WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Low Gap Shelter

Campsites on the way to shelter were trashed two weeks ago. I got disgusted and just turned back to find a clean spot further on for lunch.

Spent the loneliest and scariest night of my life as the lone resident there Friday night.
    1. BEARS. Lots of them. Saw 1 and heard many at night. Shuttle driver reports they come right up to the shelter due to their being a den nearby. HANG YOUR FOOD!
    2. Plenty of mice.
    3. VERY LITTLE water south of here. Relied on bottled/bought water at Neels Gap or Hogpen Gap. (Time of year was July).

Rebel

Journal Entries
    Images

When I was there a few months ago in April there were mice in the shelter and mice got into the food on the cables. There were rumors of a rattlesnake living under the shelter. I didn't see or hear of any bears. Water source was good and plenty of tent sites.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha72 View Post
    Spent the loneliest and scariest night of my life as the lone resident there Friday night.
    1. BEARS. Lots of them. Saw 1 and heard many at night. Shuttle driver reports they come right up to the shelter due to their being a den nearby. HANG YOUR FOOD!
    2. Plenty of mice.
    3. VERY LITTLE water south of here. Relied on bottled/bought water at Neels Gap or Hogpen Gap. (Time of year was July).

Rebel
    We opted to lunch there about 2 weeks ago, water was good but as you mentioned, no water south unless you went to Whitley Gap Shelter. Shelter was clean but the uphill privy was a no thank you. Tent sites were clean. We ended up there due to stayed at Neel too long and then getting caught in a bad thunderstorm on our way up from Tesnatee. We were NOBO. Ran into a male bear and ~10 wild hogs coming up from Cold Springs Gap, then ran across a sow with cubs around Red Clay Gap.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++