WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mollies Ridge

Images

For me, at age 65, it was 9 hours from the start of crossing the dam to Mollies Ridge. 10.7 miles I think. That included a leisurely lunch and a short trip and 30 minute stay at Birch where I had contemplated staying. Too many flies there so I opted to continue to Mollies. I did the 5.3 from Birch to Mollies in about 3.5 hours.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LesterC View Post
    Can anyone tell me estimated time from Fontana Dam to Mollies Ridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anywhere from 4-10 hrs depending on person, load, breaks, sidetrip to shuckstack, etc.

In shape, reasonably light (25 lb) pack, and 6 hrs is not hard. If not accustomed to hiking, or carrying heavy pack, plan a full day.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-19-2015 at 11:12.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did that section in early October 2011 at age 54 carrying a 25-pound pack. There was wet snow at high elevations the night before but it dawned clear and cold (35F!) which forced me to start across the dam in my lightweight fleece, which is very unusual for me. It took me 5.5 hours to cover the 11 miles to Mollie's Ridge Shelter, including a detour to climb the firetower and a lunch behind a boulder somewhat out of the breeze until I got too cold and had to move on.

While I have osteoarthritis in my knees from decades of playing soccer and basketball, that foundational fitness level also makes it a lot easier for me to climb than most people. I actually enjoyed the climb to the firetower and never had to pause for a rest. YMMV. It's also a lot easier in cooler, less humid temps than it would be in mid-summer.

My daily mileage through the Park was limited by shelter reservations. I stayed a Mollies Ridge (11.0 miles), Derrick Knob (12.5), Mt. Collins (13.5), re-supplied at Newfound Gap through Hike Inn and moved on to Peck's Corner (14.9), Cosby Knob (12.9), Standing Bear Farm (11.0), then out at Max Patch (12.1) to complete my southern AT mileage. I had glorious weather after that brisk first day and night.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I want to say I left the Fontana Hilton at 7 or 8am and got up there by early afternoon...no later than 2pm. But keep in mind that thruhikers will have walked 160+ miles to get to that point so they will be in good shape by the time they get there. It is a climb.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Mollies Ridge

Anyone ever see "Molly"?

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Default Mollies Ridge

Anyone ever see "Mollie"?

Journal Entries
    Images

No, and I've never seen Spiderfoot either.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++