i would rather wait a year and save double the money then try to hike on 10$ a day

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    As I recall, the thread went like this....

Yes, you can if you are frugal.

No, you can't because you need beer and pizza.

No, you can't because after bus fare you won't have shoe money.

I like to stealth camp.

Stealth camping is against the rules and you make baby Jesus cry!

You're a jerk.

No, you're a jerk!
    You forgot the Beans and Rice reference . . .

And like Peaks said, hiking the trail is basically free . . . When you said $10 a day, I thought dangit! That's about what I was making when I was working part time. Sounds like a lot to me.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Threads repeat... that is life

Not everyone has been on Whiteblaze for weeks, months or years. Those of us that are addicted to this "place" have seen everything discussed at some point. When a new member starts they usually start by asking questions that are of a high interest to them... long before they know that we have already figured out all the minute details of every aspect of hiking and stored it into our magic thread vault. They will figure that out if they stay around long enough.

But sometimes it irks me to see a newer member's question get answered with childish remarks about what WE already did before they came into out playground! If you already know all there is to know about a topic... then don't read the threads about that topic. Then you won't feel like they are wasting your time.

Sorry, I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed... just a little grouchy... but we should try to remember that dozens of new members find Whiteblaze every single day. They do not know what we have talked about. Lets be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi View Post
    you are saying that for $10 a day one could not complete an enjoyable hike? I think you are wrong..sure you couldn't party and have to make the right choices but I definatly think it's doable
    Then why did you ask?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    But sometimes it irks me to see a newer member's question get answered with childish remarks about what WE already did before they came into out playground!
    Not a bad rant, understandable.

T'other thread weren't even cold, yet, though; still on page 1.

My theory is that it is possible to hike on $10 a day. But, I haven't done a thru.

As an example of the variety of standards, NPR: Hungry Planet: What the World Eats.

A week of groceries...

Chad: The Aboubakars of Breidjing Camp

Grains & Other Starchy Foods: **
    Sorghum ration, unmilled, 39.3 lb; corn-soy blend ration (called CSB), 4.6 lb.

Dairy:
    Not available to them.

Meat, Fish & Eggs: $0.58**
    Goat meat, dried and on bone, 9 oz; fish, dried, 7 oz. Note: Periodically, such as at the end of Ramadan, several families collectively purchase a live animal to slaughter and share. Some of its meat is eaten fresh in soup and the rest is dried.

Fruits, Vegetables & Nuts: $0.51**
    Limes, small, 5; pulses ration, 4.6 lb, the seeds of legumes such as peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and fava beans. Red onions, 1 lb; garlic, 8 oz; okra, dried, 5 oz; red peppers, dried, 5 oz; tomatoes, dried, 5 oz.

Condiments: $0.13**
    Sunflower oil ration, 2.1 qt; white sugar ration, 1.4 lb; dried pepper, 12 oz; salt ration, 7.4 oz; ginger, 4 oz.

Beverages:
    Water, 77.7 gal, provided by Oxfam, and includes water for all purposes. Rations organized by the United Nations with the World Food Programme.

Food Expenditure for One Week: 685 CFA francs/$1.23
    **Market value of food rations, if purchased locally: $24.37

Miss Janet, it is considered good internet etiquette to see if your question has already been asked and answered before posting. Prior conversations ARE available.

On most websites, a repeat question gets a "stiffu n00b" type response. The response here IS welcoming.

Didn't we just do this thread?
    Well, technically that thread is different. It's about doing a thru on $1500, this one is about doing one on $10 a day or $300 a month, I'm not sure which.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 12-08-2007 at 11:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    Not everyone has been on Whiteblaze for weeks, months or years. Those of us that are addicted to this "place" have seen everything discussed at some point. When a new member starts they usually start by asking questions that are of a high interest to them... long before they know that we have already figured out all the minute details of every aspect of hiking and stored it into our magic thread vault. They will figure that out if they stay around long enough.

But sometimes it irks me to see a newer member's question get answered with childish remarks about what WE already did before they came into out playground! If you already know all there is to know about a topic... then don't read the threads about that topic. Then you won't feel like they are wasting your time.

Sorry, I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed... just a little grouchy... but we should try to remember that dozens of new members find Whiteblaze every single day. They do not know what we have talked about. Lets be nice.
    Biloxi ain't a new member

Images

Default Now, with that off my chest...

can this be done and still have a good enjoyable thru hike???

I think it is hard to know what YOU are going to need before you are actually hiking. But I think $10 a day will be devoted almost 100% to your calorie needs. I know $10 a day doesn't give you the budget for much in the way of creature comforts. Chocolate Milk cost a $1.50 a pint... Ben and Jerry's $5 a pint. Sure, Beer, Pizza, cigarette's, hotels rooms, shuttles, AYCE buffets etc may all seem like things you can do without but most hikers have some VICE that costs them$$

$10 a day doesn't give you much wiggle room for those unexpected things... illness, injury, shoe blowout, etc. I always tell people that I am Psychic... that I can tell them something about their hike and be right 100% of the time...
    "EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"
    There is no way to plan for every contingency and no way to know what all your needs will be. I have seen hundreds of people bewildered that a third to half their money is gone a month into the hike.

