WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

OK the question is still being asked. Your point is that posters today don't notice the OP date. So?
    Move on.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

As much as I hate shopping at Wal-Mart, they had underarmor type Ploy shirts for $6.....

Don't forget Costco. I bought some nice base layers for $17 each this winter.

SOBO 09 or 10

Just recv 'd my NEW IN BOX ebay New Balance country walking shoes -- $40 inclulding shipping -- and checked prices online: $90-110, and, these are in my hard-to-find size and width. I find good things at walmart and thrift stores (inexpensive, meet my needs) but it is a blessing to be able to find name brand, more specialized items in new or like new condition online. Also picked up a micro petzl for my 10 essentials: $6. Good buys are out there if you are willing to do the foot work or online research.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sjones503 View Post
    As much as I hate shopping at Wal-Mart, they had underarmor type Ploy shirts for $6.....
    Well stop going there! kidding I find a good score there occasionally and I am not going to read this old thread... Last week while in Detroit I saw an Army Surplus store and told the wife to turn around - being a chilly weekend I scored a Awacs Military Fleece jacket that works with my Gore Tex XCR overcoat and they zip together. Instead of a North Face at $180 I got this excellent jacket at $50! YEA!

http://www.acuarmy.com/army-acu-gene...l5HTMaQKvw_wcB
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    My experience is that if you use thrift shops that are close to very upscale neighborhoods you can find all sorts of upscale gear and clothing that would never appear in less well to do areas
    Yes I agree Deanna wanted to sell some of my suits at consignment shops in Germantown Philadelphia - while dropping off I saw Northface and Columbia there for men.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Rummage sales which are mostly in the spring and fall area a great place to buy many of the supplies needed for backpacking. Last week I found a 269.00 EMS ultralight backpacking tent for 4.00 it was in new condition and didn't even look like it was used. I buy my t shirts at Olympia sports . The under Armour shirts dry fast and do a great job at mois ture wicking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yes I agree Deanna wanted to sell some of my suits at consignment shops in Germantown Philadelphia - while dropping off I saw Northface and Columbia there for men.
    You could just keep the suit pants if they're wool. A lot of nice suits are.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Yep. No Patagonia T shirts for me. I can go to a big box store and purchase a nylon type T shirt for sometimes less than $10. On the thru hike when it gets bad I just ditch it and purchase a new one.
    -Wavey

Army surplus stores... cheap durable equipment, although not the lightest

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    My Mother always told me, "never say cheap." You should say inexpensive.
    ...or, "conservative".

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I have bought a few hiking shirts[synthetic] at Goodwill and at yard sales for less than $5 each

Back when I was working with a college outdoor program I always encouraged my students to visit the local Salvation Army store. Being a college town it was amazing what could be found there for under $10.00! Patagonia, North Face, LL Bean, etc. were all hanging on the various racks in a multitude of sizes. Something for everyone. And, if you were really strapped for cash, you could go on Tuesday when everything was half price...what a deal!!!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thank you! This is great advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++