WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Tray Mountain Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Tray Mountain Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default nice place,

Nice piped water in back. Plenty of places for tents. Nice spot to walk out a bit and watch the sunset. -- However, during my April 01 hike when I got there, belly full from Boy Scout Feed the Hiker Day it was infested with gnats. I was given a different name but can't pronounce it. Supposedly GA's rendition of the BLACK FLY!!! I had hoped for a little afternoon siesta but was almost driven insane with the buzzy and biting. Left my sticker in the journal and RAN away. -- I stayed there during Nov with my family and it was very pleasant. Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

The water source is much closer than the 800 yards that the Companion lists. Maybe 200.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

What I rememebr about Tray mountain was an incredible sunset, and an amazing amount of wind that funnels directly into the shelter, 4 of us hung our tents over the shelter opening to keep the wind at bay most of the night....
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Q: How many thru-hikers can you put into a shelter?
    A: How many you got?

I spent Saturday night at the Tray Mountain Shelter with 11 others (all thru-hikers) packed in like sardines. Amazingly, there was very little mouse activity. (I imagine all the bodily noises created by the mass a people scared the rodents away.) BTW, Sunday morning dawned with a stunning sunrise. Very good water source too.

We stayed in our tent. This shelter was dirty compared to other shelters in GA. Mice poop everywhere.

tideblazer
    Images

Default Stomping grounds

It gets very cold on a cold night. It's wet on a humid night. There's wild boars that make it a regular stop. There'a a constant amount of trash in the firepit. Great sunrises. It's my favorite area on the trail.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    It gets very cold on a cold night. It's wet on a humid night. There's wild boars that make it a regular stop. There'a a constant amount of trash in the firepit. Great sunrises. It's my favorite area on the trail.

Stayed there on a very cold Nov. night. The wind came up over that mountain and straight into the shelter. Gorgeous views in that area.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg
    Stayed there on a very cold Nov. night. The wind came up over that mountain and straight into the shelter. Gorgeous views in that area.
    ALSO..... great views of the lights of towns in north Georgia at night.

This shelter isn't far from one of the forest service roads, so it's easy for locals and city folk to frequent the shelter and area.

tideblazer
    Images

Default locals

This shelter isn't far from one of the forest service roads, so it's easy for locals and city folk to frequent the shelter and area.[/QUOTE]
    Have you seen the locals in that area? From my experience, it seems most of them never leave that road. I think the uphill to the peak keeps most locals away from the shelter area. But I guess I'm a semi-local (60 miles), and I go up there all the time. I always see this guy in his jeep with the same woman. Then again, he always sees some crazy hippie-looking redhead dude. Locals are alright... it's the boars we should be wary of.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Nice shelter. It can get very dirty at times. Mice have been quests every time I have been there. Awesome views if you camp near rocky area. Saw 2 bears on the way up. Wow! No boars though.

I was there in late October last year southbound to Springer ,there was heavy rain all afternoon and it got dark earlier than I thought and I was wary of missing the shelter sign and having to tent in the rain.Very relieved to see the Shelter and got even wetter going for the water .The rain was so hard it was reaching half way into the shelter so had to sleep parallel to the opening which I am not keen on as you cannot see out as much and the register mentioned bears-I was alone -I thought surely its too wet even for the bears.The Georgia lights looked great ,next morning was dry and there are super views.

Default bad times

I had my worst night on the AT at this shelter...just picture me and 2 other girls with a bunch of redneck, pot-smoking, drinking, snoring 40 year old men. Mix in that with a 50 or so boyscouts and that equals a bad, bad time. My advice is to avoid on weekends.

Four or five "local" people were there, along with their dogs. They had put plastic sheets over the front of the shelter to keep the wind from blowing in so hard. I believe they might have welcomed me, but I elected to hike on.

Images

So what is up with these boars? I was wondering what threat they present, if any? Will they take a run at someone? I haven't read that much here at Whiteblaze except that they are destructive.

happypappy

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally
    So what is up with these boars? I was wondering what threat they present, if any? Will they take a run at someone? I haven't read that much here at Whiteblaze except that they are destructive.

Wild boars can be VERY dangerous at times, and yes, they have been known to charge at people. They grow tusks (large canines) that rub on each other and stay quite sharp. Fortunately, here in Pa. they are found only on large fenced in hunting preserves.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

My favorite story regarding Tray Mountain shelter is from my wife's (BadAss Turtle) 2001 AT hike. I was hiking along with her from Springer to Franklin that year. We got into the Tray Mtn Shelter area about 4 in the afternoon and joined about a dozen or so other thru hikers ...among whom was a hiker named Texas Jack. After pitching our tents and having a little dinner I headed off for water and stumbled into a rather sizable pile of bear dung. I asked around if anyone had heard of or seen any bears in the area and Texas Jack came over to personally inspect the dung heap. After carefully studying the pile of waste, he proclaimed that the bear who had left that deposit was a 300 pounder. I stood there in amazement ...totally shocked that anyone could pinpoint the size/weight of a bear based on the excrement.

No realy point to this story ...but it gave everyone at Tray Mtn Shelter that night good cause for laughter and I have never forgotten it.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

A few thoughts on this shelter:

1/ i have fond memories here because i met 2 great friends who i hiked many miles with one night when i got in after dark after some folks at Blue Mt Shelter ( i think that's the name of the next one south) told me i'd never make it to Tray that night. (i love a challenge like that)
    2/ the weather is more bad than good. Of the 5 or 6 times i've hiked that part of the AT, i've had more bad weather experiences than good. but that doesn't mean they were bad experiences (see #1)
    3/ Slept in my homeade tent (the wedge ) in front of the shelter in '95 and had a horrendous storm that night. (i got wet and had to make a few changes in the design the next day)
    4/ Played the "Dead's" version of "Dark Hollow" there for a bunch of locals one time and one of them later told me it was his favorite song.
    5/ It's all downhill in the mornin!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    A few thoughts on this shelter:

5/ It's all downhill in the mornin!
    ...Kelly Knob

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++