WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

:banana IAT Thru Hike 2009

I am planning on a 2009 Thru hike leaving around mid July. Looking for information on the trail (the IAT companion is limited). Have you hiked the trail or are you planning on a hike too?
    WalkingStick"75"

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but I did recently write for the contact info for the trail
    A contact person for Quebec is Eric Chouinard ([email protected]).
    For Maine, and the IAT overall, contact Dick Anderson ([email protected]).
    As for New Brunswick, none at the moment.
    Contact for Newfoundland is Paul Wylezol ([email protected])

Images

Default Canada IAT

I am curious as to how much road walk is left on the trail in Canada. Looking at the New Brunswick highway map it appears the beginning of the trail there goes alongside? the road for some distance. I guess I will have to join the website.

I would like to try the Canada section some day. I believe there is considerable road walk left in Maine.

We have a member from New Brunswick who posts here regularly. I believe he lives in St John.

http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/index

I don't know how to properly post a link but this is the URL

Don't forget the Cape Breton portion in Nova Scotia as well! I know it's not open, or even really worked on yet, but if you were ambitious, you could road walk along the spectacular Cabot Trail and be the first to do the 1200 mile IAT!

Images

ThanksI did send for and recieved all the information the IAT has except for the maps, I will wait until I get a little closer to when I can do the trail.

Maine, I am expecting most of it to be road walking. but I will probably send my gear someplace close to the border and motel it for the first few days. I should make 25-30 miles a day that way too.

Cape Breton portion, I will have to look into that.

Thanks everyone
    WalkingStick"75"

Smile IAT and motels in ME

You can hike the ME portion without any motel costs other than Baxter. There are shelters along the "trail". I did stay in the woods on my '04 hike near Baxter at a great waterfall on forest or state land and I spent one night at a KOA type campsite where I detoured off trail to get resupplied. I think they have a new shelter in that area now.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have here or by email. See my other post today.

Daybreak

Images

Is there a companion or data type book?

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    I am curious as to how much road walk is left on the trail in Canada. Looking at the New Brunswick highway map it appears the beginning of the trail there goes alongside? the road for some distance. I guess I will have to join the website.

I would like to try the Canada section some day. I believe there is considerable road walk left in Maine.

We have a member from New Brunswick who posts here regularly. I believe he lives in St John.

http://www.internationalat.org/Pages/index

I don't know how to properly post a link but this is the URL
    That would be me here in Saint John. I am curious also about how much is road and what it is like alongside roads for the initial portion from Katahdin to Mount Carleton. The Premier of New Brunswick is supposed to do that trip in 2009 with the Governor of Maine, so there might be more info on it, , unless that was this year. About 15 years ago we drove up the the Gaspe and on out way back we drove down from Gaspe to Mount Carleton Provincial Park, climbed Mount Carleton, and then drove on down to the St. John river, pretty much following the IAT route in reverse I think, so I vaguely remember the country. If you have any specific questions I might be able to bird dog them.

Default NB Section

The New Brunswick section is mostly roadwalk/converted rail trail. There are a few miles of border swath (beaver swamp would be more appropriate) or an alternative road. Then there are 2-3 days of rail trail/snowmobile trail . This borders a road but in many place diverts away from it for a few miles at a time along a lake and rivers at times so it has some wild character in places each day. You go through a couple towns. You then hike road for a couple days to Mount Carleton. This is an EMPTY straight road. The road in any case is not busy and is a pleasant forest/rural walk where cars stop and you interact with most of the locals you see. I got special treatment at a riverside campsite, stayed a local trail supporter's house, and got special treatment at Mount Carleton. I think I saw more ATV's on the rail trail than cars on the road. 2 cars an hour would be a good estimate. Mount Carleton is a day loop trail away from the road. Rumor was it might close or have funding cuts. From there it is about 3 days to Quebec which depending on your route can include some dirt roads near the main road and another rail trail that stays away from the road for about a day through a wild area and a short bushwack. There is also a nice side trip to your first "French" town if you need supplies. In 2004 there was little money and few volunteers to maintain even the short "bushwack" section. This can be skipped by more roadwalk on a lightly traveled highway.

Some people will bike portions of NB and canoe parts of it on the Restigouche river.

There is a guide. In 2004 it was somewhat out of date as are all guides but basics in the towns don't change much. I got mine at Trail Days but you can get it through the web site at www.SIA-IAT.com. Be flexible and adventurous.

Daybreak.

Images

I would like to do the IAT this year and have also considered riding my bike trough Maine and until the Restigouche river then canoe to Quebec then hike to Gaspe.

I can UPS my bike to Appalachian Hostel in Millinocket (I would fly into Bangor) and plan to take the train back home from Gaspe to Sarnia, ON. where I can have somebody pick me up.

Question is; but does anyone know if there is someplace where I can UPS my
    backpack/gear to and then ship my bike back home?
    WalkingStick"75"

Default Quebec support

Try David Leblanc in Matapedia at (418) 865-2100 or [email protected]. He is listed in the SIA_IAT companion. I think I talked very briefly with his wife in '04 - very friendly. According to the IAT guide, he provides shuttles and canoe rides, sells maps and passports for the IAT in Quebec.

I don't know about UPS, but mail takes more than 2 weeks to clear customs. There also may be customs issues/duties for shipped stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Try David Leblanc in Matapedia at (418) 865-2100 or [email protected]. He is listed in the SIA_IAT companion. I think I talked very briefly with his wife in '04 - very friendly. According to the IAT guide, he provides shuttles and canoe rides, sells maps and passports for the IAT in Quebec.

I don't know about UPS, but mail takes more than 2 weeks to clear customs. There also may be customs issues/duties for shipped stuff.
    Thanks, I will send him an e-mail
    WalkingStick"75"

++ New Posts ++