WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

“True ghost stories” is an oxymoron

Iron Master's Hostel in Pine Grove State Part is rather spooky. There are many "tales" of run away slaves and the brave folks who tried to win their freedom. Some made it, others....!

Overnight at Hogback shelter 2017 sometime around 2 am I woke up needing to pay the water bill,as I am standing behind the shelter I look up the trail that comes down to the shelter and saw floating white balls of light or orbs floating about 6 feet above the forest floor.Hundreds of them moving at a slow walk pace until they disappeared over a hill.I have read Indians believe them to be dead spirits who died in the wilderness. Anyone else ever see the white orbs?

Scratch the word dead. Not able to edit.

Easy, guys, easy! ) It's just topic with ghost story

You know, no matter how trite it may sound, but this case was mentioned in the book from the childhood I wrote about. So, there was described the case when three guys walked in the woods at a later time and went to the river. On the other shore was a hill. And they noticed that a large number of such balls with lights went up this hill in a spiral. When they saw better they were dumbfounded ... After all, these lights carried dozens of ghosts (well, or maybe some kind of religious fanatics, which may be). It's like "they went to heaven" ... I suppose a terrible picture ...

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Indeed, but the primal allure of superstition/supernatural is strong.

I recently had a weird thing happen to me while over in the Philippines. My best friend and I were staying in Baguio at her cousin's apartment building. They allowed us to have our own apartment for two days, each having their own beds. (After 2 weeks of sleeping in the same bed, we both were in need of a break)

The first night we were there, I had this weird waking/sleeping dream about a lady standing near my bed just watching me. In my dream, I had to pee extremely bad but did not want to get up in order to go pee because she was there. I guess in my dream I was scared she was going to try to grab me. I woke up before the sun rise needing to go pee. After that dream, there was no way in hell I was getting out of the bed to turn on the lights. So I held my pee untill daylight and I could see in the bedroom.

Cue on miday when we were in the car with my BFFs cousin. They asked how we slept. I mentioned the dream and laughed about it. Her cousin's husband and cousin were quiet, and than her cousin piped up to very seriously ask, "What room were you in?"

Legit. I felt the blood drop from my face. Because they were serious. They weren't laughing. They were downright curious and obviously holding something back.

I later found out that the previous person in the apartment had jumped out of the window in the room I was staying in. She had been seen a few times since than in that apartment but mostly coming in and out that room. A lot of people had seen her, including the security guard and doorman. The neighbor had called the security guy up because he thought someone had been tresspassing on the apartment. Nope. Just a woman who walked through walls.

BFF's cousin even described the woman too a T. White woman. Tall. Skinny. Was wearing a really pretty dressing gown.

Lets just say...I slept with the lights on that second night.

Stealth camping near Hurricane Mountain shelter in Southern Virginia a couple years ago.... Woke up in the middle of the night to a 6" projected light on my tent. My first thought was "wow, the moon is bright", then I turned over and saw the moon...it was a crescent. Then I watched the light slowly, steadily move across my tent. It was definitely projected light.

No idea what it was. Never heard a thing. I was in thick rhododendrons and saw no shadows.

Woke up the next morning and told my wife I saw the weirdest thing last night (she was hammocking about 20ft away)...before I could even finish she said "the lights?!" She said she was about to scream for help at one point.

I've seen "foxfire" (really quite pretty), this wasn't foxfire. I've heard possible explanations ranging from light refraction through gasses from decaying plant matter to reflections from the eyes of owls. It was definitely odd. My wife refuses to go anywhere near that place again.

This week on "Finding Bigfoot", space aliens leave flashlights around the woods and fun ensues when the hairy primates discover them and punking concurrently.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    "George Orwell once remarked that the average person today is about as naive as was the average person in the Middle Ages. In the Middle Ages people believed in the authority of their religion, no matter what.*Today, we believe in the authority of our science, no matter what."

—*Neil Postman, Informing Ourselves to Death (1990)

Neil Postman: Informing Ourselves to Death*
    Except anyone who understands the basics regarding science, recognizes the fallacy in that quote. Science is merely a methodology for observing, postulating hypothesis, and testing them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++