WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Post 320 confirms post 319.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I don't believe that it was a jogger or trail runner. No man with balls that big could possibly break into a run.

Seriously though, that guy is a hoss. AND he drove himself to the hospital.
    It is what it is.

Another article said it was less than a year old. I wonder how much it weighed. Regardless of the weight, I wouldnt want to tangle with one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    There doesn't necessarily have to be a breeding population. It could just be wandering males. That would explain absence of abundant physical evidence.
    The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency website devotes a page to cougars. There were several confirmed trail camera photos in 2015. DNA analysis of fur submitted by a hunter Sept. 2015 is consistent with female cougar DNA from South Dakota .

My wife's brother-in-law told me he saw a cougar and two large cubs at night on a dirt road in Cumberland County Tn. He was on a motorcycle at the time .

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Another article said it was less than a year old. I wonder how much it weighed. Regardless of the weight, I wouldnt want to tangle with one.
    I read that the juvenile cougar weighed in at 80 pounds.Adult males can reach up to 180 pounds and some have topped 200 in rare cases.Averages for females are about 110 pounds and for males 130 pounds is about average.
    I concur with whoever said Dos Equis should make that jogger the newest"world's most interesting man."

The report I saw indicated the jogger had bite wounds on the face and arm which leads me to wonder if he then strangled the cougar with one hand?Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency website devotes a page to cougars. There were several confirmed trail camera photos in 2015. DNA analysis of fur submitted by a hunter Sept. 2015 is consistent with female cougar DNA from South Dakota .

My wife's brother-in-law told me he saw a cougar and two large cubs at night on a dirt road in Cumberland County Tn. He was on a motorcycle at the time .
    Yikes. Good reason not to hike alone.

Images

Saw this the other day, it was ok.

black-panther-11.jpg
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I saw this gentleman on CBS Evening News last night.He was fierce and also lucky! I have always wondered why bikers and joggers in cougar country don't any sort of defensive equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Yikes. Good reason not to hike alone.
    Respectfully, not to my way of thinking.

The odds of being killed by a cougar are near zero. The odds of dying from some disease related to lack of physical activity, like hiking, are maybe 1 in 3.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I read that the juvenile cougar weighed in at 80 pounds.Adult males can reach up to 180 pounds and some have topped 200 in rare cases.Averages for females are about 110 pounds and for males 130 pounds is about average.
    I concur with whoever said Dos Equis should make that jogger the newest"world's most interesting man."

The report I saw indicated the jogger had bite wounds on the face and arm which leads me to wonder if he then strangled the cougar with one hand?Amazing!
    By now you doubtlessly have learned that there were lacerations in numerous places but thankfully none that were life ruining. One point that I got from his how-in-the-world- did-he-do-it answer was that he maintained sufficient strength and know-how to be able to think where his next move must be and then try it and then, if that did not work, he went to the next potential aide. Most fascinating to me was his use of the word "wrestling" when they rolled into the culvert. Maybe he only had a few sessions of wrestling in a high school PE class or was on a college team, but he knew his moves. When I first heard that he had suffocated the cat, I thought he must have held its mouth shut and squeezed its nostrils shut.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I still don't know how he was able to hold the cat down and stand on its windpipe until it died without the cat clawing it's way free.Amazing feat any way you look at it.Maybe the blows to the head with the rock did some good after all?

Images

I still don't know how he was able to hold the cat down and stand on its windpipe until it died without the cat clawing it's way free.Amazing feat any way you look at it.Maybe the blows to the head with the rock did some good after all?
    the thing i was wondering reading the account was what sort of animal doesnt have sense of self preservation enough to let go if it can't breath

You might be right about the rock or something might have been wrong with the cougar to begin with. Apparently when the authorities when back to examine the cougar's body it had been scavenged by other critters and they didn't get to examine its remains in detail. Just thinking about the mechanics of how the guy could have held the cat down and suffocated it with his foot and the cougar not gotten free is mystifying to me much less the guy not being torn to shreds by the cougars claws during the process.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Is there a connection between what must surely be a small-for-this-time-of-the-year young cougar, possibly starving, and the report that 30% of the cougars killed by hunting in that state are females? Could this young cougar have been bereft of maternal support and guidance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Is there a connection between what must surely be a small-for-this-time-of-the-year young cougar, possibly starving, and the report that 30% of the cougars killed by hunting in that state are females? Could this young cougar have been bereft of maternal support and guidance?

While the cat was young and small by cougar standards it still was reported to weigh 80 pounds.Big enough for braggin' rights at the local bar or around the campfire someday with the grand kids...............

While the cat was young and small by cougar standards it still was reported to weigh 80 pounds.Big enough for braggin' rights at the local bar or around the campfire someday with the grand kids...............

From the trek.co: (Zach Davis)
    “Necropsy findings from Colorado Parks and Wildlife are consistent with Kauffman’s descriptions of the events. The mountain lion was estimated to be approximately 4-5 months old, and the weight at necropsy was 24 pounds, although estimated weight prior to scavenging was likely 35-40 pounds. The mountain lion was likely male, and necropsy findings included “blunt trauma to the head and petechial hemorrhages in the region of the larynx and trachea.”

Yes, very much a brag-worthy experience!

And very much a small possibly starving animal. That’s what interests me. Why was it willing to attack a larger human? And why did it not seem to have immediately attacked, instead initially hesitating as the very quick-thinking fellow describes? Inexperience? Why?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    From the trek.co: (Zach Davis)
    “Necropsy findings from Colorado Parks and Wildlife are consistent with Kauffman’s descriptions of the events. The mountain lion was estimated to be approximately 4-5 months old, and the weight at necropsy was 24 pounds, although estimated weight prior to scavenging was likely 35-40 pounds. The mountain lion was likely male, and necropsy findings included “blunt trauma to the head and petechial hemorrhages in the region of the larynx and trachea.”

Yes, very much a brag-worthy experience!

And very much a small possibly starving animal. That’s what interests me. Why was it willing to attack a larger human? And why did it not seem to have immediately attacked, instead initially hesitating as the very quick-thinking fellow describes? Inexperience? Why?

Bobcats of that size will routinely to take down adult deer. A lone human isn’t quite as high up the food chain as most of us would like to believe.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

[QUOTE= A lone human isn’t quite as high up the food chain as most of us would like to believe.[/QUOTE] Absolutely, ask any tick or mosquito.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
++ New Posts ++