WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default leasons learned

Hey!!! all baby bottles are not the same diameter. I tried using a no name bottle and the juice can won't fit. The small bottle I used the first time was a small Gerber brand. For what it was worth.

Hey!!! the candles I'm using are'nt worth a toot. The tea candle I used yesterday petered out after 35 min of burning. The wick went limp and keeled over and almost drowned in its own melted wax. I bought a taller candle today at ace Hardware thinking larger candle, longer burn. Fits in the juice can, very good!!! I light the candle and it turns out to be wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. The wick seems to burn up and only a tiny portion is left to give of light. Humbug!!

HOI, give us an education on tea candles if you will please. Skids, maybe you can as well. Anyone and everyone chime in here on candles.

How do we choose candles?

How in the world do some of you manage to heat water with these little tea candles?

wimpy, wimpy, wimpy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    ...HOI, give us an education on tea candles if you will please. Skids, maybe you can as well. Anyone and everyone chime in here on candles.

How do we choose candles?
    Personally, I choose them according to the size, price, weight, and, occasionally, color of the tin itself.

I rarely carry a candle while hiking unless you count trick birthday candles for starting fires.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I can't say as I ever carried the candle part of the tea light - just the tin part

for a candle lantern I would use a bent piece of wire that would hold a twist of toilet paper centered in the tea light candle tin - pour in some olive oil and light once the wick is saturated - use the side walls of a 20 ounce soda bottle as the globe - attach a string to the bottom of the globe and sit a rock on the string to keep the globe from blowing over

I carry two kinds of candles.
    1. Tea light candle ~ 0.5"x1.5"Dia. = 0.5oz = 500 BTU
    2. Beeswax candle ~ 4.5"x3/8"Dia. = 0.5oz = 500 BTU
    I'm not really sure on the dimensions but I know they both weigh the same.

The tealight I use in my tealight candle lantern. I've carried spares but never really burned more than 1 on a trip so I just carry 1 now. The beeswax candle, I bought a whole box of these 100% beeswax Greek Orthodox candles at Mardens, I use to help light my Kelly Kettle, not really neccessary, but makes it easier. I suppose they are multi-use also for zippers and stuff, but I've never used them for that.

It's been awhile since I looked at burn times. I think within a tealight lantern they might only last 1.5 hours. So about 300 BTU/hour at best, maybe less. At 50% efficiency (good luck unless its like 120F degrees out ) that would heat up 8oz of water in about 30 minutes. In practice it is enough to keep it warm for while your reading, but not enough to make tea. 1 candle really isn't enough to read a book either. It's enough to setup camp, and enough to read instructions, but not enough for a long leisurely read, unless you get the reflector angled just right. I might get one of thise three wick candle lanterns though, or make one. Heavy, but they would do the job, and maybe even make tea.

Hi My first post ,

Been interested in building a candle lantern for a long time but could not find a design I like. This thread gave me alot of interesting ideas to try out and when I saw these in a grocery shop my creative juices started flowing :

So this is what I came out with. Its still at prototype level but I'm open to suggestions.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...90159Large.jpg

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
    ... So this is what I came out with. Its still at prototype level but I'm open to suggestions.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...90159Large.jpg
    Dances LIKES!
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Dances LIKES!
    Zelph double lliikkeess likeslikes

Images

I love how you put the rim on the soda bottle.

Nice work! Good looking design and simple.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Hahaha thx for the compliments guys. And coming from gurus like dances, zelph and skidster it is high praise indeed. .

Very nice!Very lite! Does the shade distort at all after burning through the tealight, for reuseability?
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Looks like the soda bottle comes with an aluminum lid, Skids. The question is , where did you find the soda bottles, Ubi ?

By the way I have not seen those plasic bottles befor with the can lids. Where did you acquire that unique material? I would love to get my hands on some of those.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner50 View Post
    Looks like the soda bottle comes with an aluminum lid, Skids. The question is , where did you find the soda bottles, Ubi ?
    Huh. I missed that.

Never seen that animal before. I'd like to know where to find them too.
    Skids

Images

Default transparent cans

Here is a little information on the soda in transparent cans:

Pure Mahem,
    I tried cutting the bottom out from my first attempt at this (leaving the metal top untouched) and the plastic did distort after like 15 minutes. On my 2nd go (which is the one you see now) it's perfectly ok even after 30 to 40 mins as all the heat goes up the top. I did poke a few holes at the bottom just in case. I'll try leaving the candle in there for a bit longer tonight to see what happens. Probably gonna weigh it also.

I live in Malaysia and they can be found in the 7-11s here. If anyone want one I'll be more than happy to send it to ya (minus the contents of course to save weight tho you're not missing much).

