WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Severed my quadricep tendon, completely off the kneecap, in April, '04, at age 50. Surgery and four months in a heel-to-crotch Bledsoe brace. Then, six months of P/T. From there, on my own, I ran steps and hills and lifted weights. I was able to hike, very carefully, on easy terrain about six months after the injury, but it took me a year and a half to get back to equal strength with my good quad. I'll never have the last 2 or 3 degrees of flexion and extension in the knee, but that presents no functional problems. After a year and a half, I considered myself fully recovered, and I've been hiking pain free since then.

What I took away from the whole miserable experience was (1) don't rush things, (2) follow your P.T.'s program religiously (p/t many days hurt worse than the original injury, and you'll be tempted to blow off a few sessions), and (3) continue to rehab on your own when p/t is done. And they aren't kidding when they say a positive mental attitude makes a huge difference.

And, you're young. See you out there soon.
    Last edited by c.coyle; 05-22-2007 at 12:28. Reason: clarity

I'm currently recovering from two diskectomies and subsequent nerve damage, with pain management starting in a week...just want to thank all of you for posting your advice.1pint, you'll be kicking ass in little to no time, my kid brother had surgery very similar to yours,and less than a year later he is relatively normal.(and he walks fine too!) I'm limited in my pt options, have a shoulder injury that rules out much hydro, so i've gone awol and am working to my own routine of long dog walks and standing/walking as much as often.anyway, i want to say i enjoy hearing about others recoveries,kinda makes you appreciate your "vehicle" yeah?
    DamnMuscher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++