Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 208
  1. #21
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Join Date
    09-24-2006
    Location
    Between Kittery and Fort Kent
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,576
    Images
    3

    Default

    I am personally quite fond of soy products.

    Kirby

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Do you have a cite for this claim, MS? It sounds like BS to me.
    Somone complained that an endocrinologist had insufficient scientific credentials to comment on global warming.

    Similarly, might it be that a geologist should not be looked to as a source of knowledge about plant "estrogen" and its effects on the human body?

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    MS's remarks remind me of Col. Ripper in Dr. Strangelove.

    Ripper: Mandrake?
    Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
    Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
    Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have.
    Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
    Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
    Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
    Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, uhm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
    Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that seventy percent of you is water?
    Mandrake: Uh, uh, Good Lord!
    Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
    Mandrake: Yes. (he begins to chuckle nervously)
    Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
    Mandrake: Yes. (more laughter)
    Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol?
    Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
    Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
    Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
    Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
    Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
    Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

    ....

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-05-2007
    Location
    Gladly Lost
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Humans, especially males, should limit or avoid soy products, of which TVP is one. The estrogen analogues, the nutrient-blocking components -- surely no one here is so broke that they can't be at least a little selective about their diet from a health perspective. (TVP has excessive sodium, too, BTW.)
    Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Do you have a cite for this claim, MS? It sounds like BS to me.
    Betcha a dollar he has at least one.

  5. #25

    Default Tater...

    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Somone complained that an endocrinologist had insufficient scientific credentials to comment on global warming.

    Similarly, might it be that a geologist should not be looked to as a source of knowledge about plant "estrogen" and its effects on the human body?
    How about this information for you (that you probably had no inkling of):

    I was a pre-med for 3 years as an undergraduate, graduating with a biology minor. I have worked for about 5 years in biotech (ran the lab at two fuel ethanol plants, both of which ran on food waste, plus other fermentation and food science work at Cargill and General Mills), publishing two relevant papers in technical journals. Then, there are the two biotech patents I have worked on, and my hundreds of pounds of professional papers and books on the subject I acquired to make a start on a professional library.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    How about this information for you (that you probably had no inkling of):

    I was a pre-med for 3 years as an undergraduate, graduating with a biology minor. I have worked for about 5 years in biotech (ran the lab at two fuel ethanol plants, both of which ran on food waste, plus other fermentation and food science work at Cargill and General Mills), publishing two relevant papers in technical journals. Then, there are the two biotech patents I have worked on, and my hundreds of pounds of professional papers and books on the subject I acquired to make a start on a professional library.
    Listen, dude, I saw all the stuff you were carrying on your thru-hike spread out in that shelter north of Pearisburg. You can't fool me!

  7. #27

    Default ????

    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Listen, dude, I saw all the stuff you were carrying on your thru-hike spread out in that shelter north of Pearisburg. You can't fool me!
    *** does THAT mean?

    BTW, I probably ate more nutritiously on the Trail than 90% of other thruhikers last year. How many carried dried sushi-grade seaweed and freeze-dried spinach and broccoli, and never cooked ONE Ramen their whole hike?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    How many carried dried sushi-grade seaweed and freeze-dried spinach and broccoli,
    No wonder you needed so much toilet paper.

    You eat seaweed and you're concerned about people eating soy products and bitch about the food at Elmers?

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-05-2007
    Location
    Gladly Lost
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    Are you drunk tater?

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    Are you drunk tater?
    No, I rarely drink. I was a little tipsy Saturday night. Why do you ask?

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-05-2007
    Location
    Gladly Lost
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    Your posts in this thread are less coherent and non-confluent than usual, even though I know you're just trying to rib MS.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    Your posts in this thread are less coherent and non-confluent than usual, even though I know you're just trying to rib MS.
    Lock it down.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    How about this information for you (that you probably had no inkling of):

    I was a pre-med for 3 years as an undergraduate, graduating with a biology minor. I have worked for about 5 years in biotech (ran the lab at two fuel ethanol plants, both of which ran on food waste, plus other fermentation and food science work at Cargill and General Mills), publishing two relevant papers in technical journals. Then, there are the two biotech patents I have worked on, and my hundreds of pounds of professional papers and books on the subject I acquired to make a start on a professional library.
    And the winner of the 'Look how great I am and everything I've done' award goes to. . . .

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    How about this information for you (that you probably had no inkling of):

    I was a pre-med for 3 years as an undergraduate, graduating with a biology minor. I have worked for about 5 years in biotech (ran the lab at two fuel ethanol plants, both of which ran on food waste, plus other fermentation and food science work at Cargill and General Mills), publishing two relevant papers in technical journals. Then, there are the two biotech patents I have worked on, and my hundreds of pounds of professional papers and books on the subject I acquired to make a start on a professional library.

    "I am on of the noticeable ones, notice me. . . notice me
    I am one of the noticeable ones, notice me." -
    Missing Persons - Spring Session M

  15. #35

    Default Look, small person...

    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    And the winner of the 'Look how great I am and everything I've done' award goes to. . . .
    I was asked what my credentials were to comment upon food science. I gave the courtesy of responding (more politely than the question was asked, I might add).

    Out of curiosity, what have you accomplished in life, outside the Trail?

  16. #36
    First Sergeant SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,864
    Images
    248

    Default

    OK, so we have MS credentials out of the way. Is there a reference you can point us to on-line to read about this. This is sort of an interesting topic.

    Hopefully something that is peer reviewed. I just did a google and don't trust most of what I read. "Soy Is Making Kids 'Gay'" was one of them.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 10-30-2007 at 07:42.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

    My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

    BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

    NO SNIVELING

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-29-2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    60
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Donate those powdered eggs to a homeless shelter or something. Yuk!
    My dad actually likes those. Two weeks ago he was reminiscing about powdered eggs, asking if maybe we could bring them on the next hike ...

    I have awful memories of powdered eggs in Boy Scouts.

    Jonathan

  18. #38
    GA-ME 2005 AT-HITMAN2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-30-2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    247
    Images
    4

    Default

    i never ate ramen on my hike....
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    MS, still waiting on the cite for the "humans shouldn't eat soy products" notion. Citing your credentials doesn't count.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-11-2004
    Location
    Grafton, NH
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,477

    Default how many is tooo many mail drops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    My dad actually likes those. Two weeks ago he was reminiscing about powdered eggs, asking if maybe we could bring them on the next hike ...

    I have awful memories of powdered eggs in Boy Scouts.

    Jonathan
    In "65" powdered eggs were green...they must have gotten better since then?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •