WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My experience is that if you use thrift shops that are close to very upscale neighborhoods you can find all sorts of upscale gear and clothing that would never appear in less well to do areas

Images

When a ladies who have never hiked before join my (women only) hiking group, and they aren't sure they're going to like it, I tell them not to spend a bunch of money on clothing. I tell them to go to TJMaxx, Ross', Target, Wal-Mart and check the "Active" clothing racks. They can find an abundance of non-cotton shirts, shorts, pants, sports bras for a fraction of the price of the sporting goods stores and places like REI, etc. My camp clothes - a poly long sleeved top and nylon yoga pants - came from TJMaxx. I have some Nike "Dri-Fit" shirts that I got at Ross' for $12 on the same day I had seen them at Sports Authority (exact colors and styles) for $36. I do buy my hiking zip-off pants at REI because they have their Sahara brand in Petites and that's extremely difficult to find. My very favorite SmartWool long sleeved 1/4 zip top came from Marshall's for $19. It had a retail price tag of $89 still on it. I once saw a $200 Marmont down sweater in Marshall's for $80. I already had one so I didn't buy it, but wow was I tempted.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    When a ladies who have never hiked before join my (women only) hiking group, and they aren't sure they're going to like it, I tell them not to spend a bunch of money on clothing. I tell them to go to TJMaxx, Ross', Target, Wal-Mart and check the "Active" clothing racks. They can find an abundance of non-cotton shirts, shorts, pants, sports bras for a fraction of the price of the sporting goods stores and places like REI, etc. My camp clothes - a poly long sleeved top and nylon yoga pants - came from TJMaxx. I have some Nike "Dri-Fit" shirts that I got at Ross' for $12 on the same day I had seen them at Sports Authority (exact colors and styles) for $36. I do buy my hiking zip-off pants at REI because they have their Sahara brand in Petites and that's extremely difficult to find. My very favorite SmartWool long sleeved 1/4 zip top came from Marshall's for $19. It had a retail price tag of $89 still on it. I once saw a $200 Marmont down sweater in Marshall's for $80. I already had one so I didn't buy it, but wow was I tempted.
    Good advice Mrs. now where do I sign up?

Images

Agreed on the walmart stuff. Synthetic workout wear is becoming so popular. I got a 10$ Columbia shirt that I would have paid 25-35$ for at REI. Same thing with underwear. 10$ a pair instead of 20$+ for stretchy synthetic boxer briefs. I found a great packable champion rain shell type hooded jacket at target for $30. The rain just beads up and falls off. I think it was a closeout, they only had a few left.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

I have 3 pairs of convertible pants in like new condition, one of them Columbia. I've managed to find zip offs for both my sons as well. All of them came from thrift stores at an average cost of about $4 each. I have an REI (free with a broken zipper that I was able to repair at no cost) and a Columbia fleece jacket ($9) from thrift stores also, both with much thicker fleece than the bargain store brand jacket I have. I also picked up a 2 liter Platypus hydration bladder with hose for 85 cents. I use Champion and Starter lightweight athletic shirts from Target and Walmart, $8-$12 each. When you have a family of 4 to keep on the trail, you gotta be creative and look for deals.

I purchased a Nike micro fleece jacket for a lightweight insulating layer. It is marketed to golfers but is about half the weight of a Patagonia fleece jacket and is warmer. It's 100% synthetic and dries faster than my Patagonia jacket.

Hike naked...

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I purchased a Nike micro fleece jacket for a lightweight insulating layer. It is marketed to golfers but is about half the weight of a Patagonia fleece jacket and is warmer. It's 100% synthetic and dries faster than my Patagonia jacket.
    I Love multi use garments, like my bowling shoes when my trail runners are wet and drying. Throw on some nickers,and a tweed hat, and I look like john Muir.

Found these on the Cabela's site http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...5065&WTz_l=CQO They're synthetic t-shirts. They're new so they're on sale for $8.88. I was skeptical at that price so I ordered 1 to see if I like it. It's actually really nice, so I bought 10 more. Got the first one in black at it's really nice. No more spending $50 a t-shirt anymore for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saprogenic View Post
    Found these on the Cabela's site http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...5065&WTz_l=CQO They're synthetic t-shirts. They're new so they're on sale for $8.88. I was skeptical at that price so I ordered 1 to see if I like it. It's actually really nice, so I bought 10 more. Got the first one in black at it's really nice. No more spending $50 a t-shirt anymore for me.
    Yep, good find for just knocking around shirts, if they get to grungy, rag em I guess. I too have a couple, (what I'd call expensive) shirts and they are nice, but just can't afford (don't want to) replace when there done, thanks for posting your find.

This year on the PCT I wore Target's Champion brand golf pants that cost $30. And I liked them so much, I bought another pair when the first wore out! (after 1,000 miles) The material is super thin, and they dry incredibly fast. They don't zip off, but those zip off pants look dorky anyway. They have my highest recommendation for hiking pants! My only complaint is that they stain and get dirty very easily, but hey you're a hiker, who cares how dirty you are

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champi...s/-/A-14148908

I had the khaki colored pair.

I've scored my best deals at thrift and consignment outdoor stores around high end areas like Seattle, Portland, Park City and many areas in CO(Aspen, Silverthorne, Denver,etc). Also, try small/med outdoor shops that have to turn over summer inventory merchandise, like hiking and running gear, to winter merchandise like skiing, snowboarding, etc gear. I've snagged some high end gear this way at more than 1/2 off retail at several Denver Outdoor stores this way. It doesn't hurt to know the manager's at these stores either and letting store personnel aware how much other money you spend at these businesses. Ebay, of course is another outlet. I've seen some shweet WM bags on sale there for more than 1/3 off the retail. Sierra Trading Post is a good site for deals too on discontinued, limited quantity, limited sizes, etc.

One thing I have a hard time justifying is paying ridiculously high prices for synthetic pieces made out of polyester or recycled plastic which is what most fleece and polyester tees and long sleeves are. It's ridiculous to pay $30-40 for a high end BIG name outdoors brand polyester shirt because one is hung up with a BIG name logo on their clothing when you can SOMETIMES get almost like performance from a $4 polyester tee from Wally World or at a thrift store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    One thing I have a hard time justifying is paying ridiculously high prices for synthetic pieces made out of polyester or recycled plastic which is what most fleece and polyester tees and long sleeves are. It's ridiculous to pay $30-40 for a high end BIG name outdoors brand polyester shirt because one is hung up with a BIG name logo on their clothing when you can SOMETIMES get almost like performance from a $4 polyester tee from Wally World or at a thrift store.
    I completely agree, Wally world poly is still poly!

Images

Yard sales if, your flexible

there is always a local bazaar around here, mostly baby items and hunting gear though

As much as I hate to say it, Wal-Mart just out new wicking shortless shirts for $12.... I hate Wal-Mate, but hte grands wanted the movie Frozen!

Great question: I would look at Campmor and REI-Outlet for really good sales on inexpensive, yet well made clothes and hiking gear. Good luck to you!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by sjones503 View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, Wal-Mart just out new wicking shortless shirts for $12.... I hate Wal-Mate, but hte grands wanted the movie Frozen!
    OK, aren't all shirts shortless?

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I don't know what to say the original poser died as a member years ago. Seriously get what you can afford and move on folks..You can get Polypro at walmat and better dealers, Just remember to layer.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++