WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dog breeds

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    And here are two more reasons for ALL dogs to be on a leash at all times.

#1 - This weekend, one of my huskies and I ran across a timber rattler stretched across the footpath. I was able to pull her up short before there was a tragedy, but my heart was in my throat for a few seconds.

#2 - Same trip, Sunday morning, as we were walking toward a road crossing, here come a husband and wife with, not one but two loose dogs, which immediately ignored the husband's commands to "come", and charged, not me, but my dog (still on leash). ("Don't worry, they don't bite!") For some reason, the husband didn't like the idea of me using my staff as a barrier between my dog and his (bopping his dog several times on the sides of his snout may have had something to do with that ).

Please keep 'em leashed.
    Love that "don't worry they don't bite" I reply with start worrying because mine do bite.

my faithfull friend companion is my 6 yr old female rottie she is without a doubt the best breed I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Loyal and strong completely dedicated to .

Thumbs up On a leash!

I agree, Shelterbuilder. I cannot understand people who let their dogs off leash in an unfamiliar area, or areas where they may encounter wildlife, strangers, etc. For me, the leash isn't about protecting other people, it is about protecting my dog! My beautiful hound mix Pepper is a sweetheart, but at the park not all dogs are. I wouldn't want her encountering strangers on the trail without being leashed, as much for her safety as for courtesy to others (which is also important). We found Pepper in the woods and she loves the outdoors. She came to me on a camping trip in January, and the ranger said she was probably left behind by hunters due to the fact that she is extremely gun-shy. She was starving and had demodectic mange with a secondary infection, but now is very healthy. While you can not eliminate risk when you take your dog to the woods (or anywhere else for that matter), proper training and a leash can minimize it.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Love that "don't worry they don't bite" .
    Me, too. That's my first clue I have a problem dog owner to deal with. The good owners immediately leash their dogs as soon as they see a hiker or keep them leashed all the time. Ironic isn't it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Me, too. That's my first clue I have a problem dog owner to deal with. The good owners immediately leash their dogs as soon as they see a hiker or keep them leashed all the time. Ironic isn't it.
    Yeah, and for the time being at least, I can't respond verbally to the other dog or the other owner, which puts me - and my dog - at a bit of a disadvantage. (My dogs are getting to the point where they are working reasonably well with my non-verbal commands - until they get distracted by, say, another dog!)

houthuse, it sounds like you made a good save! Best of luck with Pepper.

I don't care what kind of dog it is. If it's not under control at all times don't bring it.
    I've seen plenty of dogs on the trail. Most are allowed to run loose. Saw one lift his leg next to a water source.
    Your dog might interfere with other peoples trail experience.
    I like dogs but believe the trail was designed for people.

Nearly Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by pete56 View Post
    I don't care what kind of dog it is. If it's not under control at all times don't bring it.
    I've seen plenty of dogs on the trail. Most are allowed to run loose. Saw one lift his leg next to a water source.
    Your dog might interfere with other peoples trail experience.
    I like dogs but believe the trail was designed for people.

Nearly Normal.
    pete hits the nail on the head.

In an effort to get this thread back on track let me introduce you to Cooper. Cooper is my third dog and, although not the brightest bulb in the box, he is quite obedient and very loyal. He is definitely my favorite hiking dog. He is a 3.5 year old Golden Retriever / German Shephard mix. Image taken 1.5 years ago atop Blood Mtn.

Last edited by FatMan; 10-17-2007 at 22:35.

Images

1) Boston Terriers are great and mine is smart, friendly, does tricks after dinner and everyone on the trail seems to fall in love with him. On the other hand they can overr heat and have no fur to keep them warm lol.

2)he is smallish 18lbs, I can carry him and do often just to give him a break.

3)he does not eat a whole lot so food is not such an issue.

