WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Trailname: TBD
    Direction: NOBO
    Start: March '08 - assuming things fall into place
    Approach trail: TBD

...considering hiking GA this year and going from NC-> ME in '08

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tekiechick View Post
    Trailname: TBD
    Start: March '08 - assuming things fall into place
    Approach trail: TBD

...considering hiking GA this year and going from NC-> ME in '08

Hey, saw on your trailjournal that you might do GA this June. I'll be doing my shake down hike from Ga-Fontana Dam from June 2-18. Might see you out there.

Images

Well, I don't know how much prep is necessary. I am not saying to just grab your sleeping bag and a sandwich and hit the trail, but a lot of hype is put into planning, and I suppose that if you were without a support person or group helping it would be a bit harder, but... Two guys from North GA just finished an end-to-end thru hike without much along the lines of preperation. They just went. They started on (frozen) Feb 3rd at Springer and ended May 11th at Katahdin which was also frozen. There were very few days that they did not see ice of some variety - but they made it easily with very little along the lines of bouncing supplies etc. They carried cell phones, MP3 players, digital cameras - one even carried a guitar for over 1000 miles. All of which is supposed to be too much. They hitched into towns (which, judging from your pictures WON'T be a problem for you) to resupply at least once a week except through the Smokies - 10 days in a big snowstorm.
    My advice from that is; Be prepared for anything - get the companion book and READ AHEAD to plan your supply stops, visit the towns, and enjoy the trip - don't listen to the nay-sayers. It is not easy, but it can be done - even without the months of prep work "if" you have moderate backpacking experience, you know what works and what you are comfortable carrying. My guys were routinely turning 30 mile days after the first 3 weeks on the trail. Don't fail to plan, just don't over stress it. You can always take a few days off at any of the towns along the way. IT was correctly coined that finishing is 99% attitude.

Images

Trail name: Peanut
    Starting date: Mid-Marchish, give or take
    Approach Trail: Yuppers

See you out there!

gatorhiker

Trail Name: Gator
    Direction: Start-Approach Trail:Amicalola Falls, Ga.
    Start Date: last week of March 08

Right now, I am in the logistics planning stage. Was hiking some of the Florida Trails untill the fires through ou this state (my home- Jacksonville, Fl.). Retired in Feb of 07. Right now I am 195 lbs which is still heavy for my height (6'-0"), I want to get down to around 170 before I attempt thru hike. I walk 15 miles per day with 35lb pack and a 3lb ankle wt on each ankle. My friends say I am frigging crazy for doing this, but I really don't care what they think. At my age (63) as I look back I have always been commited to job, employees, etc. and putting food on the table with a roof above my family's head, kinda always ignored me, myself and I..........as well as my spiritual self. I am changing my past thought patterns and from hiking some of the trails here in Fl and the Okeefenokee area I have become more focused on my physical self and which has led me more and more towards my spiritual self. After having visited the Smoky Mountains many, many times in my past, I have always had it in the back of my mind----"Dang, I've got to hike this entire A.T.!".

The time has come for me to live out my goal and my dream.....the last few months I think about it all wakened hours and minutes and I even dream about it.

I'm so pumped..........I'm gonna put on the weighted vest and ankle wts and put in another 3+ miles this evening (already put in 15.5)........
    again, I really don't care what my friends think........

OLIVER WENDEL HOLMES......once said......"It's not where you are in life that is important, but instead, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO REALIZE THE DIRECTION YOU HEADING INTO."

No trail name yet, just Robert from Corpus

NOBO

Mid March - April 1st

Not planning on doing the approach trail

Start mid march, approach trail- yes. Can hardly contain myself and still 10 months to go...

I've been walking six to eight miles a day getting into shape for next year. Found my first blisters yesterday. Ran to the store and bought my bandage and moleskin. Then lovinging rapped my toes so I could walk again today. "Isn't life good."

