WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Default What do you carry on dayhikes?

I was reading a thread about a dayhiker who had to be rescued in the Whites. He was wearing a T-shirt and shorts and carried no extra food, water or any sort of shelter. This made me think that since this site is often read by those who are new to hiking, it might be a good idea to list what we carry on dayhikes.

The Dinos carry:
    • Multitool - knife, small LED lite, tweezers, scissors, a punch for emergency pack strap repair, a needle with nylon braided thread
    • two ponchos - in addition to being our raingear, they can be an emergency shelter.
    • a small spool (200') of polyester kite twine - mainly for tarp rigging, but strong enough when multiple strands are used to hold a rotund dino's weight. Can be used for splinting as well
    • a pair of DWR (water-resistant) nylon windsuits. These are very light and compressible. They can replace wet clothing and be layered over other clothing for warmth. Once, we stuffed the suits with dry leaves and pine needles to avoid hypothermia - we had started out in shorts and T-shirts on a sunny day in the mid-70s - the wind picked up to a steady 20 miles an hour and the temp dropped about 30* in about an hour, . While a windsuit stuffed with duff isn't the most comfortable item you will ever wear, it is surprisingly warm.
    • Small first aid kit - tiny tube of sun screen w/ DEET, single use neosporin packet, tiny tube of vasoline (chapstick, skin protectant & can be used to start a fire), 2 3/4" bandaids (fabric kind), one 3" square of gauze, duct tape.
    • A small roll of toilet paper - field stripped
    • extra gorp and a lightweight dried food that can be prepared in a freezer bag with cold water (usually dried hummus or dried bean mixture)
    • a small eyedrop bottle filled with bleach (emergency water purification)
    • two emergency 'space' blankets (not comfortable, but will keep you from freezing to death) Can be used as ground cloth.
    • two fleece beanies - covering your head is first thing to try when you start getting cold
    • more clothing for warmth depending on season / area
    • a large-marble-sized ball of dryer lint and candle wax (homemade firestarter), two waterproof strike anywhere fireplace matches & a small lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I was reading a thread about a dayhiker who had to be rescued in the Whites. He was wearing a T-shirt and shorts and carried no extra food, water or any sort of shelter. This made me think that since this site is often read by those who are new to hiking, it might be a good idea to list what we carry on dayhikes.

The Dinos carry:
    • Multitool - knife, small LED lite, tweezers, scissors, a punch for emergency pack strap repair, a needle with nylon braided thread
    • two ponchos - in addition to being our raingear, they can be an emergency shelter.
    • a small spool (200') of polyester kite twine - mainly for tarp rigging, but strong enough when multiple strands are used to hold a rotund dino's weight. Can be used for splinting as well
    • a pair of DWR (water-resistant) nylon windsuits. These are very light and compressible. They can replace wet clothing and be layered over other clothing for warmth. Once, we stuffed the suits with dry leaves and pine needles to avoid hypothermia - we had started out in shorts and T-shirts on a sunny day in the mid-70s - the wind picked up to a steady 20 miles an hour and the temp dropped about 30* in about an hour, . While a windsuit stuffed with duff isn't the most comfortable item you will ever wear, it is surprisingly warm.
    • Small first aid kit - tiny tube of sun screen w/ DEET, single use neosporin packet, tiny tube of vasoline (chapstick, skin protectant & can be used to start a fire), 2 3/4" bandaids (fabric kind), one 3" square of gauze, duct tape.
    • A small roll of toilet paper - field stripped
    • extra gorp and a lightweight dried food that can be prepared in a freezer bag with cold water (usually dried hummus or dried bean mixture)
    • a small eyedrop bottle filled with bleach (emergency water purification)
    • two emergency 'space' blankets (not comfortable, but will keep you from freezing to death) Can be used as ground cloth.
    • two fleece beanies - covering your head is first thing to try when you start getting cold
    • more clothing for warmth depending on season / area
    • a large-marble-sized ball of dryer lint and candle wax (homemade firestarter), two waterproof strike anywhere fireplace matches & a small lighter.
    I would consider carrying a small packet of alcohol gel instead of the antibiotic ointment and the dryer lint. You could use it to clean a wound and start a fire. You can wait until you get home from a day hike to apply antibiotic ointment.

Waterproof matches
    poncho
    para-cord
    dri-clime jacket
    knife/multi-tool
    headlamp
    Vittles
    beer

I figure that will get me through most situations

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I almost never carry rainpants, but a raincoat or windbreaker and some long pants are a good idea anywhere, or at least an emergency poncho (very light) and some long pants and a long sleeved shirt. They don't have to be heavy, just something more than bare skin. A knit or fleece hat is probably the most important piece of clothing you can carry, also.

Also, a water bottle, a first aid kit, some matches or a lighter, a knife, and an LED light are musts. These are in case you get stuck overnight somewhere, you can at least light a fire for signalling and/or warmth. A little bit of extra food, even if only a candy bar or two, are a good idea.

AND A CELL PHONE! I know some people will argue, but if you really need it, you should have it. The people without enough sense to leave it off unless it is a real emergency will not listen to anyone else's advice anyway.

All of this can fit in a small backpack. Sorry to those who insist on just a fanny pack.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Jacket
    Water tablets
    emergency blanket
    knife
    headlamp
    energy bars

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

depending on where i'm going, and how many people i expect will also be around, i might bring:

-my daypack
    -a military poncho and a few feet of para cord
    -the repair/first aid kit, lighter, toilet paper, swiss army knife, moquito repellent, and aqua-mira water purifying drops from my regular pack
    -one extra meal

In addition to some of these items, I always carry a whistle, a map and compass.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

SAK
    1st aid: blister, pain, bleeding
    emergency poncho
    warm Jacket (depends on temps)
    zip off legs to my shorts
    water treatment
    cell phone
    map/compass/whistle
    stove/pot for coffee/tea/cocoa (I like to enjoy my hike )
    camera
    ***Emergency survival cards*** These go with me everywhere. You never know.

food/water for an overnight

Many times I'll be doing shakedowns, so I'll just carry everything minus food/water.

To me it depends totally on the location and distance.

I'll carry many of the items listed above on some hikes. On others I will basically just have food, water, and car keys.

beer and beef jerky

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    beer and beef jerky
    Beer in camel pack? Or do you have one of those cool beer can/hats.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Beer in camel pack? Or do you have one of those cool beer can/hats.
    cans of Busch beer in my day pack. i don't use one of them weenie camelback thingys

cans of Busch beer in my day pack. i don't use one of them weenie camelback thingys
    Weenie? Ouch!
    Busch? I guess they don't have Natural Ice in your area.

Is there any piece of gear that you don't use but yet you don't consider to be weenie?

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Weenie? Ouch!
    Busch? I guess they don't have Natural Ice in your area.
    Natty Ice is schwag

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Is there any piece of gear that you don't use but yet you don't consider to be weenie?
    I don' think that he'd consider this weenie

Attachment 2520

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I don't use hammocks. they're alright. just not for me.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I don' think that he'd consider this weenie

Attachment 2520
    Does this come in an ultralite model?

The information provided does not go into detail as to what he was carrying. Further the articles states that he had "layered up". I'm not saying he was prepared/unprepared, but from the information folks are drawing conclusions.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Does this come in an ultralite model?
    You don't want it to be ultra-lite, thats just too painful to be fun

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++