WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

My wife and I spent the night of December 27, 2013 at the Morgan Stewart Memorial Shelter.
    It's a small, well built shelter that looks as if 6 would fit comfortably.
    It was clean and in good repair as was the picnic table, privy, fire ring, and cooking grill.
    Since we didn't need water, we didn't checkout the water pump.
    Also, there's plenty of places to put up a tent behind the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Perfesser View Post
    I was at Morgan Stewart last Tuesday, 8/9/11 and it was a little buggy, but reasonably clean. The water source is a well about 1/8 of a mile downhill and it needs treatment - there was a sign warning of coliform bacteria - but it tasted good once we filtered it. The next shelter south was RPH at about 10 miles and it is nice, also with a well. North you will hit Telephone Pioneers shelter in about 8 miles, which has no water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    The heat wave must been rough cause it was flowing strong early July when I was there
    Unless you stay there the night a large storm comes through. By the morning it sounded like a waterfall running by the shelter. It did calm down fairly quickly, though, to allow crossing back over the water to get out.
    We had 7 (4 of us plus another man with 2 kids) and could have probably fit one more OK. Worked quite well with a tarp to cover the open side to keep the rain out (and using some then found wooden pieces under the shelter to keep the tarp secured with the wind - not quiet, but dry

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    My wife and I spent the night of December 27, 2013 at the Morgan Stewart Memorial Shelter.
    It's a small, well built shelter that looks as if 6 would fit comfortably.
    It was clean and in good repair as was the picnic table, privy, fire ring, and cooking grill.
    Since we didn't need water, we didn't checkout the water pump.
    Also, there's plenty of places to put up a tent behind the shelter.
    That night (night following the one above) we had 3 of us (the 4th tented instead) plus a man with a fairly good sized dog and still had space, so 6 shouldn't be an issue, maybe even up to 8 if you squeezed in.

Spent a rainy night nice and dry there last weekend on an out and back overnight from Pawling AT train stop. Hats off to the caretakers for all their dedication. Like this trail section, it was beautifully maintained. Even TP and duff in the privy off season. One suggestion - water pump was terrific but had trouble finding it on a dark and stormy night (take a harder left than you might think at the water sign). A little reflective tape on the pump and/or water trail blue blazes would be most welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++