WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What's the coldest overnight you've ever endured, regardless of location?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Annual winter camp

My coldest night was -34 F while doing an annual winter camp weekend here in mid-Michigan. That was unusually cold for the middle of Michigan's lower pennisula. That was about 8 years ago...and since then our coldest temp has been -14 F which was this past February.

Thanks to North Face for making a sleeping bag that keeps fools like me warm when the temps are bitterly cold!

Every day is a holiday, every meal is a feast.

-20 in 1979 on a mountain overlooking the East German border. My truck (wrecker) got stuck in the mud and snow, and I had to wait out a blizzard in a small pup tent. I had a whole case of c-rations and plenty of fuel and tin cans to make stove. I ate good, but unfortunately too many greasy spiced meat meals and John Wayne bars kept me running into the woods. I almost froze my butt off!

American Idiot
    Images

This question is kinda dependent on me having a thermometer, eh? Beats me what the temps were.

Images

About 7 degrees F.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

St. Mary, MT

The warmest day, in three days, was -34 F

I have no idea how cold it was at night. I stayed under my 0 F Polar synthetic sleeping bag (boy scout store) as a quilt, my 20 F Dream Weaver 3D Polarguard sleeping bag, and I wrapped my core in my 100% alpaca fashion poncho over the top of my wool-silk longjohns. The sleeping pad was about 3" thick.

I only stuck my arm out to make three "cookies" of instant oatmeal, sugar and lard patted into cookie shape and pronounced, "You are a cookie." I ate one each day.

I kept water warm in bottles, next to me. I drank the water.

Curiously, I did not pee. I did pretend I was a hibernating bear.

The rangers asked me how I survived. This is it.

I walked out, in my Baffin -50 F boots I had purchased because the boot soles don't fracture in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough
    Mine was when I was the 10th Mtn Div in Watertown NY on a field training exercise in Feb. Temp over night was -25 . This was back in 1999, stayed fairly comfortable in the "New Army Sleep System Bag". Worst part of it was that I had just recently returned from a year in Saudia Arabia so I was not yet aclimatized to cold weather conditions.

Harry
    Brother I can relate you your experience so well! Before coming to Iraq I spent a month doing field exercises in Ft. Drum (Jan-Feb). It got down -40 several nights. I was better off wearing tennis shoes rather than the Mickey Mouse boots. Coldest I have ever been in my life! Never knew wind could blow that cold! Great thing is when I de-MOB I get to come back to Drum during the same season. Yey!
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Quote Originally Posted by U-BOLT
    What is this New Army Sleep System Bag, and how much did it weigh?
    Unreasonably heavy! Nothing you would want to take on a extended pack. But when you use all 3 layers it's like a furnace. Gortex shell repels water extremely well.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Default -30

Also as a boy scout, spent 2 nights in minus 30F in Jaffrey NH at the BSA camp, at the base of Mt Monadnock. It was February of probably 1988.

We stayed in 3 sided shelters, and tried to keep the wind out by tarping the front entrances. Didn't work, and it was cold.

Images

Hmmmm. A small Thermometer weighs how much ?
    Guess I should start using one for winter hikes.
    Coldest night out would have to be while in military in either Alaska or Korea.
    Cold.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Default Cold Scout days

Almost forgot about those early scouting trips…we did something called “the Klondike” I was about 12 or 13 and stayed in a large tent with about 6 or 7 other kids. Don’t remember being that cold, but the scout master told us it got down to about 9 below during the night. Most of the other troops pulled out. I was wearing a army issued wool coat and my dad’s wool artic boots he had from WWII. They kept my feet toasty warm! I think it was the most fun of any scout trip I was on.
    Kevin

new years eve at the red river gorge in eastern ky. few years ago it got down to about -10 wind chill, that was a fun night

GAME 06

Default Painfull it was

Dec 72, Wyoming, minus 45, wind gusting to 50 mph. Everyone got frostbite. One of the toughest days I ever experienced. To this day one of my fingers is still numb on the end. hmmm think I will go get in bed

Images

I don't know how accurate it is but I bought a little survival whistle, compass, thermometer combo. A couple weeks ago a buddy and I went into Citico Creek Wilderness, SW of GSMNP. One night we decided to spend the night up on a bald. At 7pm and out of the wind my thermometer read -15.
    Two people plus winter gear is more than a Golite Trig II can handle...all buttoned up I came to realize that in that kind of temerature the tent has a major condensation problem....we stayed warm though but in the morning anytime we moved ice from condensation rained down on us.
    -15 at 7pm just after sundown..I have no idea how cold it actually got later that night..it was cold

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

-12F or so without windchill New Years Eve 2001 on the summit of Cold Mtn, NC in Pisgah NF. wind was blowing 35-40mph, so no telling how cold it actually was. about 18 inches of snow base.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Cripple Creek CO 1971
    9400 ft
    fire out
    wet gear
    cold.
    This was the day I discovered the power of jumping jacks. Got back to town and mom said we all crazy. 4 degrees.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Unhappy

During arctic warfare exercises in Norway (while I was a young Marine) we encountered temps close to -30 F on a few occasions......... I think the lowest was in the -40's, but the coldest was a frightfully windy night at -22 - with howling winds that gave an estimated wind chill of -80.....................

Newbie Hiker

Spent a night on top of Mt Cheaha In late Jan. of 1996. The actual temp. was around 0. The wind chill was around -20.

Default The poll's scale doesn't go low enough IMO...

I've dealt with as low as -42o F. actual in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    I've dealt with as low as -42o F. actual in Minnesota.
    Cough, Cough (bull****), Cough

Default New information for Blue Jay...

In January 1996, I was up there in MN/WI. Here's what www.weather.com shows the low temps there in Wausau, WI then:

Jan22°F4°F13°F1.09 in52°F (1973)-40°F (1951)

I was outside the town, where it was cooler, according to multiple thermometers at the plant at which I worked. Those temps in 1994 tied many records that they did not break.

================================================== ======

In Zimmerman, town just north of Minneapolis, another place I've spent time near: Jan22°F0°F11°F1.11 in55°F (1981)-41°F (1994)

Note the big regional cold spell in 1994 that tied or broke a lot of records in several states.
    ================================================== =======
    And, Ely, MN, a town I spent a winter near:

Jan14°F-9°F3°F1.06 in49°F (1981)-44°F (1982)
    ================================================== =======

See, it really does get that cold in the upper MidWest. North Dakota and of course Alaska do get colder, but Minnesota will never be a substitute for Palm Beach or Phoenix for those people so old they have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++