WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default From Afghanistan to the Appalachian Trail - TriCities.com

From Afghanistan to the Appalachian Trail
    TriCities.com, TN - 10 minutes ago
    After being injured and earning a Purple Heart, Gibson, now 24, returned home and decided to hike the entire Appalachian Trail, which he completed last ...

More...

Journal Entries
    Images

what is the link so that i can copy it into my browser and read it?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tr...2-03-0005.html

Larry, the link is too long to be copied that way. If you right-click on the link, one of the options will be 'copy link location' and that will copy it so it can be pasted in a browser window.

:: Dino hugs Larry :::
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 12-03-2007 at 06:47.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanx FD for teaching me how to do that.

What an awesome story!

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

He looks real familiar. Anybody know his trail name? Article says he finished last month, was he SOBO or one of the late NOBOs?
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    He looks real familiar. Anybody know his trail name? Article says he finished last month, was he SOBO or one of the late NOBOs?
    From the article:
    On Feb. 25, he started the AT hike at Springer Mountain, Ga., and seven months later ended it in Maine.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Ah, thanks, FD. I scanned it too quickly and missed that detail.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

I think WB's own EWS also has the trail in his sights.

Images

I think you are right. Something I was thinking about today was this article. It got me to thinking about vets coming out of a deployment or an enlistment and hiking the trail. Good therapy.

I think if I ever became a millionaire and was looking for something to do for a good cause - I would create a "scholarship" fund for vets to thru-hike. Sponsor X number of vets a year to thru-hike with a $500 a month stipend and a support network of brothers and sisters on the trail. Name it after the first vet to do a thru for this reason - Earl Schaffer.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I think you are right. Something I was thinking about today was this article. It got me to thinking about vets coming out of a deployment or an enlistment and hiking the trail. Good therapy.

I think if I ever became a millionaire and was looking for something to do for a good cause - I would create a "scholarship" fund for vets to thru-hike. Sponsor X number of vets a year to thru-hike with a $500 a month stipend and a support network of brothers and sisters on the trail. Name it after the first vet to do a thru for this reason - Earl Schaffer.
    Excellent idea. I'd pay the extra taxes to have it included as an option after their tour of duty. That is, of course, right after the issue of sufficiaent medical care and payments to the families of the lost have been resolved.

Default Vet Thru-Hikers

Just read this article for the first time today and wow gotta say being a Marine Corp Vet it really gets my blood goin all that much more to hike the A.T., I spent 4 years serving our country most of it in Washington D.C. where I got my first glimpse as an adult of The A.T. in 2003 after a Shenandoah Valley Hike. That was I think the first time I really thought seriously about Thru-Hiking the A.T. But I'd just like to say that for me as a vet the hike is about looking for that next challenge and never being comftable trying to conform back into civilian life, So my hats off to all the A.T. Thru Hiker Vets, hey we should start a little club, I dont mean ne thing fancy but if you ever where or still are in the Armed Forces kinda thing, hmm who knows? Mike

p.s. I love the idea Sgt. Rock, I would totally send money to that cause but as a vet I also would never accept it haha, most of us are pretty hard headed lol.

++ New Posts ++