WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Whom do you feel better represents the trail today?

Voters
258. This poll is closed
  • Warren Doyle

36 13.95%
  • Dan Bruce ( Wingfoot )

22 8.53%
  • Neither

200 77.52%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default better represents the trail today

Whom do you feel better represents the trail today?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Neither.

eek: NEITHER
    EZ-DOES-IT
    It's mind over matter
    If you don't mind it doesn't matter

Journal Entries
    Images

Neither.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Former Admin

Alright I added a neither option. Is there anyone you feel that should be added?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I agree, neither. I'm not sure there is anyONE person who truly represents todays trail. Unless you look at the folks who are routinely on this site. WE represent the trail. We think it, hike it (regularly), some are RECENT thrus, we discuss it, work at getting there, get educated and informed... HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

I think that the thousands of Section Hikers that go back to the Trail, year after year, until they finsh, represent the Trail the best. They are the vast majority of our AT Hikers. Do you know how hard it is to go back to each section, out of shape and having to go through the beginning aches and pains each time? Just ask one.
    Singletrack

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

the trail isnt just limited to one person. the trail is forever. people come people go but the trail is constant the best representation it has is from all those who have gained anything, even somthing small from the trail. we all represent the trail equaly because weve all gained experiance through it and weve all become better for it.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

I really don't think that any one individual can best represent the trail, least of all Warren Doyle. I don't mean to slam him, because I have met him, and spent some time with him. He has his way of doing things and that's his perogative. But, he typically does the trail in about 14 weeks, and has done it now 13 times or so. He has caused a lot of controversy (and some very hard feelings) at ALDHA.

To quote the music of Takoma Ted: "The people are the trail." So, I'd say that the thru-hikng community best represents the trail. But, more than that, it's probably the section hikers that truely represent the trail, because they are ones that use it the most. As Dave Field says, thru-hikers are a "critical minority."

Images

I am very uncomfortable with ANY issues involving personalities or "popularity contests" here. It doesn't matter who, or why. They're a mistake, and divisive.

Both of these men have made fine contributions to the trail and, to my knowledge, neither has done so out of a sense of competition with each other or anyone else.

This poll should, I think, be closed.

Just my opinion.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Default I concur

Weasel: Good Point, well said, and thank you. I'll go further, and suggest that it be deleted. It has no place in this forum.

But these two individuals are just 2 of the many fine people out there who make the trail what it is today.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Let it stay

Originally posted by The Weasel

Both of these men have made fine contributions to the trail and, to my knowledge, neither has done so out of a sense of competition with each other or anyone else.

This poll should, I think, be closed.
    It is not divisive. It is only an opinion, which, in the final analysis, is what each and every post on this forum really is. If it is not an important one to most, then the thread will languish into obscurity somewhere at the end of the forum.

Anyway, HH said it best "WE [you]represent the trail. We think it, hike it (regularly), some are RECENT thrus, we discuss it, work at getting there, get educated and informed... HH

I have not been there but I can feel the reverence each of you have for it. YOU are the AT, like it or not! Maybe I can join that illustrious group after I have done some of it!

Thumbs up

WARD LEONARD FOR TRAIL PRESIDENT! My buddy. My hero. Hiking God

Images

Sounds like something a "hobo" would say.

Will second what Lone Wolf said. Ward might not be wrapped too tight, but he's the most impressive hiker I ever met.

Images

I am not familiar with Ward Leonard....what's the deal??

Ward Leonard is something of a trail legend. He was a fixture for several years there. Just about every thru-hiker seemed to meet him at one point or another as he walked up and down the trail. He set an unofficial speed record in the 80's for a completely self-contained hike (no support vehicles, carrying all his own food and water, resupplying in towns etc.) He also did a double yo-yo once, hiking NB, then turning around at Katahdin and heading south, then turning around north again. He was a very hardy hiker.

Ward is not seen so much in recent years as age has slowed him down a great deal, he's got to be approaching 50 now and he probably cannot handle the 20-30 mile days as easily as he used to. Anecdotes of Ward encounters are also fewer than before.

As far as Ward Leonard's mental state, suffice it to say that he's bizarre, sometimes alarming, but mostly harmless. I've met him a number of times without any trouble, other than trying to extricate myself from bizarre and nonsensical conversations.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
    WARD LEONARD FOR TRAIL PRESIDENT! My buddy. My hero. Hiking God

I thought eddie abbey was god
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

The AT is special because all of its users have an intensely personal experience on it that needs no comparison to any other. Nevertheless, the AT community is large enough and old enough to have its own celebrities and to have a forum like this; and forums like this are natural places for celebrities to be examined.

Just as in other communities, there are many AT celebrities who have recused themselves from negative public opinion by recusing their neative opinions from the public. The two celebrities in this poll are not examples of such recused.

I do not think it is inappropriate to have a poll that matches the popularities of two AT celebrities so forward in the eyes of the AT community as these two are.

Images

My vote for the person that truly represents the the real spirit of the trail is Bob Peoples. Bob is the most unassuming man I have met on the trail and does the most with the least grandstanding. He's a legend in my mind and if you don't know who he is or what he does then get yourself to NE TN and find out. I think even Jack will agree with me on this!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++