WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

"Chill out Man" could be changed to have him say "Don't Taz Me Bro"..hehe

They would have surrounded me if we hadn't been on the boardwalk. Because of the boardwalk, I was able to keep them at bay with my poles. After I passed, they apparently let the dogs of the leash again and they attacked two kids I had passed who were out playing by themselves from the houses next to the marshy area because I heard the dogs barking and the guys yelling at them. They hadn't been in much hurry to leash them when I encountered them, I had to ask twice and yell once using foul language.

And yes, Dakota Dan, if I could have tazed the owners, I probably would have. Idiots. Of course, there were big, legible signs at each end of the boardwalk saying that dogs had to be leashed at all times.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 11-02-2007 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Again, a few bad owners spoil the whole bunch...
    From my readings, I would say it's a LOT of "Bad Owners" that spoil it for the few good ones.

I'm curious to know what your feelings are concerning the National Parks and State Parks that do not allow unleashed dogs? I know GSMNP will not allow them even on a leash when hiking the AT. Are their reasons sound ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Dan View Post
    I'm curious to know what your feelings are concerning the National Parks and State Parks that do not allow unleashed dogs? I know GSMNP will not allow them even on a leash when hiking the AT. Are their reasons sound ones?
    IMO, no, but I respect their rules.

The post here at WB concerning dogs, leashed or unleashed, should be read by the other dog owners(and most likely the majority) who travel the AT. When I say "Other" I mean those who probably don't even have a computer(can't read anyway) and most likely haven't figured out what the white marks on the trees are for. As I said earlier, A lot of bad dog owners in lieu of a few good ones. Also, a lot of dogs travel the trail from nearby homes, wonder if they have a computer?

Looks like y'all still want to turn this into a debate on bad dog owners instead of giving practical information on hiking with a dog.

It's time to go to commercial.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++