WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What's the coldest overnight you've ever endured, regardless of location?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Coldest Overnight Outing

What's the coldest overnight you've ever endured, regardless of location?

For me, it was during a weekend winter boy scout camp just north of the tip of New Jersey. It dropped down to -27* F that night, and only warmed up to -10* F the next day. This is where I learned that lacing your high-top leather boots tightly in cold weather is not conducive to keeping warm.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

For me it was also a Boy Scout trip in New Jersey. It was about 25 below. Boy, the things we did when we were young!

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Cold

ESwag between two sweeping hills. Anyway, the actual temp that night was 14 degrees, but the wind was gusting to 60-70 knots....trees were snappin' all around and the fire was flat on the ground....The wind chill was way below 0. I froze my ass off with all my clothes on in my little 30degree North Face Bag. The wind was blowin' right in the face of the shelter....got no sleep that night, and had to do some pretty rough ups and downs the next day, if you know where I was. Anyway, It was a really cold night on Da Trail....[QUOTE] KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Yea my coldest was with the Boy Scouts too. We were at Turnagan Pass, Alaska. We were there for two nights three days it was at leaste -15 during the day and 20 to 30 bellow at night. Slept in snow shelters and tents. I suppose were kind of used to it being from here but any person knows it's friggin cold at that temp. I used two army surplus winter mummy bags and a wool blanket. We would piss in bottles so we diden't have to leave the shelter they would freeze very fast.
    Let's share a joint and shed a tear, in loving memory of the last frontier!

Images

Default Cold camping

A Boy Scout trip to Shiloh battleground in Tennessee. 15 degrees overnight.
    Uncle Wayne

Images

Coldest night out uh,. One of my new years trips i guess. Camped on Grandfathers Mtn. around twenty years ago. It got down to minus 6 with blowing snow.Dont know what the wind chill was but it was alot. When i got up my breathe froze to my beard and when i went to knock some of it off it took my beard with it. Made me want to rethink my camping out on New years. Thankfully the next year was alot warmer.

Damn those scouts, Mine as well was -12 below in Granger Pond, ME last year.
    We stayed in Quinzees ( snow caves) and were warm as toast.

Journal Entries

On my first "adult" winter backpack we took the AT into Katahdin Stream from Abol Bridge on New Years Eve 1970. At 8 a.m. the next morning my thermometer stood at minus 32 F.

I figured if I could survive that, I could survive most anything, so I've enjoyed scores of winter backpacks since. I've been physically colder, what with wind and all, but never since has the thermomenter reading dropped that low.

Weary

It was 36 below. We were in a tent in the Whites. Trees were snapping, we stayed awake all night! The next morning after a short trek we found our car oil had frozen and couldn't be started for a while. It was a memorable night, a slight wind.

minus 18 F. Manashka bay, Kodiak with boyscouts on weekend campout. the ranger came and got me the second nite to take my wife to the clinic to deliver my daughter Katie.
    SEMPER PARATUS

Two weekends ago I was camping with the boyscouts and it got to a low of 11. I am glad I am an adult so that I have more body fat to keep me warm.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default coldest night out...

i've been tenting in 20 to 30 degree weather...

i recently did a 10+mile hike in Land Between the Lakes trails (Dover,TN) it was 6 degrees....22degrees when we finsihed up.

i prefer the 50s & 60s but if you gotta hike....you gotta hike (plus that body temp. will soar once a few miles pass...)

see ya'll UP the trail
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

A gripping and very tragic account of a unbelievably cold evening:
    http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...5&pagenumber=4

The balance of the morning saw relatively stable conditions. At noon it was a balmy 23 F in Whitefield and 8 F on Mt Washington. Not too bad, considering that this is January. But as lunchtime came and went, everything began to change. The bottom was about to fall out for Ken and there was very little he could do about it…except experience it.

The temperature profile for the rest of this day presents a sobering lesson in what can happen as a Winter high-pressure system moves across New England. The barometer in Whitefield bottomed out at noon. It then began a steady rise indicative of clearing and colder -much colder- weather. Winds also began picking up and by 4 PM were gusting to 97mph on Washington. Even protected Whitefield was seeing gusts over 30.

During the afternoon Ken might have made his way up Bond Cliff toward the summit of Bond, where he would eventually camp. As the afternoon progressed he faced increasing winds and falling temps. The wind was likely not his main problem however. It was the free-falling temperatures. According to reports, Ken had camped near the summit of Bond on Tuesday might. That placed him at approximately 5K feet. Conditions he would experience here were probably not that much different than those recorded on Mount Washington: Maybe 5 degrees warmer with a bit less wind. The following hourly observations from Washington tell the tale.

