WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bards, Ballads, and Bollocks Maybe's Avatar

Do everything you can to limit what you spend. If you can minimize expenses - including discretionary spending like bars and restaurants - you'll be amazed at how fast the cash piles up. Yes, this requires sacrifice and discipline. And that's just crazy!

Couldn't agree more with Mags - your Dad is supposed to worry about you; it's his purpose in life. Even my parents are worried about me and I've been around the block several times. I would think that after a few weeks on the trail (and some calls/emails/postcards), your confidence will rub off on them and they'll be very proud.
    When one is trying to do something beyond his known powers it is useless to seek the approval of friends. Friends are at their best in moments of defeat. - Henry Miller

No no no... this is how to MAKE MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i was a gigilo once in boca raton

No no no - this is supposed to be on how to MAKE money.

Quote Originally Posted by View View Post
    No no no - this is supposed to be on how to MAKE money.
    I MADE tons of dough off the old jewish gals.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I MADE tons of dough off the old jewish gals.

eeeee....

Now there are some still shots.
    Last edited by View; 06-22-2007 at 13:33. Reason: I type like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Miu View Post
    Still working on it...my dad tells me that it's a bad idea pretty much every day. Haven't done any short hikes yet b/c I was waiting on my MacCat tarp to come in, but now that it's here I'm thinking I will go on some soon. But not this weekend, because hopefully I will be participating in a clinical research study complete with compensation up to $1700. They don't tell you the minimum $$ you'll get. Hmmm...
    When I did my first section solo, my pops was against me wandering into the woods alone. When he saw me again, he noticed the positive changes that hiking had done for me. The good thing about the AT is that you are never really alone. There is always some of us lurking within a mile or two.
    I couldnt agree more with everyone else, go on some overnighters so you can establish a routine and stay away from Boca Raton.

Lowspark, I don't think Miu's dad will be to pleased with the idea that people are "lurking" along the trail. Hiking yes, lurking, no. He has a daughter to worry about. As a parent, I can attest that from the time a baby is born, irrational thinking takes hold of us parents... forever.

Being a human guinea pig for money may have long term reprecussions. You didn't mention what you are currently doing to make money, but is there any opportunity for OT? It will make you appreciate the trail even more once you get away from doing 12+ hr. days.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better my folks freaked out about the idea of me camping the Aldo Leopold wilderness with a friend (an Eagle scout) and they were convinced that I would die.

After a while of doing some camping again and getting back into shape they realized that they shouldn't be against my outing, but support me. That and they knew that I was going whether it was with their grace or not.

Also, originally hailing from Oklahoma, I totally understand the gun thing. I think that if I was to hike the AT I would find a 1911 .45 in my pack that would have been put there with a not that said "Love, Mom and Dad"

One way that you might really be able to help ease their mind is to find someone to do the trail with and let them meet your folks, if they know that you're not going to be alone, and its going to be with someone that they have met, it will most likely put their mind to ease.

Well, my human guinea pig days may be reserved for other days b/c I didn't qualify for tomorrow's study...they needed someone with acne on their face and back.

Right now I'm saving money by not going anywhere or doing anything. I'm out of a job for the time being since I moved away from Austin and have to take one last clase de espanol this summer.

Anyone know the going rate for human souls?

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miu View Post
    Well, my human guinea pig days may be reserved for other days b/c I didn't qualify for tomorrow's study...they needed someone with acne on their face and back.

Right now I'm saving money by not going anywhere or doing anything. I'm out of a job for the time being since I moved away from Austin and have to take one last clase de espanol this summer.

Anyone know the going rate for human souls?
    You could learn to play the pan flute and hang out by the Alamo.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Lowspark, I don't think Miu's dad will be to pleased with the idea that people are "lurking" along the trail. Hiking yes, lurking, no. He has a daughter to worry about. As a parent, I can attest that from the time a baby is born, irrational thinking takes hold of us parents... forever.

Being a human guinea pig for money may have long term reprecussions. You didn't mention what you are currently doing to make money, but is there any opportunity for OT? It will make you appreciate the trail even more once you get away from doing 12+ hr. days.
    It was just a figure of speech and just trying to make a little joke of the situation. Sorry you didnt really pick up on that with the flow of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    You didn't mention what you are currently doing to make money, but is there any opportunity for OT? It will make you appreciate the trail even more once you get away from doing 12+ hr. days.

Come on now

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Or you could move back to Austin and get a cardboard sign and stand on the corner. Never mind, I don't think there are any vacant corners.

Better yet you could go to the Guadalupe and sell beer to the tubers in New Braunfels.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerTex View Post
    Or you could move back to Austin and get a cardboard sign and stand on the corner. Never mind, I don't think there are any vacant corners.
    Ain't that the truth!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus45acp View Post
    For my thru next year I am collecting cans and eating at other people's homes. Food costs too much. I eat at my parent's house fri, sat, and sun. Mon-thur I just call friends around 6pm to see "what's going on". If I can cut $20 off m weekly grocery bill then I will have almost an extra $700. Plus a couple hundred from the cans and I will have $1k extra that I wouldn't have otherwise. I am collecting cans, and everyone I know is saving them for me. I have good friends and family.
    Cerberus,

You have earned the Trail Name "Freeloader". Maybe when you are out there on the trail, you can roll into camp and say "what's going on"--that ought to save you a lot of money and un-needed weight to carry around.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.......

John Muir, September 3rd, 1873, letter to Sara Muir Galloway

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingson View Post
    Cerberus,

You have earned the Trail Name "Freeloader". Maybe when you are out there on the trail, you can roll into camp and say "what's going on"--that ought to save you a lot of money and un-needed weight to carry around.

That would save a lot of weight. Think someone would carry my water for me too? That stuff is the heaviest.

On a serious note, I don't feel bad about freeloading off my friends. They all owe me anyways. The one I freeload off the most I loaned $400 to a year ago without expectation of being repaid, built them a pool deck, taught them to drive, and helped them clean up from a cocain addiction early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    When they know that you are not exactly bushwhacking in the Alaskan wilderness, the folks tend to feel better.
    What's wrong with bushwhacking in Alaska?

On our way up the Arctic Circle on Monday we picked up a hitchiker from Poland who was going off to hike in the Brooks Range over to the Gates of the Arctic and back. I hope to get a report from on how his trip went. If I could figure out the logistics (i.e. food resupply) I would like to hike the Brooks Range across the state sometime.

As far as the worrying parents thing. My parents came out and met me while I was doing the PCT. They did some trail-angeling and met a bunch of my hiking friends. I think it really helped them understand my addiction.

Images

My mom was worried about my thru next year at first, and the best thing I did to help her relax was have her read this site. Every concern she could come up with is discussed somewhere on this site. Just reading what everyone says about the problems helped. Also just reading random threads gives her an idea of the types of people that are out there hiking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++