WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default home made candle lantern?

Has anyone tried making a home made version of the UCO candle lantern out of one of the various alluminum bottles avialable out there or am I having an original idea here? I have not built one yet but have certainly got the creative juices flowing. Really looking forward to seeing other peoples ideas on this. Anyone had success on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Might be on the similiar means. But I did something with a coke can for a school project. With tin snips, I cut the top and a front section off. Then made a handle out of the scarp, wrapped the handle with duck tape, and used nuts and screws on the exposed ends to fasten to the can. Used a tea candle in the base.

If you use a candle use another candle, you might want to put foil behind the candle.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Has anyone tried making a home made version of the UCO candle lantern out of one of the various alluminum bottles avialable out there or am I having an original idea here? I have not built one yet but have certainly got the creative juices flowing. Really looking forward to seeing other peoples ideas on this. Anyone had success on this?
    http://www.imrisk.com/teacandle/teacandle.htm
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Good information in the link, thank you!

DMW, what clear plastic is the most heat resistant for this type of application, in your opinion?

I have a small plastic tea candle holder thingy thats used as a nite-lite type application maybe. Maybe votive use? Need to make my way through the stuff in the garage to find it, I'll post photo asap. Has an aluminum lid with large holes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Good information in the link, thank you!

DMW, what clear plastic is the most heat resistant for this type of application, in your opinion?

I have a small plastic tea candle holder thingy thats used as a nite-lite type application maybe. Maybe votive use? Need to make my way through the stuff in the garage to find it, I'll post photo asap. Has an aluminum lid with large holes.
    Probably polyester ("PETE" recycling symbol). It's the plastic used in most soft drink containers. It's also the clearest. Polypropylene & polyethylene (PP & PE) melt at very low temps, PETE may soften and warp but won't melt.

There's also an easier candle lantern - take a 16 oz plastic soda bottle and cut off the top couple of inches. Turn the top around and stick it back into the bottle, creating downward facing funnel in the bottom of the bottle. Jam a stick candle into the mouth of the bottle (the bottom of the funnel). Now it's an open topped lamp.

Images

BTW, that web page came about because of a W-B thread. I tried to find the thread but couldn't locate it. I might be the tipi-tent user mentioned on the page. The cut-off soda bottle with a bit of foil behind it works great inside a shelter.

I built the pepsi candle holder and it worked ok with a couple problems:
    Once lit it's hard to blow out. The can heats up and it's not easy to lift the globe to put out the candle.

The can heats up! A lot! I worried about hanging it from a line, it really needs to hang from a chain.

Playing with fire inside tents is really not recommended. But the can lantern makes a nice hand warmer on a cold morning. Be aware that I use a Black Diamond Megalite without a floor and with much headroom and great ventilation.

Images

Probably polyester ("PETE" recycling symbol). It's the plastic used in most soft drink containers. It's also the clearest. Polypropylene & polyethylene (PP & PE) melt at very low temps, PETE may soften and warp but won't melt.

There's also an easier candle lantern - take a 16 oz plastic soda bottle and cut off the top couple of inches. Turn the top around and stick it back into the bottle, creating downward facing funnel in the bottom of the bottle. Jam a stick candle into the mouth of the bottle (the bottom of the funnel). Now it's an open topped lamp.
    Thanks for that info. I'll be looking at bottle bottoms now

I'm cleaning my garage today, Ill find the little gizmo that I mentioned.

Images

Now here's something else to throw into the mix - the soda can candle was incredibly fragile. It would crush easily. That's another reason I quit using it. The original post mentioned the new aluminum bottles - like the aluminum beer bottles Skids has used for some stoves. One of those would be much more durable. I'm pretty sure nobody's played with the idea, so the field's wide open.

At one time I was thinking of a design of a hanging candle holder made with a cut off, clear water bottle section as the middle and then separate metal top and bottom connected by wires running outside the water bottle portion. It would be more durable and collapsible for easy packing. I never carried out the concept because I never got a round tuit.

Images

Default can't find the gizmo

Did'nt find it.

Had an idea to make one out of a small/short baby bottle. They are made of lexan and should hold up well. Very stout I might add. I have to wait till Mon. to get some at the thrift store, they have them there all the time.

It's gonna work, I'll make it based on the design of the gizmo.

Images

iss ok. in prepperation for thiss projedt I just empted four 16 oz Budweisses in the aluminuminum bottels.

