WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Let’s focus back on that particular mountain lion. Why was it small? Why was it apparently inexperienced?

And let’s celebrate that very brave runner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Let’s focus back on that particular mountain lion. Why was it small? Why was it apparently inexperienced? .....
    I did a little research and cougars stay with their mothers for 1-2 years. This one was 4-5 months old and apparently alone. Possibly its mother had died or been killed and if that is the case it probably had not learned from its mother how to kill prey efficiently. Also at 4-5 months it would not have had all of its permanent teeth. I found this site which shows the difference between the teeth of a young cougar (7 months old) and an adult if you scroll down the page a little ways. Explains why the runner still has a hand even though the cougar bit his hand and held on.
    https://www.mountainlion.org/feature...estidguide.asp
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Great research, sir! Thanks.

I occasionally solo day-hike in an area that supposedly has cougars in wintertime that have come down from farther north in Ontario along the network of winter snowmobile trails. There are three large deer yards in the area, as well as a fairly isolated area of crevasses and cliffs that are ideal for cougars. While I’ve not seen cougar evidence (tracks, scat, hair, kill remains) myself, other reputable folks I know claim to have. I normally don’t hike there solo in winter. So I’m interested those animals from more than just the viewpoint of a naturalist. Last September I did find what I believe to be cougar scat only a couple of hundred kilometres north, well within a couple of days travel for a cougar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
++ New Posts ++