WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I added a little code so that you could not save the photos in the photo section now by right clicking and saving them.
    What did you do that for?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    What did you do that for?
    Because everyone was so concerned about there photos getting lifted.

There are still ways around it like in anything else.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I added a little code so that you could not save the photos in the photo section now by right clicking and saving them.
    Very easily circumvented, however. The IE image bar does that as well as any screen capture application.

Let me respectfully suggest you remove this code. I see the purpose but it won't serve that purpose. Anyone who wishes to save such a photo will have little problem doing so. It certainly won't prevent unauthorized dissemination of such images. All it will do is annoy the guy who wants a new screen background on his PC's desktop and so has to take another step.

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

A nice touch, but not fool proof... And let the record show, I was never worried about lifting photos. Ownership was my concern.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

The photos section are supposed to be for our users to share photos with each other. In doing this you've now made it more difficult for them and it won't stop those with ill intentions.

Images

The photos section are supposed to be for our users to share photos with each other. In doing this you've now made it more difficult for them and it won't stop those with ill intentions.
    Agreed, I'm with JoeHiker and Dixi, your effort is appreciated but I too vote to remove the code. The WB watermark and ownership going to the originator is plenty to statisfy. (me at least)
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Journal Entries
    Images

Now I am confused.

The photo section is still for sharing photos. You post your photos for others to view. What am I missing here? If you wanted to give your photos away then you could email them to other person. This only semi prevents the unwanted lifting of photos like everyone was concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    Very easily circumvented, however.
    Yes your right is can be worked around.

This is a perfect example of, no matter what we do someone is going to complain. This is not directed at you Dixi or JoeHiker.
    AT Troll (2010)

Now I am confused.

The photo section is still for sharing photos. You post your photos for others to view. What am I missing here? If you wanted to give your photos away then you could email them to other person. This only semi prevents the unwanted lifting of photos like everyone was concerned about.

Yes your right is can be worked around.

This is a perfect example of, no matter what we do someone is going to complain. This is not directed at you Dixi or JoeHiker.
    Why should they have to email each other the pictures, when they've already uploaded them?

And if it is so easily gotten around this feature what's the point?

Images

This is not directed at you Dixi or JoeHiker.
    Must have been directed to me. You have not dircetly addressed me once. My apologies for pissing you off.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default What????

You know guys, this is a total, well, I won't say it. Just because 1 person had an issue with ownership, why the Frick should all of us suffer. I think that this has totally been blown out of the water.

I just assume go to only my Trail Journals to post pictures now so my family and friends can share them without having the hassle of this total foolishness.

Troll, I sent you, dixicritter, SGT Rock, and Generoll the PM just to cover Rock and all the administrators about the BMTA picture so there won't be any problems. I by no means had any thoughts of you or WhiteBlaze profiteering in any way.

I am starting to wonder what kind of "Community" this is for "Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts".

Rift, you started this "fecal matter". I hope you are satisfied.

Why don't you grow up for Chrissakes and start your own web site. You aren't making too many friends here.

SD

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    Rift, you started this "fecal matter". I hope you are satisfied.

...You aren't making too many friends here.

SD
    So I've noticed. And no, I'm not pleased with the way this is turning out. I must say, that having the copyright notice more in line with Attroll's philosophy on the matter is a welcome outcome... But the rest of it, I could care less for. Let the ankle biters have their fun at barking at eachother, I prefer to stay away from all that... Little did I know I was putting myself on center stage.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here. The extra code to protect the pictures is not needed. A legally vetted user agreement that protects the rights of any content provider as well as WB is all that is needed.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Sorry, AtTroll, but this doesn't seem to be a good idea to me. I have had several people thank me for uploading full resolution pics of them so they could save them.

As has been noted, anyone who wants to lift these photos for republication without getting permission can easily defeat the disabling of the right click feature. I just went out saved a photo from the gallery to my computer without using the screen capture function - so I got the full resolution photo and could reuse it however I please (except that I have the ethics to ask before doing anything off the site with a photo posted here.)

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Very easily circumvented, however. The IE image bar does that as well as any screen capture application.
    In Firefox (at least in my configuration) all it does is pop-up a warning dialog that says "this function is disabled". The right-click menu still comes up and its "Save Image As..." option is still available.

Let me respectfully suggest you remove this code. I see the purpose but it won't serve that purpose. Anyone who wishes to save such a photo will have little problem doing so. It certainly won't prevent unauthorized dissemination of such images. All it will do is annoy the guy who wants a new screen background on his PC's desktop and so has to take another step.
    I agree tend to agree here. As Dixie pointed out, you're trying to allow users to share their photos; one acceptable use for a shared photo is a desktop background or screensaver image.

And you're right; someone's going to complain no matter what you do. Good luck finding the balance. (Hopefully you see this thread as a help to that rather than as a hindrance ... or will, in a few days!)
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Journal Entries
    Images

This is a prime example of trying to do something to address the peoples concerns and no matter what we do there is going to be some that are not happy with it.

I am going to go remove the code now. As far as I am concerned now. This subject is done and over with. There should be no more complaining about things getting lifted from the web site.
    AT Troll (2010)

I think we all need to settle down a little. I don't think Rift's intent was to make things more difficult around here. No one is accusing WB of trying to run away with any one's goods. But, I think there are some good points raised here about property rights and those should be addressed. Counting on the good will of current owners of the site will not protect people's rights over the long haul. The concerns are reasonable, some of the reactions are not, so let's all calm down and see if we can have a user agreement that works in a way that supports WB and content providers alike and will stand up in court if and when it is ever needed. No amount of coding is going to solve the issue and, as has been suggested, will probably do more harm than good by disabling features that the good members of WB have become accustomed to using.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

From the "You know it is time to go hiking when....."
    Quote Originally Posted by gaga View Post
    its time to go: when people start arguing about Photos on WB, its time to go and take some more pictures... reminds me of kinder garden ... this is mine... no it is mine...

This is a prime example of trying to do something to address the peoples concerns and no matter what we do there is going to be some that are not happy with it.

I am going to go remove the code now. As far as I am concerned now. This subject is done and over with. There should be no more complaining about things getting lifted from the web site.
    Thanks Troll. Please don't be so down about the issue. We know you have the best intentions at heart. There just may be a better way of handling the sometimes ornery crowd around here. We all appreciate what you do.

Why don't you do yourselves a favor and close this thread?

yeah! lock this bitch up!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++