WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Default Question for WB admin:

Who owns images posted on WhiteBlaze?

I have looked around a little for that info and haven't come up with much. I'm all for having the WhiteBlaze.net tag on the images I post.. But I refuse to surrender ownership of them. Please inform if posting images to WhiteBlaze translates into giving them up.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    Who owns images posted on WhiteBlaze?

I have looked around a little for that info and haven't come up with much. I'm all for having the WhiteBlaze.net tag on the images I post.. But I refuse to surrender ownership of them. Please inform if posting images to WhiteBlaze translates into giving them up.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I think that's just there so no one else steals them. They rightly can't claim ownership, when you're still in possession. If you're concerned don't post them. Anyone can lift them off the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    They rightly can't claim ownership
    Oh but they can... one line in their bylaws that says: "images posted to WhiteBlaze becomes property of WhiteBlaze" is all it takes.

It does matter. Copying SOMEONE ELSE'S images is one thing. Giving MY images to WhiteBlaze is another. That WhiteBlaze tag is fine by me... I dont mind that a bit, happy to empower WhiteBlaze in that way...

But if WhiteBlaze claims ownership and I have to deal with copyright infringment on MY images if I choose to publish them at some point then ya... I will post them elsewhere.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I am willing to bet that S. Rock, AtTroll, Dixie, and FD do not have a photo section specifically for the purpose of claiming ownership of a wide variety of said photos.

This is not a website for the personal gain of the ADMINS, they have their own photos anyway,

Kirby

Images

Excellent point Kirby. I do not assume so either, but making assumptions is not good enough. I need to know! I'm in the middle of a ~10,000 mile triathlon across North America. I'm passing through some of the best scenery to be found on this continent and I really need to know if this still belongs to me:

Posts become the copyright property of WhiteBlaze. Please don’t use them elsewhere. Please don’t post items here that are copyrighted elsewhere.
    http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

Images

After all, some of these images might be worth a buck or two:

Images

Thx tater... that's what i needed to know

"By posting on the WhiteBlaze message boards you are agreeing to the above and relinquishing all copyright to the contents of the post(s) to WhiteBlaze."

Images

I deleted that image of the Yellowstone River sunset from my gallery... Too bad too, someone gave it a 5 star rating. Thx for that!

I think you're making way too big an issue out of this.

I deleted that image of the Yellowstone River sunset from my gallery... Too bad too, someone gave it a 5 star rating. Thx for that!
    Just curious, how did you go about deleting your photo?
    WALK ON

Yeah, not before I "stole" it off your attachement. I also gave it the 5 start rating.

Your pictures are good but there's millions of them on the internet. It's not likely someone can steal one off the 'net and do much with it. Since you have the original and it's hopeful you had your camera set to a high resolution, you may able to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I think you're making way too big an issue out of this.
    Perhaps, but what happens if I want to publish some of my photos? WhiteBlaze can claim copyright infringement and then what?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Just curious, how did you go about deleting your photo?
    Get to your gallery, click on your image, on the title bar of the image is "Image Tools"... Edit image.

Thx Sly, but ya... You have MY image. And ya, I got the hi-res one still. But if I want to publish a picture book or something down the road, you having my image means nothing. Me publishing "WB's" image is another story.

Thx Sly, but ya... You have MY image. And ya, I got the hi-res one still. But if I want to publish a picture book or something down the road, you having my image means nothing. Me publishing "WB's" image is another story.
    Maybe I'll publish it! I'll just crop the whiteblaze.net.

Yo, Rift. If you're concerned about ownership, get your own domain and hosting service, and simply post links to your images... rather than the images themselves. There are a few of us here who take our photos somewhat seriously, but don't kid yourself about their worth.

Images

Maybe I'll publish it! I'll just crop the whiteblaze.net.
    lol
    I can prove origination which makes it my image and I would have the legal right to a law suit. And I would win.

If images in your gallery are copyrighted by WhiteBlaze, they could sue and win. Understand that I'm with DixiCritter and Kirby, I don't think that gallery is there to screw us. I dont think that Rock or Troll would force any such issue.... But, the possibility exists. Copyright is copyright and what happens if some corporation makes them an offer they cant refuse and wind up selling WB to the highest bidder... You can bet any corp that sees $$ would make a play for it. The point is, I will maintain copyright of my images. End of story.

I own nature-trek.net Terrapin. I will do just that. Their worth is not for you or me to decide. No kidding!

Perhaps, but what happens if I want to publish some of my photos? WhiteBlaze can claim copyright infringement and then what?
    We have already had users here that have published their own photos for sale. You are in the clear Rift Zone, we won't come after you. Sheesh get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Yo, Rift. There are a few of us here who take our photos somewhat seriously, but don't kid yourself about their worth.
    If you can't blow it up to 8 x 10 or larger and still have it look good it's basically worthless. Most of the time you're paying for matting and frame anyway. Hiking photos, especially posted to the 'net, are a dime a dozen.

I own nature-trek.net Terrapin. I will do just that. Their worth is not for you or me to decide. No kidding!
    "This site under construction." Hehe.

FWIW, I've owned terrapinphoto.com for these last eight years or so. Big whoop. The grand total of photo sales from that site amounts to a big fat zero. I've sold many photos over the years, had several published. There are a few folks on WB that have seen (or own) my prints. De facto, any image posted to the web (ie., the web-based image, not the original) becomes public domain. Anyone can download it. The copyright to the original is yours by virtue of having clicked the shutter, and there are further steps you can take (eg., formal copyright registration) to enhance/enforce your legal position.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    We have already had users here that have published their own photos for sale. You are in the clear Rift Zone, we won't come after you. Sheesh get a grip.
    I hear ya, but:
    Copyright is copyright and what happens if some corporation makes them an offer they cant refuse and wind up selling WB to the highest bidder... You can bet any corp that sees $$ would make a play for it.
    If you can't blow it up to 8 x 10 or larger and still have it look good it's basically worthless.
    At 6 to 10 megapixels per... Not so worthless. And Terrapin, their value is not not really the point anyway. Copyright is. I'm just dotting my i's and crossing my t's. That's all.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++