WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Approach Trail? I suppose a trail leading to Springer.
    2,000 miles may be far, but how can you measure your abilities if you never push them?

Journal Entries
    Images

That is exactly what it is. From Amicalola Falls SP it is approx 8.5 miles from Springer. Alternatively, you can have some one drop you off at Forest Service Road 42 trailhead. You have to hike 'South' for .9 mile to get to Springer and then you turn around and begin your journey North.

FS 42 is a dirt, gravel road, but passable for most vehicles (as long as you drive slow). It is about 6 miles to the trailhead.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead16 View Post
    The companion Cup is actually for mates joining me at different sections, parents don't really welcome the fact of me walking across the country alone. So, I will be taking the Companion Cup and Titanium cup for drinks.Spork, dually noted.
    Tell your friends to schlep their own cup.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Well, there's gonna be a LOT of family members and friends, and Some will bring they're own, but I am 100% that others are gonna bring a sleeping bag, tent, and clothes and think they're good.

By the way Skid, I want that cooking setup you have. What EXACTLY is it?
    2,000 miles may be far, but how can you measure your abilities if you never push them?

Images

Well, if they dont, oh well, they'll have to go without, you shouldnt feel responsible for outfitting them on YOUR trip!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

By the way Skid, I want that cooking setup you have. What EXACTLY is it?
    Which one, Lol?

You'll have to be more specific than that.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Ahhhhh, the one in your Jumpcut.com videos, mainly the one showcasing freezer bag cooking.

AND, the whole deal with the folks coming along is that they're all city-slicker cry babies. Frankly, I don't know how I'm gonna get them to stop crying when they find out that there's no McDonalds on the trail every four miles. And I read somewhere about cooking ideas and I'm a BIG eater. Not really a fatty eater, but I figure I'll take two in case since the whole system fits inside a cup, if the extra is too much, I'll send it home with a mate.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

And Binoculars, well, I'm a long-distance looker. I like to magnify the beauty of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    As for the binocs... I do too much walking to be looking off that far, and most areas are tree covered... not much to see.
    Gotta disagree with Cuffs here. A good lightweight binoc set is something I never bring on trail and always wish I had. It's not just for overlooks; you can use it to examine knots & burls high up in the trees, watch birds or other wildlife from camp, or view stars at night.

If you want it, and expect to use it, by all means carry it. Just make sure you use it, or be honest with yourself and send it home when you realize it's not worth carrying.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Images

Ahhhhh, the one in your Jumpcut.com videos, mainly the one showcasing freezer bag cooking.
    You coming to SORUCK? I'll have some kits with me, most likely.

You can glean most of the info from these threads if you want to have go at it yourself:

Turbo Tea-Lite
    TT2
    Coffeemaker/Cozy
    Chopped Heineken pot
    Magnetic windscreen

If not, stay tuned. I'll may offer some kits in the near future.

Wow. Going from the totally tricked out JetBoil system to a beer can pot! Sure you're ready?
    Skids

I haven't bought the Jetboil yet, but the heinekin system is lighter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    Gotta disagree with Cuffs here. A good lightweight binoc set is something I never bring on trail and always wish I had.
    I can agree with that US. But his binocs weigh in at 1# 9oz. To me, thats on the heavy side!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Yup, I figure I'll forget the Binocs, and just take a digital camera with decent zoom.

Have you looked at any of Tinman's cooking equipment? He has some real innovative stuff. try antigravitygear.com Jakebrake
    Jakebrake

Ok, actually, after seeing a few videos of the Jetboil...Ok, so it rocks like nothing else in this world! Definitely sticking with it.

Images

Ok, actually, after seeing a few videos of the Jetboil...Ok, so it rocks like nothing else in this world! Definitely sticking with it.
    That's kinda what I figured.
    Skids

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I can agree with that US. But his binocs weigh in at 1# 9oz. To me, thats on the heavy side!
    Ah yes. I was thinking of the smaller models. If I'm gonna carry 2 lbs of glass it'll be my SLR and extra lenses!
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Ok, forgot to say, no, I will not be at Southern Ruck. Don't have my license yet, or my car for that matter.

Well, the pack weight has gone down a considerable amount now, thanks and keep posting. Every idea helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++