WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water intake

Images

I always ran water out of my bite valve and Chief will lap it up, he will not drink anything except while eating also unless I stop and he gets some from mine. i also added water to his food get get extra in him. Boston Terriers are not great out door dogs so I have to keep a close eye on him for sure!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    My dog has some drinking issues too. She'll drink at stream crossings when we're hiking, but it's pretty rare for her to drink from her bowl during a snack break. I do try to pause at stream crossings and give her the chance to drink, but I worry about some terrains where streams are rare.

Thanks for the training tips, Frieden, I'll have to work with Katy on that for our next outing.
    While at the Vet a dog was crapping everywhere and it was BAD, I heard the vet say the dog had gotten Giardia(sp) and I never let Chief drink unless I give it to him. I even asked her and she confirmed that DOGS GET IT ALSO!

Just some info I found, I also learned the hard way to wash the dog bowls real well EVERYDAY!

Images

Here's another trick - teach your dog to drink out of YOUR CUPPED HAND! I did this with my first Husky. I'd pour a little water out of my bottle into my hand, he'd lap it up, then I'd pour a little more, etc. I found that I wasted less water that way, and it was quicker than digging his water dish out of his pack.

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

I finally got Ed to drink out of the CamelBak hose yesterday. Yeah! We hiked in the mountains all day. He was so hot and tired, he didn't care that I didn't have his bowl. Unfortunately, he got into some standing water holes (where the creek had mostly dried up). I didn't pull him out, because he was so over-heated, I thought he might drop. He is sick today, so it will probably cost me a vet visit.

Images

yeah gotta watch that. Sorry man.
    I said he Chief drank out of the bite valve I left out the cupping my hand part but that is how I do it and he is fine and learned the word water, he still twist his head side ways when I say "want some water" Just take care of ED and he will be fine, Chief Crapped in my sleeping bag and Threw up in ten degree weather at 5 am once ten miles from anywhere good to even help good thing I love my dog! I washed the sleeping bag a lot and it did get the smell out after months of working on it argg. For some reason this is one of those things that gets me laughing, I know what it's like inside a dirty diaper and you know the zipper got stuck...plus you can't wash a dog in 10 degree weather...it was a yucky ten miles for sure. My good friend Latenight can vouch for the smell

So why didn't you have his bowl if you knew you were gonna be out hiking all day on a hot day?

I'm sorry your dog is ill, but this doesn't seem like it had to happen.

Images

why did my last hiking partner not think to bring a spoon? Things happen.
    I wish I had washed Chiefs bowl last time but I never did.
    I don't bring a bowl for Chief anymore, he eats dry food out of a ziplock and never minded at all, plus he drinks out of my hand or the cup from my jet boil.

Images

By the way I roll the ziplock down and it seems like a travel bowl just for chief

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Here's another trick - teach your dog to drink out of YOUR CUPPED HAND! I did this with my first Husky. I'd pour a little water out of my bottle into my hand, he'd lap it up, then I'd pour a little more, etc. I found that I wasted less water that way, and it was quicker than digging his water dish out of his pack.
    Your dog doesn't need to be drinking out of your filthy hand. Really. Do you want him to get sick??????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Your dog doesn't need to be drinking out of your filthy hand. Really. Do you want him to get sick??????
    I'm not even going there, except to say that my dogs are always licking my hands anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by frieden View Post
    I finally got Ed to drink out of the CamelBak hose yesterday. Yeah! We hiked in the mountains all day. He was so hot and tired, he didn't care that I didn't have his bowl. Unfortunately, he got into some standing water holes (where the creek had mostly dried up). I didn't pull him out, because he was so over-heated, I thought he might drop. He is sick today, so it will probably cost me a vet visit.
    You guys, please, dogs get dehydrated and/or overheated very easily. Gee whiz. I talked to a vet last year in a trail town who said he gets dozens and dozens of dehydrated hiking dogs, sometimes several a day.

I know you guys love your dogs but to a third party it seems neglectful. Think of it like this: if it were a child and it were reported there would be problems.

Images

I use hand sanitizer before and after so I wont get sick either and yes I wash it off before he drinks. This is what I do on the go not wanting to stop long and If I am nasty I use the jet boil cup, it has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    I'm not even going there, except to say that my dogs are always licking my hands anyway....
    Well, I hope that's not the way you wash them after you use the bathroom. You can make your dog sick.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdaddy View Post
    I use hand sanitizer before and after so I wont get sick either and yes I wash it off before he drinks. This is what I do on the go not wanting to stop long and If I am nasty I use the jet boil cup, it has happened.
    Okay, good, that makes me feel better.

Wait a minute, you're not the same guy!!!

Images

I also can, will and have carried my dog when he is tired or hot. This is why I like a smaller dog for hiking.

Images

You guys, please, dogs get dehydrated and/or overheated very easily. Gee whiz. I talked to a vet last year in a trail town who said he gets dozens and dozens of dehydrated hiking dogs, sometimes several a day.

I know you guys love your dogs but to a third party it seems neglectful. Think of it like this: if it were a child and it were reported there would be problems.
    I can't speak for the other dog owners, but I tend to be more mindful of the signals my dog is sending me than I am some of the signals that my own body is sending me. I've had tired dogs on the trail, but never dehydrated ones. Dehydrated dogs happen when the owners are not as mindful of the dogs as they should be...for whatever reason.

Images

that was funny! Oh yeah I have to carry his small rather heavy arse in the snow and rain due to him not wanting to have anything to do with either lol he loves the inside of my jacket with his head popped out the top.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdaddy View Post
    I also can, will and have carried my dog when he is tired or hot. This is why I like a smaller dog for hiking.
    I was actually thinking about that just now, if you hike with a dog you have to be able to carry him or her out if he gets sick or injured.

You're the guy who has the Boston Terrier, right? I love the picture of him on the bus. I have wanted a Frenchie since before they were popular but when I saw that pic I started thinking about one of those little guys instead.

Images

No hand sanitizer, just good, old-fashioned hand washing. Thank you.

Images

I was actually thinking about that just now, if you hike with a dog you have to be able to carry him or her out if he gets sick or injured.

You're the guy who has the Boston Terrier, right? I love the picture of him on the bus. I have wanted a Frenchie since before they were popular but when I saw that pic I started thinking about one of those little guys instead.

I would say he is the best dog I have ever known and most say the same, I could get you the same breeder if you want. I have also not "fixed" him due to him being so good. No leash for 9 days and he saw a bear......did nothing and came to me when I called. he weighs 15 lbs right now and is the standard. I love Frenchies next in line to Bostons! He was 5 months old and did dicks-fontana in 07 Great dogs but not good in bad weather...on the other hand size helps with that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++