WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Why would you think that? Do you have an aversion to having behavior looked into under such a large microscope. It sounds like somewhere in you're childhood you may have felt like people were picking on your every move. That would certainly lead to a life where you would wish for less input from others. . .
    possibly the best response I've ever heard on WB...made me laugh anyway!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    possibly the best response I've ever heard on WB...made me laugh anyway!

geek
    I can be a ray of sunshine. . . at times. Think I'll give myself 100 points.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Why would you think that?
    Because the voices in my head don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    Because the voices in my head don't like them.
    Armchairs or psychologists? It seems your present state makes that a valid question.

Awesome movie & book.

Alex did what he did, for me that said it all.

There is no way I will get into any conversation of 'why?' 'motives' etc.
    -Omar Morales
    Future AT hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Omarwannahike View Post
    Alex did what he did, for me that said it all.

Actually, his name was Chris. "Alex" was his "trail" name.

There is no way I will get into any conversation of 'why?' 'motives' etc.
    'Why?' not???

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-05-2007 at 14:38.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    'Why?' not???

You're right, alex was his trail name.......DAVE.

geek

Saw it yesterday at The Great Escape in Moline IL.

For me as a lover of the book and a outdoorsmen/hiker it was good.

I read the book when it came out and liked it alot. I can relate to the constant wonderlust and needing to see and experiance the world on a level that some would see as insane or at least unrealistically idealistic...but it has its power that it gifts you with things undescribable.

It was actually funny to see places in the film that I have hiked.

I didnt care so much for the Sisters narrative, as it was from authro J.K>s perspective in the book, so it worked...maybe it was a need to explain the wonderslust he had....it did to a point, but still...

to escape the confines of an unreal world that you are taught is the only way to live and to get outside of that and to see the world and meet its people is a trip worth taking, and I agree with the main point, Happiness is only worthwhile when shared.

True, but it sometimes takes selfish acts to get to that point....ie, the point in which you get some form of worldy knowledge worth sharing because it brings you happiness and joy that some people overlook.

It was arty and it felt shorter then the 2 1./2 hours, again...worth seeing I think.

the theater was almost full, and after 2 months in release, that is pretty impressive.

it was great. I did like the book better than the film but thats how it always is for me. What I did like about the film is that it corrected the location images that I created while reading. For example while reading I pictured Alaska as having a hell of a lot more trees. Having never visited or seen many pictures I was surprised to see how barren it really was. Also the city scene was a lot more intense than I imagined. Like Lionking said I didnt like the sister's narration, though after thinking about it who would narrate if it was the sister? I dont think a random guy like JK would make sence for the film so in that way and since chris and his sister were so close it was fitting. I also didnt like that they didnt touch on the mold on the seeds at all. The book says that they were actually the correct seeds but that the wet weather and the plastic bag had caused a poisonous mold to grow. In the film it was passed off that they were the wrong seeds. The final thing I didnt like is how little emphasis there was on the moose incident. The book was a lot more intense. But all and all it was amazing. I own the book and will most deffinatly be owning the film when it is released.

I liked the movie. I thought it seemed like the entire movie was a long preview. Like one of those epic previews thats packs all the action in. not that there was whole lot of action. just that it was almost short clips of movie all together with background music going the whole time. i think it did a good job of fitting the events from the book into the movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by watchingtrainsgoby View Post
    I also didnt like that they didnt touch on the mold on the seeds at all.
    In the book, Krakauer revisits this theory (of McCandless' death) at least once or twice. And it seems that the seed-mold theory is also in doubt now (I saw that while hunting down some google searches the other night -- from an article in Anchorage Daily News.)

I recently saw the film (interesting story, great filming of the wilderness) and came away somewhat confused and depressed myself. I tried not to judge McCandless, I just wanted to understand his motivations. It is in many ways a story of a very much alone young man (McCandless was born in 1968, same year I was) who shares his sense of "aloneness" with others (think of the elderly gentleman or the baby boom, the teenage girl without friends, the hippie women who lost contact with her own son). I also found how difficult it must have been to be his sister, wondering why he put her through so much pain (hate the one's who love you the most theory?).