Take a small one that fit in the big one and got some side room glue it down put water in between the two the candle in small one the light still shine though.

Images

Lightbulb A 2004 thread on the same topic...

Might find some helpful info in this earlier thread...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5678

Enjoy!

I built some of these, but found they were way too fragile to survive in a backpack, or hanging on the outside of it.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 09-20-2007 at 10:23.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Might find some helpful info in this earlier thread...

Enjoy!

I built some of these, but found they were way too fragile to survive in a backpack, or hanging on the outside of it.

RainMan

Thanks Rainman, there was a post in that thread that gave me some insight to a previous question that I had.

The post said:just quickly read through this post and had a couple of comments.

First, I can't help myself on this one, I've got to do it: You are playing with fire so be careful.

Second, not all tea light candles are the same. I sometimes use them around the house and have bought different brands. Some brands last about 4 hours while others last only about 2 hours. The quicker burning ones have a much larger flame and put off a lot more heat. The point of that is that if your plastic holder works okay with a cooler '4 hour candle' that doesn't mean that it won't melt or even burn with a hotter '2 hour candle'. Be careful with that.

Youngblood
    Last edited by zelph; 09-20-2007 at 11:31.

With all of this talk about tealights I put the UCO candle light copy on the back burner and went in a defferent direction. Probably inspired by the MOTTS apple sauce I was eating at the time.

So this is "THE PURE MOTTS' LANTERN" invented and designed by Pure Mahem accept not immitations it's simply the best!

Materials
    2 MOTTs apple sauce single serving plastic cups
    Bottom portion of one soda can (However a red bull can would probably work with even less modification)
    About ten inches of floral wire (found this stuff at walmart a long time ago it's cheap and strong I also use this for small game snares in my survival kit)
    2 split rings probably not necessary but thats how I made it
    1 four hour tealight I have not seen the 2 hour tealights

Tools
    Small pair of sharp scissors (I have ones that kind of have a curve to them I use for fly fishing)
    1/16" Drill bit in a drill
    Needle nose pliers

Directions
    I started by cutting the bottom out of one of the apple sauce cups.

Then I drilled six holes around the outside bottom of the other cup.

Next I drilled two holes, one on each side of the top lip on both of the cups, so the holes line up when you stack the cup with the bottom cut out upside down on the cup with the holes drilled around the bottom.

I then attached a split ring to one end of the floral wire by twisting it on like a bread tie using my needle nose pliers to hold the ends of the wire.

I threaded the wire up from the bottom side of the cup with the holes drilled in the bottom through the lined up holes in both cups and over the top of the entire assembly and down through the holes on the other side and attached another split ring on the that side creating a hanging/carrying handle for the light.

Next I made a bowl for the tealight to sit in as to difuse the heat away from the bottom of the apple sauce cup, so as not to melt the bottom.

In order to do this I took a pepsi can and trimmed around the bottom with my scissors, I used the paint line on the can as a guide to cut a perfect circle.

Next I cut a series of cuts around the bottom of the can approximately 1/8 of an inch apart. I faced the cuts toward the center of the can and ended the cuts right where the can starts to bend up to the rim of the concave bowl.

I then used the needle nose pliers to bend the tabs straight down all the way around the can so that the can bottom would rest in the bottom of the apple sauce cup and lay there flat with out popping up at an angle. This step takes a little bit of finessing to get it right.

I also think you may be able to use the botom 1/4 inch of a red bull can for this with out doing all the bending like I did on the pepsi can. However, I used the materials I had at hand.

Now place the Tea light on top of the soda can bottom and pick up the center of the floral wire and tah dah now you have "THE PURE MOTTS' LANTERN". Enjoy.

I don't have a scale but this thing is really light.

The top shade moves up to open for easy placement and replacement of the tealight.

The whole light can be carried any where it is not hot either by the wire handle or the base.

The light can be hung by the handle or set on a table it is really stable.

The light remains slightly warm and does not melt or distort any of the plastic at all.

I have burned a 4 hour tealight in it completely through and it remained the same the whole way through, usure of results with a 2 hour tealight but I have yet to see one of these.

This thing is awesome and easy to make!

AS WITH ANY CANDLE OR FLAME PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED USE YOUR HEAD AND COMMON SENSE AS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I had to throw in the disclaimer you never know what some one will try to sue you over. LOL

I don't have any pics but I will try to borrow a friends camera so I can get some and put them up I hope this has been an adequate description

The apple sauce cups I used had a barrel design on them which made this really easy to find the center for drilling and placing the bottom wholes at the right spaces but I don't see why this wouldn't work with the plain clear ones It's the same plastic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++