WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Somewhere between Monroe NC and Dinwiddie VA

I thought Val Kilmer was Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBob View Post
    I thought Val Kilmer was Iceman
    Nope. He's Batman
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Somewhere between Monroe NC and Dinwiddie VA

Quote Originally Posted by Chache View Post
    Nope. He's Batman
    But he was Iceman 1st in "Top Gun"

Images

I was not the first Chef and Im sure I will not be the last.

your welcome to use my name

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    your welcome to use my name
    That would be cheating.

Images

Default I honestly feel bad for the other Blister Sisters....

I got my trail name in 96 on the PCT the same year a Blister Sister shadowed me on the AT. In 97 we met, it was great to have such a thing in common (I believe I apologized to her then in the case we were ever to be confused with one another) then came The Blister Sister's who later changed I believe to the Barefoot Sisters. Still to this day I know my own personal reputation must scar them occassionally. Have they ever been replied to with the following "OOOhhh, so you're Blister Sister!!!!"
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Images

Mmmm, yes, but it does give all the Blister Sisters a plausible alibi should the local constabulary notice any deviations from socially or legally acceptable behaviour.

"No, officer, honestly, it was that OTHER Blister Sister!"

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I've been Lone Wolf since 1987. There have been quite a few since then. You need to get a name like Wingfoot.
    Why would you want a name like that.

Images

Default Thanks for the humor and feedback

First of all Top Gun stole my name after hearing of my winter escapades in the White Mountains in 1986. Actually I signed a release allowing them to use the name in the 1987 movie that was made a year after I became famous. My name was based on a character in a play by Eugene O'Neill that was written in 1939, published in 1940, and hit Broadway in 1946. It was made into a TV movie in 1960 but hit the big screen many years later.

The REAL Iceman (me) is at Bear's Den and the imposter appears to have melted in to thin air or changed his name yet again.

For those of you north of here, the Iceman Still Cometh.

BTW - I have not seen any 5'2" eldery and arrogant hikers on the trail but there are a ton of entries from Winfoot.

Lone Wolf - Had a beer with you at the Baja but could not stay for golf, sorry.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

I'd be interested in knowing why people feel that use of an identical name is "stealing", at least when there is no attempt to pass oneself off as the other person. I'm not saying it isn't stealing; I'd like to know why people think it might be. For instance, "Iceman" says he took the name from the O'Neill play; most of us would agree that doing so wasn't "stealing." Did the Kilmer character in Top Gun - "Iceman" - steal that name from "our" Iceman? Maybe not. But if there are a couple of "Iceman" users on the AT, does priority-of-use sort of have a copyright to it? Or is coincidence sort of a defense. If it isn't, well, if someone named their kid after a famous person - say, George Washington - is that "stealing"? Or are G.W. Carver's parents safe from criticism.

Yeah, I know, not a lot of people going to want to be known as "The Weasel", but what about the rest of the names: How is that "stealing"? Or isn't it?

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

seems to me that if some one steals something from you, you no longer have pocession or use of it, like if some one steals your water filter,,,you no longer have it , they do, U no longer get to use it, they get to use it,

so if someone else has the same trail name and U both get to use it,,nothing is stolen.

that being said,,,I doubt there is anyone wanting to "steal" smokymtnsteve name.

but what about alternative spellings,,liek Da Weasel, or smokiemtsteve,

would tht count,,,

I do know of the exsistance of a feller named Rockymtnsteve.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Well, Steve, "identify theft" is somewhat similar to what I think people are describing here.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

There were two Iceman's when I was on in 1995, but the first one fell off. I also had a cool logo that I signed with.

Figure out a way to distinguish yourself in the shelter registers and such.

I ran into a Lone Wolf at Madison Springs Hut in early September of my thru-hike who was not our own esteemed Lone Wolf.

I received my trailname honorably from my fellow hikers, and only discovered another hiker was already using it after it had taken.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

I also was called by just "Iceman" in 1995 and added the AT95 after the fact simply for online ID purposes to distinguish myself from other "Iceman"s who cropped up online each year.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

19K3P4A82A

How about "The hiker formerly known as Iceman"?

[QUOTE=L. Wolf;366635]I've been Lone Wolf since 1987. There have been quite a few since then. You need to get a name like Wingfoot.[/QUOT :::::::::::::::::::::: We all know that there is only one Lone Wolf!!!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

[quote=mrc237;374136]
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I've been Lone Wolf since 1987. There have been quite a few since then. You need to get a name like Wingfoot.[/QUOT :::::::::::::::::::::: We all know that there is only one Lone Wolf!!!
    Actually, it appears that there is at least one other "Lone Wolf" (lonewolf02) registered here on Whiteblaze.

The Weasel

Try pronouncing it the way we called the iceman in Brooklyn when I was a kid "Ice-a-man"
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

I can't imagine anyone actually tryin to steal someone elses Tail name! .................................................. ...... .................................................. ......nevermind .................................................. .......LETITBE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++