I also didn't like the association between Walden (a sense of liberation from consumer society) and McCandless (a sense of alienation from self, parents and society). I'm sorry McCandless died so young and in pain, but his outdoor skills were poor, his planning even worse, his anger at his parents very deep and his rejection of modern capitalism shallow (he does work two different jobs to afford his trip to Alaska, so like all of us he does "need" money to get his wants met, and he does donate 24K to a charity, why not burn that pile of money?).
    I don't think McCandless was a restless soul who went to the wilderness in search of himself, I think he was a reckless and very alienated person.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I recently saw the film (interesting story, great filming of the wilderness) and came away somewhat confused and depressed myself. I tried not to judge McCandless, I just wanted to understand his motivations. It is in many ways a story of a very much alone young man (McCandless was born in 1968, same year I was) who shares his sense of "aloneness" with others (think of the elderly gentleman or the baby boom, the teenage girl without friends, the hippie women who lost contact with her own son). I also found how difficult it must have been to be his sister, wondering why he put her through so much pain (hate the one's who love you the most theory?).

I also didn't like the association between Walden (a sense of liberation from consumer society) and McCandless (a sense of alienation from self, parents and society). I'm sorry McCandless died so young and in pain, but his outdoor skills were poor, his planning even worse, his anger at his parents very deep and his rejection of modern capitalism shallow (he does work two different jobs to afford his trip to Alaska, so like all of us he does "need" money to get his wants met, and he does donate 24K to a charity, why not burn that pile of money?).
    I don't think McCandless was a restless soul who went to the wilderness in search of himself, I think he was a reckless and very alienated person.

Interesting and well written opinion on the movie. However I disagree that "Walden" is not atleast a little bit analogous to Chris McCandless's story. I don't think McCandless was on Thoreau's intellectual level, but I do think they had the same sort of "Transcendental" mind set on the world around them. Just my opinion!

Just Jim

Just saw this movie and hated it. I read the book when it first came out and found it interesting, but there seemed to be a lot in the movie that wasn't in the book, and a lot in the book that wasn't in the movie.
    I was disappointed with the photography and found the sister's voiceovers really annoying. Quite a few people left before it was over, and my husband asked if it was as bad as he thought it was. I had to agree, I feel like I wasted good money and a couple of hours.

I'd recommend the book, but not the movie.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

I went to enjoy the movie which I knew did not have an enjoyable ending.
    I actually liked the movie a bit better than the book, which is rare.
    I didn't realize the movie was that long.
    I was young once and not so wise and feel lucky to be here today, but I never had a death wish.
    What I thought best defined the person he was, were the people he touched. None of them seemed to think he was mental.
    Many "normal" folks think you have a few screws loose to want to thruhike.
    Sure he was different than most but I don't see that as a negative.
    I didn't see the negatives in the music or narrative either.
    Like the book, I thought the movie was time well spent, but then, I feel the same way about thruhiking.

I saw the movie a few weeks ago. It was pretty good. The movie I saw yesterday (No Country for Old Men) was better.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    I saw the movie a few weeks ago. It was pretty good. The movie I saw yesterday (No Country for Old Men) was better.
    Cormac McCarthy wrote No Country for Old Men. I've read a bunch of his books. He's a great author. The Coen Brothers (Raising Arizona, Oh Brother Were Art Thou?) adapted it to the big screen.

McCarthy recently won the Pulitzer for his book entitled The Road. Sort of like a post-apocalyptic thru-hike, where resupplies are hard to find. It should come out in film in '09. Great book, though a bit depressing.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I just downloaded the sound track from the movie! The music is fantastic....that is if you like Eddie Vedder. Check it out!

Just Jim

Default ???

i have no idea when the movie comes out. but alex (christopher mccandless) is not a fool for following his dreams.
    Trisha_38

greta quote mowgli the thing about chances and choices
    Trisha_38

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++