WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent help

Images

The MSR Microzoid:
    - I really wanted a Bivy sack, but when I tried one out, condensation and cooling became a problem with it.
    - The Microzoid seemed to fit the bill better, still small, but it lets air circulate around in the tent.
    - I had the chance to try it out the other week during a 2 night trip. It fit me perfect, with my Big Agnes pad there was a little extra room around the edges (maybe 2 or 3" all the way around).
    - It was easy to set up, this was my first stake tent. After putting it up 3 or 4 times before the trip, I like it better then my old free standing tent. Reason being is that I am able to make the tent and fly really tight, this helps with condensation and air circulation.
    I know with my free standing tent I could have also used stakes to tighten it up - but if I have to use stakes any ways, I would rather save weight with the MSR.
    - I bought a compression sack (small) from REI and this cut the space down by almost 1/2 of what the stock MSR stuff sack took up. This included stuffing the foot print in with the tent/fly! I was 2nd guessing spending 20 bucks for that compression sack, now I wish I had bought one for my other tent 15 years ago.
    - One thing I did notice is that in the morning (2nd day) the bottom of my bag felt damp, but I think it might have been due to me wearing sweaty socks in it (yea I know ). I will be doing another trip next month (see the Hook up area on the forum) so hopefully I find out it was my fault for wearing the wet socks to bed and not the tents design.
    - there is enough room to toss your pack by your feet and lay your feet on top of it while sleeping. This in turn would allow you to take along a shorter, lighter sleeping pad.
    This is a small tent, if you want room - skip this tent. If your looking for a small upgrade from a bivy - go for it.

thanks for yor input, I think any of the tents on the first page will do, so I guess I will look for grat deals.

But as of now, I still plan on trying a hammock.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Check the buy sell forums, I think that RockStar had a Crestone for sale. Might be a way to save some bucks.

I use an REI chrysalis I bought off these forums... it's nice, not too heavy and gets pretty decent ventilation when you need it to. I'm a big guy and I have enough room in it to be comfortable and still have gear inside (book, light, contact stuff, etc). Plus if you want to you should be able to pitch the foot print and fly by themselves. (I've never done it, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done). Plus it's a freestanding tent which can be nice.

Again though I'm not an expert, I've only spent maybe 6 nights out in the woods with it and about 100 miles on the trail, but that's my newbie experience.

http://www.rei.com/product/731428

Just finished my thru-hike with the Big Agnes SL1. Roomy enough for myself & gear. It also stood up against some incredible weather (it is also very well suited for taller individuals), but I didn't like the front entry, not to mention the vestibule is completely non-functional. If I could do it again I would probably take the Rainbow. Concider Tyvek for a ground cloth.

Images

I had an MSR Zoid 1.5 and loved it. the vestibules are plenty big for gear. They don't make the 1.5 anymore, but the Zoid 1 is a good tent. My 1.5 is still being used by a member here on WB and is going strong. Check out Ebay for old Zoids.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MSR-Zoid-1-5...QQcmdZViewItem

There's a Zoid 1.5 on ebay right now, along with a Z1 and a Z2. It's at $86 right now with three days to go.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries
    Images

Did you check out the stuff for sale in this blog?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++