WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    May I put in another plug for the PA section of the North Country Trail?
    Any sections in the western half of PA you'd recommend?
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    Any sections in the western half of PA you'd recommend?
    the whole NCT through PA is on the western half of the state.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    the whole NCT through PA is on the western half of the state.
    That's right. The NCT enters the state in the NW corner, I was thinking it entered in the NE corner of the state.

So, let me be a bit more specific, what 50-70 mile stretch would you recommend?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

That's right. The NCT enters the state in the NW corner, I was thinking it entered in the NE corner of the state.

So, let me be a bit more specific, what 50-70 mile stretch would you recommend?

Start at Cook Forest SP from Rt. 36 near the Clarion River, go NOBO (toward NY) thru CFSP, then thru state gamelands (no camping) to Allegheny National Forest. From there on, you're in ANF.

At about 60 miles, you'd come to Rt. 666 (oooooh), and Henrys Mills, near the Tionesta River.

Decent parking at both ends if you have two vehicles or you can get a shuttle. If you're really on your own (one vehicle, no shuttle) it would probably be a logistical nightmare to hitch up there.

If you go to the NCT site, get the four-map set titled "Southern Allegheny National Forest and Cook Forest State Park."

The maps show suggested campsites, parking lots, scenic views, etc. We did find a place to camp near water between Cook Forest and ANF when the NCT briefly left the gamelands and entered the smallish Kittanning State Forest.

Within this stretch, you'll find the NCT follows former logging rail beds, old mountain roads, woods hiking trails reminiscent of the AT, and more. Most of it's relatively easy, but there are some more noticeable ascents/descents starting midway thru. Except for the gamelands, you should be able to find ample places to camp not far from water. Be prepared to meet no one during your hike north of Cook Forest (we actually met two people the third day!).

There is one shelter in this section at Amsler Springs.

This is Natural Gas Country. You will notice, from time to time, that "gas" smell seeping from the underground pipelines in the area. Which told me not to fire up a stove right there. YMMV

So since everyone seems to be from PA, let me get some suggestions for my hike next Thanksgiving.

I was thinking of doing the northville-placid trail but dont think I'll be able to swing the vacation I'd have to take because we've been doing so much playing this year And besides that, I'm not sure I want to deal with the dacks in late november. There was plenty of snow up there in October when we went last year.

So, what is a scenic 40-60 mile trail that I could do that is less than 2-3 hrs driving distance from Johnstown, PA area?

anyone know much about http://www.alleghenyfronttrail.info/

or http://www.pahikes.com/ChuckKeiperTrail/default.asp

would the west rim trail be worth the drive?

How about the Black Forest Trail?...might be the prettiest in Pa.

geek

Images

When did the LHT start charging fees? I hiked most of it in 1990, and although we made reservations, I don't remember fees. How much is it?
    We'll have to go out through the kitchen.

$2 / person / night or $6 total for the shelter or campsite

geek

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post

geek

More if you're from out-of-state.

Fees are only for using the shelters or campsites. No fees are charged, and no reservations are required, to access the trail (without camping).

none of the fee/reservation rules are enforced.

but i wouldnt know...

amongnature.blogspot.com

FYI- I grew up just a few miles away from the LHT and return to that area often. If anyone needs anything or gets stuck in some way let me know and I can help out. If I'm in the area I'd be thrilled to offer shuttles or whatever. If you plan on hiking this trail in the near future send me a PM and I'll give you my contact information.

-Bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose View Post
    When did the LHT start charging fees? I hiked most of it in 1990, and although we made reservations, I don't remember fees. How much is it?

geek
    More if you're from out-of-state.

Fees are only for using the shelters or campsites. No fees are charged, and no reservations are required, to access the trail (without camping).
    none of the fee/reservation rules are enforced.

but i wouldnt know...
    We were charged $3.50 per person per night. My hiking partner was from PA but we didn't get a discount on his rate.

In our 6 days of hiking, we didn't see any rangers or anyone to collect our fees, not even when we went up to the Park Office.

