WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Trail

Ok call it three hours..I pre-ordered mine last night. When I eventually get it I'll give it a once over and let you all know what I think absed otn eh sections of this trail that I have hiked thus far.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

let us know when you get it. I didn't want to pre-order, but plan to order it when it is ready.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Pilgrim of Serendipity

I hiked the Bath section of the trail last weekend, from Stubblefield to FM 1374 (and back). Then I drove to the FM 1375 trailhead and camped along the shore of Lake Conroe north of where the trail meets it... nice and private and peaceful.

Generally the trail seemed in good shape... less muddy/ wet than it often is (at least until Sunday's rain) and mostly clear of blowdowns. In the Bath section, there's a place where it crosses private land and the blazing is sparse... I turned on a private trail that was much better trodden than the LSHT, but realized my mistake after a minute and came back. In a couple of other places where there had been a minor re-route, the trail was marked with pink plastic tape tied to trees.

It's a nice time to see wildflowers out there right now. I think April's my favorite time to camp in Texas. The skeeters aren't too bad yet, either.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Thanks for posting the information about the proposal by the Greater Houston Off Road Biking Assocation to forever change the nature of the Lone Star Hiking Trail by turning over one-third of it into a multi-use trail. The Master Plan that they presented to the USFS alludes to even further expansion, so it is my belief that the intend to try to open up all 128 miles to bike use. They also plan to create bike obstacles on the trail, as well as hold races and other group events on the LSHT.

It's been really hard to round up any hikers willing to send comments to the USFS - we need hikers to speak up and let the USFS know that the LSHT is worth protecting. It is the ONLY long distance, continously marked wilderness footpath in all of Texas. There are plenty of places -- and I'm talking hundreds of miles of trail just around Houston -- for bikers. But this little LSHT is the only place that hikers have protected just for foot traffic.

Even though the LSHT can't really hold a candle to the mighty AT, I think it deserves protection. It is unfortunately small and alone, but that makes it all the more important to protect. Since the 1960s, a small group of hikers has labored hard to keep this trail open. And their efforts are now apparent. The LSHT is as well marked as the AT. During my last two thru-hikes, I never once got lost, had to push through any brush, or felt that the trail tread disappeared, as others have claimed. Although some sections of LSHT may appear little-used, in an area that receives over 40 inches of rain a year and is covered by deciduous leaves each fall, it is natural for the trail to appear, in places, as if it is not used much. It has been my pleaseure to discover how many people actually use the LSHT regularly, and my disappointment that not enough of them have stepped forward to tout the benefits and beauty of this forest trail.

You can send your comments about the LSHT to Warren Oja, Chief District Ranger, Sam Houston National Forest at:

[email protected]

Mr. Warren Oja
    District Ranger
    Sam Houston National Forest
    394 FM 1375 West
    New Waverly, Texas 77358

Warren Oja is the head of this region of the forest and will be the one to make the final call on whether the LSHT will continue on as a trail limited to foot traffic.

By the way, the Sam Houston National Forest is considered part of the Greater Big Thicket. What is today protected--the Big Thicket National Preserve--is only a small region within a larger ecological area identified as the Greater Big Thicket. This region crosses and encompasses much of what is the SHNF today.

Also, there are OVER 8 million people within a three-hour drive of the LSHT ..... the publisher made an error in that drive time, for sure. Three of the top ten cities by population in the US are within three hours' drive of the LSHT: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, not to mention other populous areas outside city limits, such as The Woodlands, Conroe, and College Station. Nonetheless, the trail remains a peaceful walk in the woods. At least, for now. Mountain bike races will certainly forever change the nature of this trail.

As far as I'm aware, the book should still be published in the May timeframe. Of course, ultimately that is up to the publisher.

Nocona

not to resurrect an old thread but there is not a single word of this on the LSHT club website: http://www.lshtclub.com/Default.htm

Does anyone have any idea why they would not be up in arms about this?
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default I'm reading.....

