WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default No camping allowed at Maryland shelters ?

I've been reading the "Appalachian Trail Guide to Maryland and Northern Virginia With Side Trails" and I notice that at most of the shelters camping is not permitted. I was not planning on staying in the shelters, I was hoping to camp near or around the shelter itself. What about stoping any place along the trail and camping for the night? Of course we would practice "leave no trace camping". Has anyone had a problem camping at a shelter or on the trail in Maryland? Please let me know.
    tecoz

i pretty much do what i want. camping/laying down-for-the-night wise. no problem. just sleep, get up, and go

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cosden View Post
    I've been reading the "Appalachian Trail Guide to Maryland and Northern Virginia With Side Trails" and I notice that at most of the shelters camping is not permitted. I was not planning on staying in the shelters, I was hoping to camp near or around the shelter itself. What about stoping any place along the trail and camping for the night? Of course we would practice "leave no trace camping". Has anyone had a problem camping at a shelter or on the trail in Maryland? Please let me know.
    I can only think that the ground around some of the shelters might not be secure enough for tent stakes. Bald Mountain Shelter in North Carolina has that problem. Campers have to hike about a mile or more.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

No camping allowed at Maryland shelters? = FALSE

Thank's for the input everyone. I guess as long as you're not there long term nothing will be said. But I'll quote from the trail guide at Maryland Section Two, Raven Rock Hallow to Wolfsville Road-" Shelter/Camping: Ensign Cowall Memorial Shelter,Camping and open fires are prohibited in this section."
    tecoz

Images

I can't find that note about no camping allowed in my guidebook. I don't remember that particular shelter (Cowall), but I did camp at the next one down, Devil's Racecourse. There's a very large campsite not far off the trail, though you have to go way down the hill to the shelter to get your water. Looks like there's also a campsite a few miles before Cowall, so you could aim for one or the other if you were concerned about that particular shelter not allowing camping.

The only camping restrictions I recall in Maryland were at Washington Monument Park.

Images

Wait, sorry, I spoketh too soon. I did find the note. But I assume it means no "stealth" camping. Camping at shelters should be fine, as shelters are generally considered "designated campsites."

"Overnight camping in Maryland is allowed only at designated
    campsites. Please obey camping regulations in this heavily used
    section."

Images

Rocky Run has a very obvious camping area just down front of the shelter towards the water source. There was also a swing on the veranda.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Wait, sorry, I spoketh too soon. I did find the note. But I assume it means no "stealth" camping. Camping at shelters should be fine, as shelters are generally considered "designated campsites."

"Overnight camping in Maryland is allowed only at designated
    campsites. Please obey camping regulations in this heavily used
    section."
    That's why we call it "stealth" camping.

Campsites along the AT in Maryland:

Dahlgren Backpack Campground

Greenbrier State Park

Annapolis Rock Campsite

Pogo Memorial Campsite
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I think the key words are: "in this section." In Maryland, you can't camp legally just anywhere along the AT. You have to camp at/near shelters or at other designated campsites such as Pogo and Dahlgren.

So the verbage "Maryland Section Two, Raven Rock Hollow to Wolfsville Road . . . Camping and open fires are prohibited in this section." The exception is the Cowell Shelter and surrounding area.

Thank's for the detailed info everyone,it will help alot with my hiking plans.
    tecoz

Images

Here's a link from Maryland's Department of Natural Resources you may find helpful. You may find other useful information by clicking on LNT in the linked document.

++ New Posts ++