WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Rift Zone does have a legitmate concern if he plans on publishing his photos in the future. Based upon the TOA WhiteBlaze now owns the copyright for the photos he upoaded to the White Blaze site. If he were to publish a highly profitable book and used the images that WhiteBlaze currently owns without WhiteBlaze's written permission, White Blaze could sue for a piece of the profits.

However, if Rift Zone is serious about wanting to maintain his property rights to his images he needs disclose ownership rights anytime one of his images are seen in public. It is his responsility to protect his copyright. It is generally accepted that any image posted on the internet without clearly showing copyright ownership is considered as being in the public domain. Obviously the WhiteBlaze Admins have been advised to such as they immediately mark all images as White Blaze Property.

You can't copy them off the 'net at 6-10 megapixels, therefore the images are worthless as far as lifting them and trying to sell them. Regardless, no one is going to take your right to sell the originals or ownership. Get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Zone View Post
    I can prove origination which makes it my image and I would have the legal right to a law suit. And I would win...
    Yes, you can sue. Anyone can sue. But I doubt you would win. As stated in my previous post you have to not only prove ownership (origination), but you would also have to prove you actively protected your ownership. Up loading to the web without indicating copyright protection is usually considered a release to public domain, thereby allowing anyone to use the image without consent.
    Last edited by FatMan; 11-04-2007 at 14:39.

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Sly, lifting them off the net and the question of ownership are entirely distinct. I dont care who has a copy on their harddrive or otherwise. Who owns them is what I care about.

Thx for the info FatMan. Much appreciated.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

If you're really worried about your photographs, you need to watermark them with copyright information before letting them go in any form.

Images

Indeed. So I shall.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Besides watermarking, if you get your gallery up, you can take measures so they're not easily lifted. If people right click and try to save, you can put in a warning message. Also some nastier thing than that too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    you can take measures so they're not easily lifted. If people right click and try to save, you can put in a warning message. Also some nastier thing than that too.
    I hear ya. I was raised in Silicon Valley... Knowing a bit about computers comes with the territory. What I can't handle, my friends can! But again, i'm not worried about copies laying around on other people's systems. I'm talking about ownership alone.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

The day WhiteBlaze goes after someone for copyright infringment on a photo they posted on the site is the day the ATC and NPS decide to close the Appalachian Trail hiking.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The day WhiteBlaze goes after someone for copyright infringment on a photo they posted on the site is the day the ATC and NPS decide to close the Appalachian Trail hiking.

Kirby
    Kirby, I have little doubt that you are correct. But when it comes to money I have seen stranger things happen. The fact remains, WhiteBlaze would have the right as they currently have ownership of the uploaded photos.

Images

Kirby, I agree... i do!

but as FatMan notes, it does not remove it from the realm of possibility.

You really think a lot of Attroll and SGT Rock then to keep going on and on about this after being told that they wouldn't come after you for publishing your photos.

Well if WB is not going to enforce the agreement, then why is the agreement in place?

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    You really think a lot of Attroll and SGT Rock then to keep going on and on about this after being told that they wouldn't come after you for publishing your photos.
    dixiecritter, I apologize if you see my posts as an attack on SGT Rock's and Attrol's integrity. I think I can speak for every member of this site when I say we hold both SGT Rock and Attrol in the highest regards. (you too.) This discussion is not about you all specifically. It is about the legal status of the uploaded images (here as well as many websites). It is incumbent upon Rift Zone to protect his images if he has future plans to publish them in pursuit of profits. The legal facts are that he has failed to do so in uploading the images to the WhiteBlaze site, unless he has entered into a separate agreement with WhiteBlaze that supercedes his prior TOS agreement. He may very well have learned some very important lessons in this thread, and WhiteBlaze may have done him a huge favor by immediately indicating the images are owned and not for use in the public domain. I am very confident that any legal issues would be quickly resolved with Rock's and Attrol's assistance. But remember, in twenty years when Rift Zone may want to publish, Rock and Attrol may no longer own this site.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default I agree!

You know Dix,

I have to agree with you. I don't think that Rock, Attroll, you, or anyone else would jeopardize the future of the WhiteBaze website over some photos.

Rift,
    You have been a WB member for over 4 years. Why are you introducing this issue now? I don't understand. Sure everyone would like to make Bill Bryson money, but be real.

I have had my share of "issues" here and they ALL got worked out with respect, courteousy, and honesty. What more do you want?

If you are that concerned, start your own blog or whatever. Enough is enough already.

SD

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Most websites with forums have wording in the Terms of Service that states everything uploaded to the site becomes the property of the site. This is done to keep other websites from lifting whole discussions, whole photo galleries, etc. and posting them as original content on their sites without acknowledging that the info or photo came from WB -- not to take possession of people's posts or photos for personal gain.

It is my understanding that Rick (ATTroll) has the software add a watermark to the photos uploaded here to prevent them from being re-publishing without the permission of the person who uploaded them or WB. By putting the WB watermark on the photos as they are uploaded, WB is letting other sites know that permission must be obtained to use them (what FatMan said Rift Zone should do to his photos in the thread). The one time I know of another site wanting to use a photo found on WB, the other site's owner was directed to the true owner of the photo - the person who uploaded it - to decide if it could be used.

Several members here sell their photos both on line and in a more traditional setting. They have some of the photos they sell uploaded to this site in a lower-resolution format. This has never been a problem and I could not see it ever becoming a problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    Enough is enough already.
    My question has been answered. Now I have to answer to posting my question? Fine, here it goes:

Dave, it is an issue now because I was considering sharing (posting here) some images that might be appreciated. Now, with anything I want to retain, I will be sure to mark them and post them to my site, leaving redirects here on my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Well if WB is not going to enforce the agreement, then why is the agreement in place?
    I have no grand delusions that include making a million off my images but that doesn't mean I'm gonna give up the right to try.

Dix, with all due respect, what you said means nothing in a court of law. It is the agreement that matters. Attroll and SGT Rock could tell me the same thing and it would not take presidence over what is in the agreement. WhiteBlaze owns the content of this site. It is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    I am very confident that any legal issues would be quickly resolved with Rock's and Attrol's assistance.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    But remember, in twenty years when Rift Zone may want to publish, Rock and Attrol may no longer own this site.
    And that was my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    worked out with respect, courteousy, and honesty.
    If that is the path you wish to take then accept my apologies for irking you all. I merely posted what I thought to be a legit question over some legalities.
    Last edited by Rift Zone; 11-04-2007 at 17:39. Reason: checking my tone.

Default Out of Place

This is not a personal question and as far as general thread questions it is just out of place. If you are not an admin of this site. Should have been placed as a question to the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
    "I am just going outside, and may be some time."
    - Lawrence Oates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Crusader View Post
    This is not a personal question
    Which is precicely why I posted it in a public setting.

Journal Entries
    Images

Let me explain the image/photos that users have uploaded to WhiteBlaze. The person that posted the image is the owner of the image and we here at WhiteBlaze will never use the image for profit or gain without the written permission of the owner. We also will not grant anyone else permission to use anyone else’s image that is on WhiteBlaze without the permission of the owner. The reason for the watermark was not to have WhiteBlaze claim ownership of the image. The purpose of the watermark was to prevent others from sealing the image from WhiteBlaze and using it without the owner’s permission.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++