What wasd the question?

Images

iss ok. in prepperation for thiss projedt I just empted four 16 oz Budweisses in the aluminuminum bottels.

What wasd the question?
    The resulting candle lite should be verrrry interesting

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino whispers this is an interesting idea so as not to hurt DWM's head :::

I would like one that can be used to simmer tea while I am reading. I find one tealight is not quite bright enough for reading, unless you get the reflector working very well and aimed just right. Any ideas on getting a relector to project more downwards? DWM ? DWM ? oops. sorry to disturb you.

Thirty years ago, I used a lantern, like the one you showed. I don't use it anymore. It gets so hot, I don't feel safe using it the compact tents of today.

Though I have never made one, Tinny has an interesting design he calls the Waterlite. While the candle flame may produce as much heat as the lantern I retired, Tinny's shade is water-cooled. You can make one with goods found in your recycle bin.

Here are a few videos, showing Tinny's Waterlite.
    Waterlite users guide
    www.minibulldes ign.com waterlite

Tinny is an interesting character. Check out the rest of his video clips, here.
    Roland

Images

There is a discussion of various oil lamps on this thread that might serve as an alternative.

I built an olive oil lamp out of a Rockstar energy drink can that works well.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Well a made a 2 in 1 stove after reading about oil lamp its now a 3 in one.This stove starts out on alchol then when its al burnt out the oil wicks take over and it will simmer for over 30. min or more.

Now when the alcohol is done burning the oil wicks take over plus you could just use it as a lanter oh the stove is a cat stove there is a a small cap in the middle of stove were the wick sits in oil i use two holes of the cat stove poke wicks out about a 1/4 in.

Last edited by oops56; 09-17-2007 at 01:01.

Images

Rockstar! Energy candles! They're great! I've made a bunch of them tonight. I'll be making them all night! I don't feel like sleeping. This week!

Is it ok to tie a loop in the wick? Like an overhand knot? What happens if you tie an overhand knot using an underhand motion does it then just become a knot? Or not?

Images

Default Tea Candle Lantern

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019
    I'll try UCO candle version next. The baby bottle plastic works just fine.

How far have your creative juices gotten you over the weekend?

Creative Juices!!! I made the lantern using a juice can.

This is a prototype, hacked out for testing purposes.

I used a baby bottle and a juice can to make this candle holder.
    Can fits perfect inside of bottle. Raise the can to put candle in and to light candle. Two candles can be stored inside, when one is consumed, remove old tin and light next candle.

So far, after 45 min. of burning, bottle is easily held onto, can is too hot to touch.

Pull tab is left attached to accomidate a chain or stainless steel fishing leader of your choice.

Initial test is favorable.

can is lowered and redy for use.
    flame pattern, inside of can reflects light outward.to

top is cutout and tab is retained
    raised for candle insertion and lighting

I came up with something simila using the bottom of 2 alluminum bottles but having trouble on making it collapse and then stay put when opened thinking of makin indents on the three suports and bending the supports out befor assembling kind of giving them a spring affect. I even have an idea for a glass shade using a tubular walmart vase that I've seen there before but unrfortunately there out of stock so I'm awaiting the infamous it will be on the next truck wich I'll probably hear for the next six months. I drilled five holes in the top near the edges to kind of vent it at the top. I haven't figured out how to do the spring thing with the candle but i'm thinking a small moose can might work for that. Unfortunately I don't have axcess to a pipe threader to make the bottom removable as I would like. Guess I ll have to keep yardsaling for that. I'm trying to make this as close to the original product as possible I might even be able to use there candles in it. If I can't get the vase I'm looking for I may even use one of there glass shades.

I'm contimplating making the three candle model but unsure of what to use for the main structure. I've read that the large one can be used to boil water. I'm not sure how true that is because it seems the candles are kind of far away from the lid to do that but maybe. Hey yeah never know.

Awesome pics of your light Zelph I wish I could post pics of mine I don't have a camers though. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with on your version of the UCO.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Images

Rockstar! Energy candles! They're great! I've made a bunch of them tonight. I'll be making them all night! I don't feel like sleeping. This week!

Is it ok to tie a loop in the wick? Like an overhand knot? What happens if you tie an overhand knot using an underhand motion does it then just become a knot? Or not?
    2 litre mtn dew with a can of redbull added as a kicker has the same results
    I was going too fast the other day to include how humerous your post was.

It's so funny it's cool!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++