WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Photos

Journal Entries
    Images

ShelterBldr: is that a Husky? Does the dog have problems hiking with you in warm or hot weather? Thanks. And . . . great photo! Where was that at?
    -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    ShelterBldr: is that a Husky? Does the dog have problems hiking with you in warm or hot weather? Thanks. And . . . great photo! Where was that at?
    -SunnyWalker
    Yes it is...was (Rascal died over 5 years ago). Huskies CAN have trouble in warmer weather, but if you make sure to take frequent rest stops, don't hike in the hottest part of the day, and have plenty of water, they can have fun without any serious problems. That photo was taken between Eckville and the Allentown shelter, at the side trail to Dan's Spring. It was Rascal's last hike with me...now he hikes with God.

Journal Entries
    Images

Shelterbldr: A nice sentiment and thought. Thanks for sharing. The more I read on these pages (Dog forums) the more I see that a pet, in this case dog(s) can really become a friend to a person. In reading books on dogs over the years I could never really see it. But in this I begin to see what it is like. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Shelterbldr: A nice sentiment and thought. Thanks for sharing. The more I read on these pages (Dog forums) the more I see that a pet, in this case dog(s) can really become a friend to a person. In reading books on dogs over the years I could never really see it. But in this I begin to see what it is like. -SunnyWalker
    If you can see what it's like by hearing and reading stories, imagine how much stronger it is to actually experience it.

Being able to actually share and enjoy my favorite activities with my dogs (only have one at the moment but have had several over the years) brings me so much joy. I love my cats but I don't have the same feelings/emotions for them that I do any dog I've ever owned partly because I don't have the same experiences with them.

Now, anyone who's not a pet person will probably think I'm nuts by that statement! Ha!

Images

Default And this is another way to walk the dog....

Attachment 3149

Attachment 3150

Over the years, we've had nine siberian huskies (four are still with us), and they've each had their own distinct personalities. They DO become like members of the family - they are the children who never grow up and never leave home!

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey, can I get a smaller version of that for use on the AT? Dogs too? What a great photo. Where was this taken at? -SunnyWalker
    ps. dogs look beautiful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle2 View Post
    Hey Rabbit! I ran into Red B and his dog, LP (Low Profile) just before Mahoosic Notch. LP is a dachshund as well. Red B says he (LP) had about 3,000 miles on those short little legs. I will admit, it was interesting to see LP decide which side of the rock had the shortest drop. Funny, the day before I saw a Great Dane.
    I met Red B and LP at Miss Janet's house. Hiked a bit with them and that dachshund can hike!! BTW LP stands for Low Profile, cute!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I gotta start reading before commenting. Didn't even notice LP's name in the post I quoted dagnabit!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Well. Lost Puppy is his REAL name Low Profile is his trail name! I always felt that he should get the little guy "fixed"... a low profile causes him problems that other dogs never have to worry about!!

I was at Neel's Gap not long ago when a group rode in on their Harley's. One of them asked what my dogs name was "Tennessee". TN is a miniature dachshund, they renamed her Low Rider.

Images

Hey, can I get a smaller version of that for use on the AT? Dogs too? What a great photo. Where was this taken at? -SunnyWalker
    ps. dogs look beautiful.
    If you were talking to me, the upper photo was taken near Reading, Pa. The lower photo was take a few miles from the Rausch Gap shelter (on State Game lands where we frequently train because the snow stays in that valley for WEEKS after it's melted elsewhere).

And no, you can't have one for use on the AT - the wheels on the carts are too small to roll over the rocks, and the sleds need WAY to much room to turn!!

Journal Entries
    Images

OK Shelterbldr! But the pic looks fun. And JRabitt, thats got to be the cutest photo I have seen of a Dachshund. But how bout those famous JAck Russel Terriers? Nobody hiking with em? Lets see some photos.

the greatest traildog of them all. otto's raven. shes the boss of all dogs.with a look they freeze and look to her for instruction.
    matthewski

Images

Blaze, the trail dog having fun on an FT beach.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Default Rufous

In the Idaho Selkirks

Journal Entries
    Images

Bark, bark, whine, whine...... bark! (Dog for "great photos!"

Registered User Crabby Appleton's Avatar

Great pics of some really nice trail dogs.

I don't post often here but this thread brought back some great memories. My trail dog was named Pic (Piccolo). He wandered up to us back in 1986 on a week-long hike around Linville Gorge (NC) His wandering ways (off trail) challenged us for years.

He loved to hike and went on many multi-day hikes on the AT in NC, VA & VT. Even though he weighed in at a bulky 11 lbs., he was always good for a 10 mile day and loved it as much as we did.

Pic passed away a few years ago after a life of 18 1/2 years. IMO, his longevity was due in large part to lots of regular exercise and a love for the trail. I miss him dearly but he will be central in my thoughts as I NOBO on my thru attempt starting in March.

Thanks to all for bringing back wonderful memories. A dog that loves the trail is a special creature.

Journal Entries
    Images

Crabby Appleton: Thanks for sharing with us your memories and experiences. It sounds like your journey with Pic was a significant part of your life history. It is amazing that something as "simple" as a little dog can enrich our life and pull something out of us that helps us to appreciate and value life in a much more significant way.

April 2007, I took my dog, Emma, along with me on a short day hike in the Allegheny National Forest. She had a great time and we'll be getting out much more this year I hope!

happiest trail dog alive!
    Andy Pittman

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++