WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Thanks for the info. Good stuff

Well, I am one to say thanks. And to you, MAGS, I publicly say MANY THANKS, for all that you have invested in making my CDT trek(and CT trek, gotta finish it up next yr though) that much more informed.

As Ice Axe said I have found your CDT(and CT) planning guides/info "spot on!" IceAxe and Mags I do appreciate the lighthearted positive informative comments from each of you, as well as from other posters. PLEASE keep them coming!

Virtually 100 % of what I've been hearing lately from IceAxe I would have to wholeheartedly agree with concerning the CDT.

I agree with 8KPeaks comment that the those preparing for a CDT thru have their work cut out for them, both on and off the CDT. Despite having the experience of preparing for 7 previous long distance thru-hikes under my belt I think I spent the most amount of time preparing for the CDT, although, some of that prep time was due to maildrops I wanted to employ. My previous preparations for thru-hikes made the CDT easier to plan for though. I helped me to never feel overwhelmed. Just the selection of CDT maps I wanted/felt I needed to have were initially daunting to accumulate. It is certainly more remote overall than either of the other two Triple Crown trails. The longest I went without seeing another human being was 5 days and I don't recall how many wks went by never seeing another CDTer.

The CDT through CO can be strenuous at any time of the yr, but if you actually wish to hike much of the "official" CDT through CO, and also take in some higher elev more scenic usually longer mile Ley alternates, and/or hit some 14 ers, as I did, in some snow, be ready for some challenging hiking!

If going SOBO, starting in Glacier/Waterton NP, around the typical mid/late June CDT start times, hit the trail in shape and be prepared to get mentally, emotionally, and physically engaged on Day 1!, as opposed to going NOBO, where, IMO, you can more easily hike yourself into shape and be less engaged initially. On Day 1 in Glacier NP starting out from the Belly River TH at the Canadian border I had to avoid a grizzly bear with her two cubs, a moose with her calf, and navigate over several feet of snow(no trail to follow). You usually can't turn your mind off on the CDT! You have to be engaged!

Jonathan Ley's maps were a Godsend, especially with the helpful notes. Yogi's CDT Planning Guidebook, like her other two Triple Crown Guidebooks, was well done. If planning a CDT thru I would say get both. I also thought Wolf's books, which are compact and divided up into sections to make them lighter were especially helpful in some MT and NM areas. I also got a lot of useful or contemplative info from Spiriteagles's CDT trail journal(s). SE's resupply/town info helped fill in some additional details that I wanted to know that might have been left out by Yogi.

I just finished the CDT two weeks ago and agree with Iceaxe and Dogwood on how great Mags’ write-up sums it up. I just wish I had read it before I left!
    I just wanted to add to the section on bears a bit: Most rangers, biologists, and locals think the grizz can be found anywhere on the CDT north of the Great Divide Basin. The largest concentrations are definitely found in Glacier, Yellowstone, and the Bob (where rangers helicopter in problem bears from Glacier…), but I saw one outside of those areas and many thru-hikers have seen them outside those areas, too. While hiking through Glacier, I had dinner with the dad of a good friend who just happens to be the Bear Ranger for the park. In 30 years of hiking summer after summer in the park, often with young children, he says making noise while hiking is the most important thing you can do to avoid a bad encounter. When I hiked, I called out constantly and also carried a harmonica which may not be exactly LNT, but if rangers are advocating it, it’s got to be good. Also, within the last few years, grizz have been protected by federal and state laws so can’t be hunted anywhere, including the Bob. IMHO, this is a good thing, but it is relevant to thruhikers because it may affect how the bears react to humans.
    Iceaxe and Dogwood are totally right about keeping the positive attitude. Thru-hikes are all about remembering that being lost, lightening, snow, and ticks don’t last forever (well, lyme disease arguably might, but you get my point). Iceaxe was right about not letting fear stop you from doing a thru-hike, and I really appreciate Mags’ document because it lays right out for you all the things that you think you should be scared of, and most importantly, why you really don’t need to let that stop you from thru-hiking the CDT. I really applaud Mags and hope more people find this.
    -Snorkel

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

BUMP - Updated Oct 2012
    http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-cdt-guide

Updated to reflect new map options, other trail orgs and the CDTC.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Next thru hike, the question is PCT or CDT?

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Next thru hike, the question is PCT or CDT?
    Depends what you want.

My buddy Disco LOVES the PCT: Well marked trail, good balance of solitude and social, good grade mainly. Probably the most friendly over-all thru-hiker trail in terms of the experience.

CDT? I loved the challenges, making your own route if you so wish and the less-then-polished and raw nature of the trail (Not quite as raw, though).

So, it depends on what YOU want.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti

I suggest the PCT before the CDT, especially if you think you might want to hike both of them anyway. The PCT serves as a much better training ground to the CDT than does the AT. And in general I agree with Disco's comments via Mags, I think it's the best of the three. Overall for me it's the best mix of great and varied scenery and climates while at the same time not as stressful, possibly a bit less risky (was for me anyway), and just in general kicks you in the a$$ less than does the CDT.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Updated my Q&D doc for the CDT:
    http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-cdt-guide

New:

• Section (Chunk) hiking info
    • Revised comments on the concept of purity on the CDT
    • More planning material avail

The trail is maturing. Hence more resources that make it easier to hike CDT in terms of logistics and planning. And the trail is defined enough now where a "purity" discussion can actually be had vs even five years ago, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++