WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nice job. Looks like it could even be made in the field after eating the applesauce or using it as a binder in baked goods like brownies.

Default Ubi's lantern & stove combo

This idea is not really original but a combination of different ideas from several designs on the net.

Firstly I've always been a fan of Mark Jurey's penny stove but my version of its made of coke cans since Heinnys cant be bought where I'm at. Good thing about that is it can nestle a tealight pretty snugly in its inner rim.

Then,when I saw Jason Klass' video on how to combine the hardware cloth stand with his tealight stove, I thought hey! Why dont I combine the two and make a candle lantern/stove.

So, i made a new hardware cloth stand but with a twist.

At the bottom I left 3 wires (evenly spaced out) uncut. I then bent these upwards.

At the top I made 2 loops for a hanger attachment (at opposite ends of each other). Next I fixed a piece of wire to both of em so there is an attachment to hang the stove.

I then (as per Jason's instruction) made a base for the stand using a piece of aluminum foil. Lastly, I cut up a piece of transparency 3 1/2 inch by 11 inch and stapled the 2 ends together making a tube slightly larger than the stand.

After everythings done, it looks like this:

Cont.

Now lantern mode:

Closeup

How it looks like lit:

So what you end up with is a stove without lots of loose parts which can double as a lantern.

Please feel free to suggest any modifications. I'm always open to ideas.

Images

Default Nice design

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
    Cont.

Now lantern mode:

Please feel free to suggest any modifications. I'm always open to ideas.
    I like how the stoves depression keeps the candle centered in the lantern.

I like the Maylasian hardware cloth. Looks like 1/2" X 1" I like it better than 1/4" squares.

Are there alot of backpackers in Maylasian Jungles where you are?

Right now I think there are more mosquitos in Illinois than there are in Maylasia

Thx Zelph,

Ya the teacandle fits nicely in the depression but you could also add a bit of bluetac under it for more stability.

There arent that many backpackers over here in Malaysia. Prob because our jungle consists of pretty dense vegetation infested with leeches, mossies and sandflies. Lightweight backpacking really hasnt caught on yet unless you include the aboriginals who venture into the jungle for weeks with nothing but a 10inch blade and a few ciggies . Heavy 70L backpacks and campingaz canister stoves are still a common sight around here but tarps(of the non silnylon variety) are getting pretty popular not because its weight but because of costs.

Sorry for being off topic hehe.

Great thread guys and some really good fun ideas. I saw some of Tinny's video's on you tube where he mentions his "waterlite", but I don't think he ever has (or may have intended) to sell it. Does anyone know how to make it? Is Tinny ever around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Thirty years ago, I used a lantern, like the one you showed. I don't use it anymore. It gets so hot, I don't feel safe using it the compact tents of today.

Though I have never made one, Tinny has an interesting design he calls the Waterlite. While the candle flame may produce as much heat as the lantern I retired, Tinny's shade is water-cooled. You can make one with goods found in your recycle bin.

Here are a few videos, showing Tinny's Waterlite.
    Waterlite users guide
    www.minibulldes ign.com waterlite

Tinny is an interesting character. Check out the rest of his video clips, here.
    I have made Tinny's waterlight and also used a Renuzit Air Freshener can (two actually) to make a UCO candle lantern using an old flower stem vase as the globe. Then I bought a real UCO. Spend the $15 at Walmart. You will save the cost of Band-aids.
    Oh jeez! are we near the crest yet?

Journal Entries
    Images

Lot's of great ideas, I'm not old enough but my dad gave me one a camping lantern - compact, lightweight, windows are made from Mica!

Here is where you can read about it.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,40731&ap=1
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Time to start thinging of DIY winter projects. We will be spending a lot of time indoors this winter, weather will be brutal.

Glad pure_mahem started this thread way back when.

Images

Multi wick gives off a good amount of heat. This little unit burns olive oil, dual purpose fuel

Could you explain a bit about how you made that? I like the idea.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Could you explain a bit about how you made that? I like the idea.
    Lid of small metal container has holes punched into the lid to receive glass wick holders. They prevent the wicks from falling back into the container. Here is what they look like:

flat_head_glass_wick_inserts_medium.jpg

Never actually used it in a tent, just a fun experiment.

I like the idea of an oil burning system, especially if the added weight of the oil is not too great for the potential added comfort and warmth, Zelph. I can see such a system being particularly useful for a short hike into the cold followed by a long night tenting out in the snow. "Lid of small metal container has holes punched into the lid to receive glass wick holders. They prevent the wicks from falling back into the container."
    What is the metal container that you use? Do you have an extra lid for it so that it can be closed up for transport? Where do you find the glass wick holders? I see some wick devices for floating wicks in oil; are those the ones you use? The ones I saw seemed to be mostly designed for a fairly short usage; do you replace the wicking material, or the whole wick assembly?
    Trail name Catnapper

I remember the day when Brass candle lanterns (Sold by REI and others.) were the thing to have for any hiker.

Images

I made that multi wick burner many years ago. Only had the one container which was purchased at a craft store along with the floating glass wick holders. Did not have a lid to seal the entire burner and that is why I never proceded to use it. There was too much fiddle factor involved to take it on a hike. Car camping might be ok or to have one in a remote cabin. The wick material I had was fiberglass which lasted a long time. Never had to replace the wicks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fugacal-7...xoC5ncQAvD_BwE

I have seen mason jars with solid steel lids. Might be able to find a silicone lid to fit over it.

Let me check amongst my stuff to see if I have something that might work. I have stainless steel mason jar mugs. Be back tomorrow.

You got my interest because even when I don't carry a stove, I almost always have olive oil. If there was a simple and effective way to make a lamp that burned it (in a similar weight range to an alcohol stove), I might be tempted to carry it. Especially if it weren't a nightmare to light in cold weather - I'm not sure if olive oil would ignite well in sub freezing temperatures?

Images

Thinking back, another thing to consider is extinguishing the flames. They need to be snuffed out by placing a lid/cover over them and then let the cover stay there for 10 min. or so for the unit to cool down. Take the lid off too soon and there will be too much smoke given off.

I did not test lighting the olive oil wicks in sub freezing temps. Use a long nose bic to ignite in cold weather:

https://www.michaels.com/darice-wide...kaApGMEALw_wcB
    https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Stainl...a-751393912451

https://www.target.com/p/ball-4ct-8o...h/-/A-12911515

8 oc fuel capacity:

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I remember the day when Brass candle lanterns (Sold by REI and others.) were the thing to have for any hiker.
    I still have 2 from different makers.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    https://www.rei.com/product/838879/u...candle-lantern

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++