WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

last year there was a hiker claiming to be wingfoot, writing 'comical' entries in the registers
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

last year there was a hiker claiming to be wingfoot, writing 'comical' entries in the registers

Wingfoot talked about that on his website. Said he never identifies himself on the trail...which shouldn't be a problem since he hasn't been on the trail for 10+ years.

Images

What an Ice hole. I can't believe someone would have the guts to steal your name. Sounds like a serious case of identity theft to me. Have you run a credit report lately. He could be racking up hostel charges in your name. I would be on the next bus and leap frog my way up to kick his Ice. The nerve of some people.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.......

John Muir, September 3rd, 1873, letter to Sara Muir Galloway

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I've met a guy who goes by Iceman Dan. Met him at Standing Bear Farm and Miss Janet's in Mid March. Is that the guy you're talking about?
    I'm pretty sure that's a different fellow. He's been going by Iceman Dan since he hit trail this season.

Don't know him, but his family's super nice. His mom loaned me a car in Knoxville last fall. I was hitchhiking through, trying to get home, and the way she treated me I started wondering if I'd accidentally gotten back on trail somehow.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Richard Kuklinski of New Jersey is the only true Iceman. All you wannabe Icemen need to "take a hike".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kuklinski

Quote Originally Posted by the_iceman View Post
    Iceman (The Original Since 1986) is in Pearisburg, VA and distressed to suddenly find an imposter appearing in the shelter logs as Iceman. It turns out someone named Caveman realized he had taken another hiker's name so he changed his name to Iceman (my trail name since 1986). This guy is about 2 -3 weeks ahead of me and has just started using my name. If anyone sees him please tell him to keep looking for a new name.

So for the record I started on April 5th and am known by my red, white, and blue American Flag do-rag. I know Andrew used Iceman in 1995 and is here on Whitebalze as IcemanAT95 which is cool but 2 Icemans on the trail at the same time???
    Here's a thought, do something truly noteworthy so you'll forever be known as the Iceman who-------, not that other turdbird who called himself Iceman.

Long trail name, but unique.

Unconfirmed Section Hiker!!! Touch of Grey's Avatar

Well I have been watching this with interest. Here are some of my observations.

1) Get over it!
    2) The trail, as you should know from having already having hiked it once ,determines who you are not your name.

I would say that either you forgot these things from your first hike or never learned them.

TOG

(Use my name if you want I really do not care one way or the other.)

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Grey View Post
    (Use my name if you want I really do not care one way or the other.)
    I don`t know..I`d be worried about the Grateful Dead suing me
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I've been Lone Wolf since 1987. There have been quite a few since then. You need to get a name like Wingfoot.
    FINALLY!!!! The solution to people needing a trailname when someone steals theirs!! BECOME A WINGFOOT!! Dozens of Wingfoots (Wingfeet?) on the AT, on other trails, blue blazes, yellow blazes, hellfire blazes and just general blazing blazes!!!! No one can be mad at a gazillion Wingfeets (or whatever), and all of them combined will have every admirable trait possible!

Thanks, Wolf! Great idea. Love it.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the_iceman View Post
    Iceman (The Original Since 1986) is in Pearisburg, VA and distressed to suddenly find an imposter appearing in the shelter logs as Iceman. It turns out someone named Caveman realized he had taken another hiker's name so he changed his name to Iceman (my trail name since 1986). This guy is about 2 -3 weeks ahead of me and has just started using my name. If anyone sees him please tell him to keep looking for a new name.

So for the record I started on April 5th and am known by my red, white, and blue American Flag do-rag. I know Andrew used Iceman in 1995 and is here on Whitebalze as IcemanAT95 which is cool but 2 Icemans on the trail at the same time???
    Well, your name here ("the Iceman" with the "t" in "the" not capitalized) is different from being "Iceman," which is what you say this other dude (small "d") calls hisself. So are you "THE Iceman" or just "an" Iceman like him?

The [always "The"...never "A"] Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    Richard Kuklinski of New Jersey is the only true Iceman. All you wannabe Icemen need to "take a hike".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Kuklinski
    The real Iceman is Jerry Butler. All us old guys know that!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Default Naaaaahhh

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    The real Iceman is Jerry Butler. All us old guys know that!

The REAL Iceman was Albert Collins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Collins

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I met the other Iceman and stayed with him in a few shelters. From CT. Nice guy. Anyway, aren't you THE Iceman. So that's different. And this Iceman plans to get off for the summer and back on in the fall. SO you'll get a break that way.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    The REAL Iceman was Albert Collins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Collins
    Jerry Butler had only one nickname, not many like blues great Albert Collins. I think I'll get back to watching the race.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Smile Found...and lost!

I found your trailname by the side of the trail, but it melted before I could mail it back to you...global warming, you know....

Tell the truth,Iceman,didn't you really steal that name
    from Val Kilmer after "TOPGUN" came out in 1987?
    Oldfivetango(now that's a unique moniker)
    Keep on keeping on.

Interesting observation, Oldfivetango… Got me thinking…So I Googled “Iceman” and got something over 4 million hits. Like the frozen mummy found in 1991 in the Ötztal Alps, (who evidently died there in about 3300 BC, and who is now reported to have been MURDERED!) Check it out…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi_the_Iceman

Or in the comics…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceman_%28comics%29

A notorious mass murderer…
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...linski2/1.html

A legendary sports figure…
    http://www.wvu.edu/~physed/blacksports/fall2002/georgegervin.htm

And, absolutely one of my favorites for all you Seabiscuit fans… George Woolf. (Hmmm… His trail name could have been Lone Woolf!)
    http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=6304&aid=19

The list goes on and on… Once you start looking, Iceman is everywhere!

BTW… How did that other guy get the name “Iceman” anyway? Perhaps he just gave it to himself. Perhaps he showed up at a shelter with a case of Bud “Ice” and he got ‘hung’ with it. So, to his trail buds (oops) he’ll be Iceman. To yours and those who visit Whiteblaze, Iceman, you’ll be Iceman.

I just hope you’re not wearing the same hiking outfits when you finally meet. Whoa! And if you get the opportunity to hike together, other hikers will refer to you both as “Icemen.”

Personally speaking, I think thru-hikers should change their trail names about as often as they change their underwear. Really keep ‘em guessing!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

You could fight with this guy over the name http://www.icemanmma.com/
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thickredhair View Post
    I remember this.. according to the entry, there was a Wingfoot sponsored happy endings massage circle at Baxter State Park, no girls allowed....

I think this whole trail name originality thing is stupid.. of course there are going to be 10,000 Iceman's, and if you ask me, there is only one true iceman, and thats Val Kilmer.... Top Gun....

I was named on the trail, and it fits, and there are others with the same name.. who cares??? I think Iceman, and many other posters to this thread are missing the point of trail names..

-El Duderino
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

just change your name to maverick and he can be your wingman, anytime

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++