WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Chris_Asheville's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for the well wishes from everyone, I really appreciate it. Hopefully we can get a great home for these two hounds! If ANYONE is interested, please let me know.
    Thanks again!

Images

We had a couple of bear hounds follow us most of this past weekend around Standing Indian. In fact, it's rare for me to go into that area in the winter and NOT have bear dogs as company. (These two dogs had collars with their owner's name. I called and left him a message about where they were.) They do make great trail dogs. Very friendly. Great stamina. Grateful for any little scrap of attention or food.

Alas, my husband and I also talked about the fact that they'd make TERRIBLE city dogs.

Good luck with either finding their owners, or finding a new home for them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Dino.....though this is probably the place for this topic.....I can hardly see a hunting dog as a hiking dog....wouldnt it run away all the time? I was thinking of that one of these dogs could be a partner for me...but then I wondered if they would run away all the time and I am left alone again....
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Dino.....though this is probably the place for this topic.....I can hardly see a hunting dog as a hiking dog....wouldnt it run away all the time? I was thinking of that one of these dogs could be a partner for me...but then I wondered if they would run away all the time and I am left alone again....
    The entire essence of a dog is not locked into the category humans put on them. They are as individual as people.

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Dogs are more faithful than human companions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    This invites a number of not-very-nice retorts, but I will refrain....
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

I would love to see what they are like and possible adopt them. I live near Henderson, NC which is about 4 hours from Ashville. Could you email me to give me details. I have been looking for just the right dogs to adopt. Was thinking of some greyhounds. I have lots of place to walk and let them exercise.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body- but to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy cow, what a ride!"

A very profound, yet true statement. Any good dog would lay down her life for you, no questions asked. Especially rescues, they seem to know that they have two strikes against them already.
    Shuffle, I hope it works out for you to adopt them.

Images

If you attacked me, my dog would bark and growl. My wife would try to kill you with her bare hands. My wife has been with me 18 years. The longest dog so far was 14.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree.
    Just hike.

Images

:banana Hound dogs find home

Thanks soo much to everyone for the help and friendly remarks regarding the hound dogs found on Sat. Last night, one of the hunters who owns the dogs came by to pick them up and was very happy to have them back. The dogs seemed equally happy. They had someone remove their collars and went lost. They were in the woods for about 36 hours before I found them. At least they had a few days to gorge themselves before heading back to the farm!

Thanks again,
    Chris

Images

Very glad to hear that the owner and the dogs have been reunited! I hope the owner appreciated your care and concern.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

He really did. They both called me on seperate occasions to thank me. He said he had raised lose pups since they were born and was very attached to them. He is still missing two more, an old male and a young female.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

same thing happened to me last fall while hiking the ozark highlands trail, except we ended up having the dog for 3 months before his owner cared to have him back. this deer dog had a collar, but he was a good 50 miles from his home, so I picked him up. I wasnt about to go 100 miles out of my way to take him back home, so I took the dog home with me. the hound was completely emaciated and infested with ticks. i pulled over 100 ticks off of him and he ate nearly 25 lbs of food in a week. I called 8-10 times a day for weeks and the owner never would answer. i left messages and everything. turns out he was in nebraska for a job assignment for nearly 6 months and left his dogs to fend for themselves while he was away. the owner was a real jerk...wouldnt drive 3.5 hours to come get his dog. i ended up having to take "bouncer" back to him on my next hiking trip out there. i shoulda just kept the dog.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    si shoulda just kept the dog.
    For the dog's sake, it would have been a good idea. That is abandonment/neglect.

Chris_Asheville, did the owner explain why and how they got away??

Glad to hear everything worked out. And while I understand that hunting dogs can be a little on the svelte side I'm wondering why they were so thin after only 36 hours lost. Hoping they are returning to good care.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Glad to hear everything worked out. And while I understand that hunting dogs can be a little on the svelte side I'm wondering why they were so thin after only 36 hours lost. Hoping they are returning to good care.
    I haven't seen these particular hounds, of course, but in general, these dogs have very, very fine coats, so every bump and knob of rib and spine show. Plus they run like demons all day every day. Back when we lived in a rural area, we had a few lost hunting dogs adopt us. Even with free-choice food and regular worming/vet care, you could still see their ribs. A couple of days without food, and the stomach area is pretty much concave.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++