Noon: +9 Deg F
    1 PM: +7
    2 PM: +1
    3 PM: -7
    4 PM: -13
    5 PM: -16
    6 PM: -20

It must have been a cold and rushed super that night. But a good bag and sturdy tent would be up to the challenge, if the thermometer leveled off at -20. But unfortunately it didn’t. In a phone call with a friend that evening, Ken indicated that he wanted out, but seemed to be dealing well with the conditions and staying comfortable. However, things were going to get worse at 5k feet on the Bond ridge.

8 PM: -27
    9 PM: -31
    11 PM: -36
    1 AM: - 40
    3 AM: - 42
    6 AM: - 43.6

Ken must have been a very courageous and amazing person. Under those unimaginable conditions he managed to rouse himself, pack up and move. The fortitude and stamina he mustered to do this is the stuff of polar exploration legend. On his ill-fated quest for the pole, Scott stayed in his tent (for days) when conditions became this severe. Ken apparently did not feel that was an option. He needed to get out, probably because he was unable to stay warm hunkered down in his camp.

As he turned into the wind and made his way north and west toward the Guyot and then South Twin, the cold did not relent. At 8 AM it is –42 on Washington and –20 far below the Twinway in Whitefield. At 10 AM Washington records winds gusting to 98 mph. At noon the temp has reached only –36. Oddly enough, visibility on Washington is pretty good at 70 miles. South Twin must have looked so close...

I spent the night at Spring Mountain shelter in March a few years back, that had to be my coldest night. Me and my hiking partner were planning on hiking in Virginia, but we got caught in a blizzard on our way up to Perisburg. We made a phone call to a friend in Hot Springs who said they hadn't had a single flake hit the ground there so we decided to drive down to Hot Springs and just do an overnight trip in that area. Got a shuttle up to the gap just a few miles north of Spring Mountain shelter and started hiking sount back towards Hot Springs.

30 minutes or so into our hike we were up to our knees in snow with no other footprints around. I thought we would never get to the top of that mountain, it was beautiful, but awfully slow going. We made it to the shelter and decided to set up the tent to stay a bit warmer, I was looking for all the warmth I could get as I had brought my Western Mountaineering Iriquois sleeping bag, it's a great bag but it's only rated to 38 degrees. After I climbed into my bag I also noticed that my sleeping pad had sprang a leak and wouldn't stay inflated, so there I was, wearing all of my clothing, inside a summer weight sleeping bag, sepperated from the cold, snow covered ground by nothing more than a plastic ground cloth, the tent floor, a deflated sleeping pad, and the bottom of a very thin sleepign bag. Needless to say I didn't get a lot of sleep that night.
    I think it actually got worse when we made it back to Hot Springs and found out that the overnight low in Ashville had been something like 5 degrees, meaning it was somewhat colder on top of that mountain.

Default Alaska

Hey Everyone,

I spent four (4) years in Alsaka as part of the old 6th Infantry Division (Light). As I was in a Rifle Battalion, we had to endure sleeping without the benefits of tents. The coldest I remember was at Ft Greeley in late January where the median temp stood at -37. We spent three days and nights in "snow caves"...Funny though, I remember being cold ONLY after we left the caves to begin the trek back to te base,

Images

Default Coldest Night Out

Mine was when I was the 10th Mtn Div in Watertown NY on a field training exercise in Feb. Temp over night was -25 . This was back in 1999, stayed fairly comfortable in the "New Army Sleep System Bag". Worst part of it was that I had just recently returned from a year in Saudia Arabia so I was not yet aclimatized to cold weather conditions.

Harry

My coldest night was March 5 & 6, 2001 in the Smokeys alone at Tricorner shelter. One mouse froze that Tuesday AM near my sleeping bag. Wind chills were probably colder than -10, which weather radio indicated down at the Asheville Airport.

It snowed heavily Monday evening and I simply stayed put Tuesday, making it to Carter Shelter (8 miles) Wednesday. I learned a lot about post holing thru thigh deep snow. It is more fun now than it was then.

Images

Default brrrrrr

Winter camping trip in 1969 with the Boy Scouts @ -25F and using a kapok sleeping bag with a temperature rating of probably 50F!
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    Mine was when I was the 10th Mtn Div in Watertown NY on a field training exercise in Feb. Temp over night was -25 . This was back in 1999, stayed fairly comfortable in the "New Army Sleep System Bag".
    What is this New Army Sleep System Bag, and how much did it weigh?

Images

Default Army Sleep System

This is a system made up of three bags that fit into one another. A light weight summer bag that fit into an intermediate weight fall/winter bag and a gortex shell that fit over the other two bags. This coupled with the army issue cold weather polypro long under wear kept me warm. I am honestly not sure of the weight. But with the compression bag I could get the entire system smaller than the oldler style "down bag".

Harry

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++