WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I Failed 2007

Angry I Failed 2007

I have not posted since the spring of 2007. I dreamed of thru hiking the trail in 2007 when I retired. I just turned 55 yesterday and I feel like I failed in life, I quit after 5 days, at Neels Gap. I have a wife who loves me after 36 yrs and two grandkids who love me and a carier that people respected me for. So why do I need to proof (speling is very bad so deal with it)to me that I need to walk to Maine. The dream is still there but I dought who I am. I need to walk in the wood to find my self. If I can't come here. where do i go for those who have been there? My life has been great and I have been happy with who I am. So why do I feel like I have failed me?

it's just a trail. you failed nothing. you went for a walk in the woods and went home a little early.

Sounds to me like you've had a great life. A healthy and happy family is much more important than finishing a hiking trail, and if you've got the former, then don't worry over-much about the latter. That being said, you have plenty of time to give it another go, and when you decide to do so, let us know. This is a great place to ask questions, to discover new things, and to improve your knowledge of what the Trail is really like.

But failure? Nope.

The only failures are the ones who never even dare to try.

Images

Yes the scoreboard didn't change on you. We are all section hikers.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe the time isn't right yet for that dream. Or it may just be different from other hikers. Maybe you're the one who will do the AT a section at a time. You just began the trail this year is all. The inaugural hike, so to speak. You can go on from there. That isn't a failure but a beginning. I admire greatly section hikers and their tenacity to get out there and go, short or long, a piece at a time. If you ask me, that's much harder than a thru. I have met people that have been sectioning for 15 years. One chunk at a time. It's great. But it's the journey, after all. Your journey. Long or short, one mile or twenty. No one else's.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I know how it feels, lacbe. Really! For me, "finishing" took 17 years. The trail will be there when you're ready for it. I found it to be more manageable and enjoyable in short(er) sections.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lacbe View Post
    I have not posted since the spring of 2007. I dreamed of thru hiking the trail in 2007 when I retired. I just turned 55 yesterday and I feel like I failed in life, I quit after 5 days, at Neels Gap. I have a wife who loves me after 36 yrs and two grandkids who love me and a carier that people respected me for. So why do I need to proof (speling is very bad so deal with it)to me that I need to walk to Maine. The dream is still there but I dought who I am. I need to walk in the wood to find my self. If I can't come here. where do i go for those who have been there? My life has been great and I have been happy with who I am. So why do I feel like I have failed me?
    ==============================

Count your blessings ...of which it sounds you have many.

The trail will always be there. You did more in 5 days than many people I know will ever do or attempt to do in their entire lives.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Maybe what you're after is a journey that lasts a lifetime, rather than a journey of a lifetime. Each is good in its own way.

There may be better ways for you to experience the A.T. Explore them. It called you once. It may call you back again.

Images

I think this gets into expectation management buddy. You had a dream that may not be exactly what you expected. In the Army we have a saying: "Fight the enemy, not the plan". This basically means you make a plan before you make contact with something then after that you will probably have to totally change the plan because nothing is ever exacly like we plan it to be.

You made a plan based on what you thought you could do or wanted to do. It turns out when you hit the trail you were smart enough to change the plan when required. Do an AAR (After Action Review) and decide what the new plan should be based on what you learned - don't go back and try the same plan over again and don't feel like a failure if it didn't work the way you had it planned.

You plan could be to try again later in a different way, it could be to become a trail bum and hike the sections you want to hike when you have the time, it could be you want to become a trail angle or maintainer and help others live their dreams and be happy with that - or a combination of all the above.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A loving family, a career that you are proud of and some memories that are great. You failed nothing my friend.

Thru-hiking is not 'the end all and be all" of enjoying the outdoors.
    Go for some day hikes or weekend backpacks. Maybe trail work will be just as satisfying for you.

Nature is a wonderful thing. And there are many wonderful, satisfying and different ways of enjoying it.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thank you for your concerns. But I need to still find who I am. Right now, I still need to find out who I am. You have all finished the trail. I envey that. You know what you are, and why you finished your hikes. Me, I still need to see what the future holds for me. Thank you. For listening to someone who still has (THE DREAM) of finding ones self on the trail.

DON'T GIVE UP!! It was only your first try. This percieved failure may help bolster your resolve for your next attempt.P.S why did you quit? Was it physical? Or when you got out there, did you feel that it wasn't what you thought it was going to be? Did you get lonesome? Figuring this out will help you tweak your game next time.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Every time I go out to section hike the AT I drive hundreds of miles and then walk, er trudge and cuss, up and down mountains only to find that what I really seek is in my own living room.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Images

Lacbe, wondered where you'd been hiding. back!

I had two surgeries Jan 17, and tried to hike 8 weeks latterer( MY SPELING IS REAL BAD, SORRY). I was sure I could do it. Not to smart for an old man. But what is, is what is. I will try again, but with MORE DETERMINATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacbe View Post
    But I need to still find who I am. Right now, I still need to find out who I am. You have all finished the trail. I envey that. You know what you are, and why you finished your hikes. Me, I still need to see what the future holds for me. Thank you. For listening to someone who still has (THE DREAM) of finding ones self on the trail.
    thru-hikers rarely "find" themselves on the trail. they usually find they're tired, hungry, sore and thirsty. some find themselves back out the following year doing another hike. the AT ain't a magic cure, just a walking trail. fantasy and reality are two different things

Images

I've never finished the trail. I haven't even half started. I've never been to Springer(me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    I've never finished the trail. I haven't even half started. I've never been to Springer(me
    I hit some button by accident. As I was saying my brother and I started for Springer one time and got lost (another story). I hope you find out who you are, but, don't go measuring by this yardstick. I'd love to do Springer to Neel's Gap someday. I can't answer your question. You have to answer it for yourself. Keep hiking.

Default It happens

I'm 29. I lift weights hard, ride my bike a couple of hundred miles a week and backpack as often as I can, and despite that I had to quit last year also. I limped into Erwin with tendonitis that I never would have forseen and had to decide to just get over it.

Forget about it. Section hike or try again. I don't have the money or time to try throughing again anytime soon, so I've had to modify my plans toward sectioning over the next few years.

I'm not exactly over it, but it's not worth letting it eat a nagging pit in your stomach either.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    thru-hikers rarely "find" themselves on the trail. they usually find they're tired, hungry, sore and thirsty. some find themselves back out the following year doing another hike. the AT ain't a magic cure, just a walking trail. fantasy and reality are two different things
    Thank You, but you have been there. To me that is still a dream, I have had since I was was a kid, I want to know, what is like to be on top of that MT in Maine! To feel the air on on your face. to feel like you truely did something for you. Maybe that is selfish, but is'nt that what a thru hike is?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++