WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Resting can only help.Many times what we have are micro tears,that can be cumulative in the tendons...also see tendinosis.

Journal Entries
    Images

The problem is overuse of the posterior muscles of your legs. As humans, we naturally tend to over use them just by standing uprigth. As the calf muscles (gastrocs and soleus) over strengthen either through extended standing (like factory workers), extended walking (like the AT), or running, They bunch up and pull on all of the structures south and eventually north of them. So, in order, you get Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, and then shin splints. The cures to overuse are many. First is rest. And that includes a splint you wear at night that keeps your foot at 90 degrees throughout the night. Second includes stretching the calf muscles to compenate for their over development. Third includes strengthening the opposing muscle on the front of the lower leg. Most simple are raising sand bags with your toes or even paint cans. Ice helps since applying heat is like putting gasoline on a fire. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and aleve help too since they are anti-pain and anti-inflammatory. But the conclusive cures are the other things.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Yes. Last year I was thinking about hiking. Did a test hike for about 8 days, and pushed myself far too much each day. About three days after I got home, my Achilles tendon turned to stone, and hurt very bad when I tried to move my foot at all. After a few weeks of limping, and months of being sore, it was back to normal.

Never went to a doctor or anything, because it felt like it was getting better each day. And just being in the same room as a doctor for 2 minutes costs $100, so I don't know what it was.

Going to try again this March, I think. I'll be super lazy and slow this time around, until I'm sure my feet can take it. (But that reminds me why I logged in today, off to make a thread about water filters!).

I'm resting it up but got a little silly and walked too much. gotta stop pushing it. even though its crap its happened now, if it makes me take things easy its better

I've had chronic Achilles tendon issues for a few years. One thing I've found helpful (although ridiculous looking) is the strassburg sock (sold lots of places including Amazon). check out www.thesock.com If I wear it for 30 minutes in the evening, I'm good to hike the next AM. For hiking, I like it since I can wear it when kicking around the shelter in the PM. And it weighs nothing. Other devices (lifts, inserts) haven't worked that well for me, as I find they create another problem in another part of my lower leg by simply shifting pain to another location. The sock seems to help by fixing the problem...giving my Achilles tendon a bit more length.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++