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    Hmm, I seem to be the only one posting to this thread lately, but I'll go ahead and post this in case someone else is reading!.....
    Berningbush.... keep posting as I have family in Texas and do get down there once in a while... I have subscribed to this thread and really appreciate the effort you and Nocona put it getting the info out there......
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

I've requested that all of my scout leaders send in an email and try to get their boys to do the same.

amazon sys the book should ship may 19th...yay! I'll give it a good once over--I'm a very fast reader and let you all know what I think.

Thanks to those who have contacted the USFS. The LSHT Club is up in arms about it, but they're web site is not frequently updated. I wish they would post the news there. They have been actively posting information on the LSHT Club Yahoo Groups email list, of which I am a member. The list is open to anyone, though it was formed for club members. It's a great resource or news and info - very few posts, so it is not annoying.

Nocona

I went ahead and did the "pre" order also. I probably won't read it right away. But on vacation....
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Hey, I see Nocona's book is finally released, although Amazon's saying it's "not in stock." I've got a birthday coming up soon so I might drop some hints for family members.

Nocona, what's the update on the mountain bike controversy? I haven't heard anything for a while.

Not that I'm planning to hike on the LSHT anytime soon. This heat wave we're having is insane. My neighborhood reached a heat index of 119F yesterday... actual temperature 106F. I read on the LSHT Yahoo Group that a few brave souls showed up to hike Saturday morning, and it ended up with someone vomiting from heat exhaustion. I'll wait for better conditions, thank you every much.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

I've heard through the grapevine tht the USFS told the bikers no.

I was planning on going on that little excursion Saturday but I woke up went outside to drink my morning cup of milk and started sweating like a ice cold glass of beer in a monsoon I decided it might be too hot for me and proceded to go back to bed and sleep in that morning. At this point I'm glad I missed it.

According to my account it says it will ship sometime between June 25 and July 1. We shall see. Fortunately I'm a fast reader and have hiked quite a bit of the trail in sections so i will have a frame of reference to gauge it on.

I'm waiting for a cool down so I can get my scouts out into the wildernes seciton and clear those blow downs by hand. i figure that would make a decent service project for a weekend backpacking trip this fall...hike in and hacking away with the hand saws and axes.

Images

Right now the thermometer on my patio says 107 degrees. It's been as high as 111 this week. This is the hottest June I've seen here. Don't think I'll be hiking LSHT till fall. Thanks to those scouts for their service.

don't thank them yet...they haven't made it out there yet--it's too fraggin hot!!

I've got several service projects that I am going to suggest in conjunction with their hiking/backpacking trips but I'm gonna make that one happen. Perhaps we'll see you out there.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Yeah, don't let the poor kids die out there! I can't imagine chopping up tree limbs in this heat and humidity. My neighborhood's heat index has gone as high as 120F this week.

Come October, though, it would be a very nice and much-appreciated service project! And if you take them along by Mile 18 or so, they can see a nice little footbridge built by an Eagle Scout for his project.

I heard the USFS doesn't want anymore eagle scout bridges on the trail. I'm going to verify that with them shortly.

Nacona, or anyone, know the status on the book? Amazon today shows "not shipped, expected delivery (to me???) 6/26 to 7/6" and then a button to "email me when this is available". Sounds like it isn't shipped, and might not be for a while?

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    I heard the USFS doesn't want anymore eagle scout bridges on the trail. I'm going to verify that with them shortly.
    That's a pity. It was one of the best-made bridges I've seen on the trail... not like the ones tilted over at a 45 degree angle and falling apart!

well like I said I heard that and I intend to verify one way or the other. My guys can build some bridges.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Yay for the first hint of cooler weather in the morning air!

I really want to get out on the LSHT this weekend. Looking for a 10-15 mile loop that's not in the westernmost 22 miles of trail (which I've already hiked). Any suggestions?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++