WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Hmmm, maybe some adult supervision on this trip would be good. Adults are all into that punctuality thing, ya know.
    ==============================

...and maybe some adult beverages ????? Still have that key to the liqour cabinet onboard the StarSchlep ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Yeah, still got the key, despite the fact that the SSWB has been defunct for some time now. Ya know, if we'd spent more time on the bridge and less time in the ol' liquor locker . . . well, that wasn't gonna happen, was it?

I saw that the Coosa crosses over GA 180 - in the backcountry can you hear traffic from it or from the road going past Vogel (GA60?)?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
    I saw that the Coosa crosses over GA 180 - in the backcountry can you hear traffic from it or from the road going past Vogel (GA60?)?
    Yes, from about a mile away at most, but you can camp away from the roads.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I'd say about half of the loop is far enough from the road that traffic noise isn't perceptible. Nearer the highway? Yup, and GA 180 is popular with the motorcyclists, too.

I'd say about half of the loop is far enough from the road that traffic noise isn't perceptible. Nearer the highway? Yup, and GA 180 is popular with the motorcyclists, too.
    Is the trail heavily used? I would guess not based on the previous comment about it being overgrown. I may be doing the trail next weekend.

Journal Entries
    Images

Might like to join in on this hike if you guys think I can handle it next time.

Images

Ah heck, ya prolly coulda handled it last time. Only one way to find out for sure so c'mon!

BTW, it'll probably be early or mid-February; SoRuck's next week and Skids gets just one kitchen pass a month.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ah heck, ya prolly coulda handled it last time. Only one way to find out for sure so c'mon!

BTW, it'll probably be early or mid-February; SoRuck's next week and Skids gets just one kitchen pass a month.

I dont know for sure if I'll be ready for winter hammock camping by then. Just keep me in mind, worst case scenario is I say no I aint ready.

Images

The Coosa is extremely well blazed and not overgrown. There is good flowing water at several points along the trail from the recent rains. I passed ~15 people on the trail Dec 30. There is an excellent campsite ~.2mi North of the Coosa/DRT intersection on the Duncan Ridge Trail near the Coosa Bald.

Enjoy

Egads
    Last edited by Egads; 01-13-2008 at 21:08.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    The Coosa is extremely well blazed and not overgrown. There is good flowing water at several points along the trail from the recent rains. I passed ~15 on the trail Dec 30. There is an excellent campsite ~.2mi North of the Coosa/DRT intersection on the Duncan Ridge Trail near the Coosa Bald.

Enjoy

Egads
    Thanks. A buddy of mine is going to be coming up this weekend, and wants to do a hike. The Coosa is the perfect length and obviously a loop - my concern is the accessibility to day hikers and the fact that it crosses GA 180 twice. However, last year we did a hike around the Chatooga river, and he complained that there were too many day hikers, and even people with their kids on the trail - he has requested something more remote and less traveled. I thought about an in-and-out on the BMT from Three Forks, but from what I understand you get some day hikers and car campers around the Toccoa. I've also though about a BMT-AT loop from Springer, but this is the most heavily travelled stretch of the AT. Maybe the BMT section through the Cohuttas? I know I'm obsessing, but I don't get to hike much, and I want to get the most bang for the limited time I have. Any advice would be welcome.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. A buddy of mine is going to be coming up this weekend, and wants to do a hike. The Coosa is the perfect length and obviously a loop - my concern is the accessibility to day hikers and the fact that it crosses GA 180 twice. However, last year we did a hike around the Chatooga river, and he complained that there were too many day hikers, and even people with their kids on the trail - he has requested something more remote and less traveled. I thought about an in-and-out on the BMT from Three Forks, but from what I understand you get some day hikers and car campers around the Toccoa. I've also though about a BMT-AT loop from Springer, but this is the most heavily travelled stretch of the AT. Maybe the BMT section through the Cohuttas? I know I'm obsessing, but I don't get to hike much, and I want to get the most bang for the limited time I have. Any advice would be welcome.
    Is there something wrong with kids on the trail? My seven year old and/or five year old accompany me on all my day hikes with lengths approaching 8 to 9 miles. Both are fairly well behaved and might even talk to you if I gave them permission. So I want to know if I am offending people by taking my children with me on hikes, trying to pass my love of the outdoors that our God has given us to my children?

