WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default western mountaineering?

hello fellow a.t. enthusiasts!

just curious if anyone here owns the western mountaineering caribou?

i'd also like to know if anyone uses the wm meltdown jacket or vest?

(i'm considering the purchase -- since i'm a tall lanky sorta guy, any suggestions on sizing? i was thinking a size large... but then again i'm not even sure if down is the way to go!)

maybe i should look at the "wet" factor, and consider a patagonia puff-ball jacket? or d.a.s. jacket maybe? heck, i've even thought about marmot's adamant jacket (being a wool-synthetic blend vs. the basic fleece) -- then again, maybe polartec 200/300 is the way to go?

i'm trying to weigh all the options. i know synthetics are faster-drying... but down tends to be warmer. i think i want the warmth while camping in all those different notches and valleys.

i bought a wm caribou not too long ago. i like it, but i'm questioning whether-or-not i should consider using it on my future a.t. thru. i've used it a few times on 2-3 day backpacking trips to the catskills (early-spring/late summer time), didn't have too many complaints other than it's use in combination with my hammock.

i'm actually considering ditching the hammock and going with a simple 8x10 silnylon tarp, ridgerest, tyvek groundcloth, wm-caribou, silk-liner, silnylon sleeping bag cover... i don't like the way wind tends to cool my underside while sleeping...

any thoughts on this subject? i know alot of you whiteblazers are avid hammock users, but how about those of you that have used both setups? ground-based sleeping arrangements -- vs -- suspended sleeping arrangements? pros? cons?

all-in-all: i _don't_ like the way my crazy creek hammock tends to compress the down i'm laying on. i tend to be a very cold sleeper. maybe i should simply carry a larger matress? maybe an inflatable one like the one exped makes? it has like goose-down inside it or whatever...

on a similar note: when using my hammock setup, i did use my 3/4 length thermarest ultralite pad. it kept slipping out from under me, and overall it didn't seem to provide much insulative properties to the setup.

maybe i'm going about this all wrong. but being as skinny as i am, i'd like to get myself situated with some serious insulating layers.

thanks for reading my babble.

-- pixpusher (future thruhiker)
    -- pp

Images

I've never tried the Carabou. That's a 35* bag right? When are you planning to do your thru hike? That will determine if that bag has enough insulation.

I don't have the meltdown jacket but I own its cousin, the Flight Jacket. I'm 6', thin, my shirts are 16/34, and the large Flight Jacket fits me fine.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

I can't speak for the specific WM you mentioned, but the company in general was very pleasant to deal with. We used the Highlight (40 degree) as our summer bag and started with the Ultralight (25 degree), and the shipped our summer bags to us for FREE in Pearisburg. The bags were light, packed down SUPER small, were easy to wash and care for, and held up very well, we still use them. They were warm enough for em and I'm a very cold slepper, I just added a cocoon silk bag liner when it was REALLY cold. They come in sizes from 6 feet to 6'6. They also do reversible zippers by request if you want to be able to zip your bag to someone elses. Quality company and product, in my opinion.

For jackets, we used the Moonstone Cirrus (like the Patagonia puffball only lighter) and we only ever used them in camp, I never hiked with mine becuase it was TOO warm.

Good luck!
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

I've spent more than a few nights in the Highlight and Ultralight and like them both. The highlight really is a 40 degree bag. I wouldn't bring it on a March start. The ultralight weighs about 6 oz more and is more lik a 20 degree bag. Maybe more. Very nice. I'm 6'4" with broad shoulders and the narrow cut is just perfect for me.

++ New Posts ++