Re the reservations, I made them but forgot to write down which shelter I had which night. So on our 4th night, we happened to stake out a shelter that someone else had reserved. They were cool about it and took another one. We never had more than one other party sharing shelter sites with us, usually we were alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    We were charged $3.50 per person per night. My hiking partner was from PA but we didn't get a discount on his rate.

In our 6 days of hiking, we didn't see any rangers or anyone to collect our fees, not even when we went up to the Park Office.

Re the reservations, I made them but forgot to write down which shelter I had which night. So on our 4th night, we happened to stake out a shelter that someone else had reserved. They were cool about it and took another one. We never had more than one other party sharing shelter sites with us, usually we were alone.
    Usually throughout the summer, fall, and winter / spring holiday weekends all of the shelters will be reserved. It is far easier if you just set up in a campsite to start with.

geek

Images

I did not see Rangers at most of the shelters I used on the LHT. But I did at two of them. In both instances, they arrived by vehicle about dusk, checked the area thoroughly, and asked to see our proof of reservation and ID.

If we did not have reservations (or ID) I don't know what their next move might have been. Hopefully, they would have let us be and simply expected payment on the spot.

I hiked the trail in late November. Significant snow was on the ground. I didnt see a soul other than hunters the entire trail.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Yellow Jacket
    Images

In both instances, they arrived by vehicle about dusk, checked the area thoroughly, and asked to see our proof of reservation and ID.
    That's what happened to me as well. I had a reservation but could not pay in advance (last minute reservation). The ranger showed up around dusk. He had a list of those that had reservations and monies due. I paid for the next two nights. I did not see one the rest of my trip.

If you don't have a reservation, they will check your ID and take your info. If there is a shelter available, you can have it, if not you must camp.
    If you don't have the money with you, they will still let you stay and just tell you to send the payment into the park office.
    The rangers for this trail are about the friendliest, most laid back easy going of any rangers that I've ever met....good people....be nice to them!

geek

Images

If you don't have a reservation, they will check your ID and take your info. If there is a shelter available, you can have it, if not you must camp.
    If you don't have the money with you, they will still let you stay and just tell you to send the payment into the park office.
    The rangers for this trail are about the friendliest, most laid back easy going of any rangers that I've ever met....good people....be nice to them!

geek

They sound like the kind of backcountry rangers others should emulate.

They sound like the kind of backcountry rangers others should emulate.
    Skyline,
    They are.
    I was out there at -6* with about 6" of snow on the ground. Our reservations were paid ahead of time and the 2 of us were the only registered people on the trail. The ranger stopped just to check on us even though they were familiar with us winter camping and hiking. We had a good fire going in the fireplace, the shelter temp was about 60* and we were sitting in polypro playing cards. He offered to ride us to a local restuarant to have supper with him. We declined, gave him money and invited him to bring three steaks and potatos back with him after work. He hiked in at midnight with the food, we cooked him supper and he stayed the night.In the morning he stated that that was his first time winter camping...we had a great night and in the morning he thanked us and said that he would never summer camp again. When we came out to the trail head to call for a ride, he was there in his personal vehicle and rode us almost 40 miles to our car. HE IS TYPICAL OF THE RANGERS ON THIS TRAIL!

geek

Yellow Jacket
    Images

If you go to the NCT site, get the four-map set titled "Southern Allegheny National Forest and Cook Forest State Park."
    Would it be this one???
    NCTA PA-02: Allegheny National Forest to State Game Land 95- Official 1:100,000 NCTA map 74.9 miles, includes the very southern portion of the Allegheny National Forest; Clear Creek State Forest; Cook Forest State Park; and State Game Lands 24, 283, and 95- available from the Trail Shop last revision 2006

Images

Would it be this one???

That sounds about right, but we hiked in 2002 and the date on the map you referenced is 2006. Hopefully it still covers the aame stretch as the four-set map I have from 2002.

I would definitely go with info regarding this that post-dates our 2002 hike. You can probably tell from the NCT website exactly what the new map covers. At worst, you might have to buy the map set for the section just north of the stretch this one is for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++