Default excited

i am 32 years old and will be medically retired from the army which i have served the last 11 years of my life. I am a type -1 diabetic and will be hitting the trail in mrch some time. Im thinking a few days after st. patty day, which i will hopefully be spending over seas again. I am open to any and all advice. I am especially looking for other Diabetics who have thru hiked and their advice and experiences on the trail. thank you.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." Gen. George S. Patton

:banana

Miss Graceful
    NOBO
    March 15th ish or somewhere close to that
    Leaving from Springer

Was supposed to be Class of '07, but life got in the way. I can't wait to head back out there again. Lots o folks think I'm a bit bonkers fro starting over completely (I have a few hundred miles under my belt from this year's attempt.) But HYOH, right??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Graceful View Post
    Miss Graceful
    NOBO
    March 15th ish or somewhere close to that
    Leaving from Springer

Was supposed to be Class of '07, but life got in the way. I can't wait to head back out there again. Lots o folks think I'm a bit bonkers fro starting over completely (I have a few hundred miles under my belt from this year's attempt.) But HYOH, right??
    So even though you got a few hundred miles into the hike last year, you will still be starting at Springer? Is that so you have a solid thru hike in one year? I would do the same thing. You may not get another chance to do another hike, so do it to your liking the first time. No regrets.

Yeah, that's my plan as well. Did about 500 miles in '06, but liked that first quarter enough to want to hike it a second time. Gluttens for punishment, I suppose.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Question

where are the southbounders for 2008????

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by gatorhiker View Post
    Trail Name: Gator
    Your Trail Journals link is busted.
    Frosty

Trail Name : TBD
    NOBO
    Starting March 19-21
    Approach Trail
    I was actually all set to do the this hike in the Spring of 1982 but a major orthopaedic injury prevented that from happening. Twenty- six years later I'm going to give it another try.
    It is my intention to hike up Katahdin and rather than heed tradition and returning via the AT or Abol Slide Trail I was planning on doing Knife Edge and the hiking down into Chimney Pond then out via Roaring Brook Trail.
    I've done enough four season hiking not to be under any illussions about what I am getting myself into so barring an major injury I should be able to complete this trek.
    During the next ten months I need to get myself into serious hiking shape while paradoxically remaining twenty five pounds overweight.
    Fat & fit -the new reality.
    I think that having this forum is great and thanks to all who are participating in it.

stuck in time

hello, i'm josiah, or josi, either works. graduating from UK (finally) in december. so here is the standard boiler plate:

TN: i'll let you decide
    NOBO
    MARCH 1, 2008, dawn, springer
    Approach Feb 29, 2008

see you there!
    ~josi

"oh child of countless dreams"

Images

Default Florida Trails Next

I thruhiked the AT in 06 and now im itchin' , I think im leaving Jan 1 or shortly there after to do as much of the florida trail while im laid off work this coming winter. Just happens to be the best time to hike in FL. If anybody is interested shoot me a line. Im going for 2-3 months.
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

Trail name: TBD
    NoBo
    Starting March 8th, on me and my husband's 5th year anniversary!
    Doing the approach trail

We were planing on going this year, but as they say, life got in the way. Its all or bust now!! 10 months to prepare and work our butts off!

Hope to see you all out there!
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

No Trail name
    NOBO
    Late March - April 1st
    Not planning on doing the approach trail but this may change.

:banana 2008 Thru hikers

NOBO- alone
    Trail name: Bear Bait
    Mid March
    Approach trail

I'm coming from No. VA. so I'll take Amtrak to Gainesville, GA and then have the Hiker Hostel pick me up, feed me and bring me to Springer in the AM.
    I have hiked 10-15 miles a day, twice a week for over a year now, sometimes even 20-30 miles with a 30 lb pack. On top of 5 days a week at the gym and two IronMan qualifiers. I'm more than ready and can't possibly be more of a fanatic at this point. I live and dream about this thing night and day. I think I need help...

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++