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Is there something wrong with kids on the trail? My seven year old and/or five year old accompany me on all my day hikes with lengths approaching 8 to 9 miles. Both are fairly well behaved and might even talk to you if I gave them permission. So I want to know if I am offending people by taking my children with me on hikes, trying to pass my love of the outdoors that our God has given us to my children?
    IMO, nothing wrong with kids on the trail per se. However, there is a distinction between kids who belong on the trail, and kids that don't, meaning kids who are loud, disruptive, and leave a trail of litter and cheese doodles and doritos.

Journal Entries
    Images

IMO, nothing wrong with kids on the trail per se. However, there is a distinction between kids who belong on the trail, and kids that don't, meaning kids who are loud, disruptive, and leave a trail of litter and cheese doodles and doritos.
    Kids are load and disruptive, that is what they do. While my kids KNOW that we do not litter on the trail, I am not bothered by my kids becoming excited when they see something neat or new to them. Just yesterday my five year old son and I went on a hike that left us on top of a huge rock outcrop. When he wanted to jump off a boulder that was 4 or 5 feet above the trail, I was fine. Now had someone else came by, I would have made him stop. But when he was jumping, laughing, hollering, and just generally having a good time, I was happy for him. If you turn a hike with your kids into something boring or into a military experience, do you honestly think the hobby will interest them?? Just let me know where and when you and your friend are going to hike, I'll be sure my kids and I aren't there, enjoying the outdoors by laughing and having a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Kids are load and disruptive, that is what they do. While my kids KNOW that we do not litter on the trail, I am not bothered by my kids becoming excited when they see something neat or new to them. Just yesterday my five year old son and I went on a hike that left us on top of a huge rock outcrop. When he wanted to jump off a boulder that was 4 or 5 feet above the trail, I was fine. Now had someone else came by, I would have made him stop. But when he was jumping, laughing, hollering, and just generally having a good time, I was happy for him. If you turn a hike with your kids into something boring or into a military experience, do you honestly think the hobby will interest them?? Just let me know where and when you and your friend are going to hike, I'll be sure my kids and I aren't there, enjoying the outdoors by laughing and having a good time.
    Whoa, now, no need to be sarcastic. I think that most people can make the distinction between excited kids having a good time, as they should on the trail, and people with kids, and other day hikers who have no concept of leave no trace and trail ethics. These are the types of people I want to avoid on my hike, not someone who is an experienced hiker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whoa, now, no need to be sarcastic. I think that most people can make the distinction between excited kids having a good time, as they should on the trail, and people with kids, and other day hikers who have no concept of leave no trace and trail ethics. These are the types of people I want to avoid on my hike, not someone who is an experienced hiker.

Well, really touched a nerve there. It came across in your original thread as children shouldn't be in the wood at all. So far as people/day hikers with children on the trail, the ones with disrespectful kids, it usually applies to the parents as well. Neither one, the adults or the kids belong out in the woods.

[quote=john30563;499879]It came across in your original thread as children shouldn't be in the wood at all. [quote]

No, that was not my intent. My point was that if a trail is accessible enough for whole families to lug all of their equipment over to the backcountry campsites, my buddy is not interested, as he is looking for something less accessible for this trip. Again, we want something that is not heavily travelled by adults or children.

Journal Entries
    Images

[quote=OhioNative;499883][quote=john30563;499879]It came across in your original thread as children shouldn't be in the wood at all.

No, that was not my intent. My point was that if a trail is accessible enough for whole families to lug all of their equipment over to the backcountry campsites, my buddy is not interested, as he is looking for something less accessible for this trip. Again, we want something that is not heavily travelled by adults or children.

OK I see what you are saying now. It just sort of touched a nerve as both of my kids love hiking and I love hiking with them. When I thought I read a thread slamming people for having their kids on the trail, I was pi$$ed. Anyway, I understand. I dont like seeing folks who have no business out there. But on that same note, we were all hiking/camping newbies at some point in our life. Instead of turning our noses up at those people, we should teach them how and what is expected on trails like the CBT. Later!h

If you're really worried about the cheez doodles and doritos... don't, the coons will have them picked up shortly after dark.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    If you're really worried about the cheez doodles and doritos... don't, the coons will have them picked up shortly after dark.

Just so you feel better....I made my five year old pack out a half eaten chicken taco I cooked for lunch on the trail yesterday he didn't finish. It is in the bear proof trash can at the trail head as of yesterday.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++