WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Smile AT2008 - KISS List

Give me a simple 2008 hiker list and a easy way to pass advice and notes to and from hikers. I hiked part of the PCT this year and I found most hikers used a Yahoo Group to stay in touch on and off the trail. It worked well and was simple. So I started a new Yahoo Group for Long Distance 2008 AT hikers. Come, join and share!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AT2008

This group is for anyone who is thinking about or planning there 2008 AT long distance hike. Share your planning, and help as many people as possible with their hike. After you start hiking, drop a note here to let friends, family and other hikers know how things are going.

Happy Trails

Images

You could also do all that right here on this site....

Panzer

Bayou
    Journal Entries

You and I know you sent this message but no other 2008 hiker knows unless they go to WB and see the message.

If you had sent this on thru the AT2008 yahoo group all members would have gotten a copy or would get a "Digest" every 24 hours, to review.

Bayou

Quote Originally Posted by roy_hiking View Post
    You and I know you sent this message but no other 2008 hiker knows unless they go to WB and see the message.

If you had sent this on thru the AT2008 yahoo group all members would have gotten a copy or would get a "Digest" every 24 hours, to review.

Bayou
    Roy,

Why reinvent the wheel? You posted this message in an appropriate forum used for the express purposes you've proposed for your Yahoo group.

I think that's what Panzer was pointing out.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by roy_hiking View Post

Bayou
    Actually, Roy, if you subscribe to this thread, you can opt to receive instant, daily, or weekly E-mails informing you that a response has been posted, which is essentially the same as the Yahoo group.

I've been a member of Yahoo groups for several years now and while they're a great informal way to communicate with a select group of people (eliminates the need to 'cc:' a bunch of your friends on long, unwieldy E-mail chains), the Yahoo Group technology leaves much to be desired. The most annoying thing is that there is often a significant delay between the time a user posts a message and the time everyone receives it. The lag is even worse if someone opts to post a message directly to the Group, as opposed to just replying to a previous post received via E-mail, therefore, making responses seem out of context.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i think the point is you will get much more traffic on here than on a yahoo group
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++