Images

Not a bad rant, understandable.
    T'other thread weren't even cold, yet, though; still on page 1.
    My theory is that it is possible to hike on $10 a day. But, I haven't done a thru.
    As an example of the variety of standards, NPR: Hungry Planet: What the World Eats.
    A week of groceries...
    Dairy:
    Not available to them.

Goat meat, dried and on bone, 9 oz; fish, dried, 7 oz. Note: Periodically, such as at the end of Ramadan, several families collectively purchase a live animal to slaughter and share. Some of its meat is eaten fresh in soup and the rest is dried.
    Limes, small, 5; pulses ration, 4.6 lb, the seeds of legumes such as peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and fava beans. Red onions, 1 lb; garlic, 8 oz; okra, dried, 5 oz; red peppers, dried, 5 oz; tomatoes, dried, 5 oz.
    []Condiments: $0.13**[/B]
    Sunflower oil ration, 2.1 qt; white sugar ration, 1.4 lb; dried pepper, 12 oz; salt ration, 7.4 oz; ginger, 4 oz.
    Beverages:
    Water, 77.7 gal, provided by Oxfam, and includes water for all purposes. Rations organized by the United Nations with the World Food Programme.
    Try finding this stuff at the little gas station in Podunk which happens to be your only choice for a resupply. And look at the calories provided by these foods... They would be pretty good if you weren't burning 5-6,000 calories a day.

Images

Default I said "newer"!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Biloxi ain't a new member
    Not NEW...

Where is that picture anyway??? I know I have it here somewhere???

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Smile not trying to start anything

I was just wondering how hard it would be to do for the $10.I know it can .that's not all I got to work with but would love to be thrifty and spend where nessacery but save when available.and NO I am not a NEW member here Biloxi/Donjuan70 same person been here a while.sorry to revive an old thread didn't know there was already 1 on this.was just looking for some input on things to skip and places you must see.didn;t wanna start a whine fest..thanks DON

Images

A week of groceries...

Dairy:
    Not available to them.

Condiments: $0.13**

Beverages:

My local grocer was fresh out of "Goat meat, dried and on bone", and 51 cents got me one medium apple. Oxfam and the U.N. haven't opened a store near me yet.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

was just looking for some input on things to skip and places you must see.
    You didn't ask for that. No doubt if you ask for that you would get it.

Don't skip Maine. Stop in Duncannon for groceries and a burger at the Doyle but don't sleep there.

Images

can this be done and still have a good enjoyable thru hike???
    not that this is hiking, BUT I met some cyclist riding acorss the country and they are no more than $5/day...they seemed happy.

Images

IMHO, staying interested in, being happy with, or enjoying your hiking experience is a "mind-set". As long as one has the means to stay safe and healthy (shelter, fire, food, hydration, nutrition, etc.) then money, per se, is secondary. Granted, being able to "party" with other hikers in towns would be nice, but not necessarily required. Each person has to decide what is important to them. If your idea is mostly to party (ala spring break) then try Ft. Lauderdale or Cancun (a lot more fun - a lot less stress).

Biloxi:

I think other people have pretty much covered this one, and yeah, you should check out that other thread. There are quite a few good comments there and ideas on hiking on a budget, etc.

The simple answer to your question is that yes, once can absolutely hike on an $1800.00 budget, but in order to do so, you'll have to be extremely disciplined with your town time; your spending when off the Trail; and you better be prepared to go without a lot of things that other hikers take for granted. Can it be done? Sure. But it requires a degree of self-discipline and austerity that most people don't want to commit themselves to, and that most people are probably incapable of adhering to.

Images

Default his odds are better

The other thread was one where a guy wanted to thru on $1500. In this thread the guy seems to want to do a thru on $1800. (guessing at 180 days x $10 a day) Thats a little better but not much.

Rather that saying "yes" or "no" I think it would be better to answer by expressing your odds of doing a thru on $1800. No matter how much money you have you don't have a 100% chance of finishing. I think the odds of finishing on $1800 are better that the odds of finishing on $1500. And the odds of finishing on $1500 were slim.

Panzer

ps wait and your going to see another thread about a guy who wants to thru on $2000. It will keep going up a few hunderd bucks at a time until it gets to a reasonable level.
    Last edited by Panzer1; 12-09-2007 at 12:47.

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Default 10 a day

well actually I have around 3 possIbly 4 by then ..but was thinking of trying to have some left, at end and save during,, live a little harder push my self.do with out those 5 town burgers or night of drinking or multiple nights in a hostel.maybe 1 every week to 10 days to feel human again then head back out.eat what I need and just walk.repair gear wear nessacerry.not that I wont indulge in some fun but I cant blow it in towns..it can and has and will be done .thanks to those who left real helpful comments.thank you

Considering how easy it is to resupply in towns and how frequent towns are along the AT it's difficult to stick to a limited budget. If most hikers spend about $3000-$4500 on a typical thru-hike, and hit a town every 40-70 miles, then common sense says if you go to every other town you can probably manage on $1800.

The real thing to think about though is will you have the discipline to walk by places like Neels Gap, NOC, that are right on the trail when it's pissing down with rain? Most people will not. But if from experience, you know you can easily go 100 miles without resupply and don't mind carrying 2-3 days extra food then I'm sure it can be done. Fun, however, is another question.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++