4)best of all so many people love this dog he already has baby sitters and drivers for our thru hike once we get to the Smokies ect or even if he just doesn't do as well (after a month, he has only been up to nine days out) he can bail out at any point almost.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Welsh Springer

My Welsh Springer loves to hike the trail. Early on, I used to let him run free, but his hunting instinct would take over and he'd chase anything that moved... including bear. He obeys commands well except for this situation. For the past two years I've kept him on a long leash for his safety and my peace of mind while hiking. Because of this he hasn't accompanied me on anything but day hikes. Hunting dogs are great, but unless they will obey commands in the face of prey they can be a problem.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by houthuse View Post
    I cannot understand people who let their dogs off leash in an unfamiliar area, or areas where they may encounter wildlife, strangers, etc. For me, the leash isn't about protecting other people, it is about protecting my dog! (snip) While you can not eliminate risk when you take your dog to the woods (or anywhere else for that matter), proper training and a leash can minimize it.
    Precisely because it's unfamiliar!! A leash is a lot like a seat-belt in a car: it might seem like the perfect solution, to be used always, but once in a while it can actually be the source of problems. Accidents do happen where NOT wearing a seatbelt can save your life, but WEARING one ensures a fatality. Same thing with leashes: note that leashes are NEVER a 100% guarantee that nothing will happen to your dog. Wisdom is knowing when to use them and when not to.

I don't leash my dog (except near roads) for the simple reason of "evasive maneuvers". If the trail terrain is non-dog-friendly; if other dogs are aggressive; if other animals are aggressive; if ... In the case of dog-meet-dog, it's always best if they are both leashed OR both UNleashed. My dog tends to be non-confrontational; that is, she's never the one to run up to another dog, and tends to distance herself from other dogs during the initial meeting. That means I have time to put her on leash if the other dog is leashed, though I usually don't have to (she stays out of the leashed dog's range).

Being off-leash also means that, in rough terrain, my dog is never going to be a danger to me. She can't pull me off-balance when I need my best footing. If she has trouble with a spot, she has the freedom to choose another route, without having to worry about whether the leash will reach, and without me having to worry whether the leash will get tangled in the underbrush.

That said, she is very well-behaved and trained as a hiking dog. She's trained to hike behind me, so I get to worry about snakes biting me, not her. She knows the difference between hiking with her pack and without -- she's much less likely to run around off-trail with her pack on. I do have to keep an eye on water sources, and direct her to an area downstream from the head of the source.

But keeping her on-leash everywhere is a lot of work, and frankly, she's not the kind of dog that requires it. So her leash is only for when it's necessary, and I'm inclined to use it sparingly.

It boils down to this: Know your dog. Know the potential problems (both with and without a leash). If your dog IS off-leash, keep a leash nearby. If your dog NEEDS a leash, use one. But please stop with the "all dogs must be on a leash at all times" generalities. They really aren't useful.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Love that "don't worry they don't bite" I reply with start worrying because mine do bite.
    Heeeheeee! I'll have to remember that one...
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

thinking of bringing mine hes really nice despite the way he looks

Quote Originally Posted by blackedoutcoupe View Post
    thinking of bringing mine hes really nice despite the way he looks
    I hope you're kidding. Even if you perceive him to be a nice dog, you'll certainly make every hiker you come near extremely uncomfortable. Is that the energy you want to bring to the trail? I'm hoping not.

Images

if your hiking alone why not ...hes no diff, then any other dog ,,,just what u read about the bad ones anyways my wife wouldnt let me lol

Quote Originally Posted by blackedoutcoupe View Post
    if your hiking alone why not ...hes no diff, then any other dog ,,,just what u read about the bad ones anyways my wife wouldnt let me lol
    Thank goodness for your wife. But the hike isn't just about you or your dog. It's about all the people on the trail that you will meet. You'll have a hard time finding a trail the likes of the AT where you are the only hiker. IT's not that your dog may transcend the stereotype for it's breed. It's being aware of the sensibilities of others. If you hiked with a 45 tucked in your hip belt it doesn't mean you will use it, but you'd be putting other hikers who come to the trail for their own reasons in a very uncomfortable place.
    It's not about the dog. It's about logic and understanding of the dogs effect others. Good trail energy.

Images

i understand i wouldnt do that to anyone i barely take him to petsmart ....i was up at damascus sat. at i guess a trail head snapped a few pics i no sooner got back to my car and 2 people was hiking out with big packs so it must be busy huh....

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I hope you're kidding. Even if you perceive him to be a nice dog, you'll certainly make every hiker you come near extremely uncomfortable. Is that the energy you want to bring to the trail? I'm hoping not.
    Not every hiker. Some of us actually know that most PBs are cool dogs
    Just hike.

Images

do people hike with small guns,,

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    But the hike isn't just about you or your dog. It's about all the people on the trail that you will meet.
    Huh? I'm not quite sure that I got that one...
    Just hike.

Images

i just read 1 that hikes with a rottie hmmmm she didnt get flamed

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++