WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default packs and tents and kids sleeping bags

I am looking for some information regarding tents and packs. While doing a search for recommendations on this site I see a lot of information on the Granite gear and ULA packs and GoLite. The problem is that I live in Australia and can't seem to find anyone who stocks these. I have found hikelite.com.au but there doesn't seem to be store where we can go try these packs out.

So my questions are:
    What sort of pack weight should we be looking at? Not "full pack ready to go" weight but the weight of the empty pack? what sort of material should we be looking at? Is it really advisable to buy a pack online? Seems a bit crazy to me to buy one without trying it on.

tents: recommendation for a lightweight 3 man tent? Untill our daughter is old enough to spend the 6 months with her grandparents in the US (or I am old enough to be apart from her for 6 months) she will be coming with us on our bushwalks. She is only 6 so it will be a few years yet till the AT. So we need a lightweight 3 person tent to fit us all!

kids sleeping bags: is there anyone out there that makes a childs DOWN bag? I can find synthetic bags anywhere but I was hoping to compare them to a down bag.

Thanks again!
    cheers,
    eeyore

Default bags and packs for kids

try this site. upsideover.com....... (I can't get the link to work)
    they have bags and packs for kids. As for tents I,(we), did this; a 1 man for dad and a 2 person for mom and child. We found that this combo(using treking poles for tent poles were smaller to pack and lighter than a 3 man tent.

Hope this helps,
    TB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    tents: recommendation for a lightweight 3 man tent? Untill our daughter is old enough to spend the 6 months with her grandparents in the US (or I am old enough to be apart from her for 6 months) she will be coming with us on our bushwalks. She is only 6 so it will be a few years yet till the AT. So we need a lightweight 3 person tent to fit us all!

The Tarptent Rainshadow is a terrific, lightweight 3-person shelter that actually sleeps 3 people. We've been using it for 3+years with our teenage daughter (though lately she's wanted her own space, so she uses my hammock). I am fairly certain that Tarptent ships down under.

www.tarptent.com
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I am looking for some information regarding tents and packs. While doing a search for recommendations on this site I see a lot of information on the Granite gear and ULA packs and GoLite. The problem is that I live in Australia and can't seem to find anyone who stocks these. I have found hikelite.com.au but there doesn't seem to be store where we can go try these packs out.

So my questions are:
    What sort of pack weight should we be looking at? Not "full pack ready to go" weight but the weight of the empty pack? what sort of material should we be looking at? Is it really advisable to buy a pack online? Seems a bit crazy to me to buy one without trying it on.
    you probably already know this, but the rest of your gear should determine what type / size / weight pack you use. if you use relatively lightweight gear (total pack weight ~25 lbs) there are plenty of pack options where the pack by itself weighs around 2 lbs. I use the GG Vapor Trail - which I ordered online without trying on! It's worked out great. obviously you need some understanding of how to fit a pack to know what size to order.....

I haven't done a lot of research lately on tents (I hammock) - lots swear by the tarptents. I have several friends that have the Golite Hex - it looks like the Hex 3 would also fit your needs:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/GO3030

kids sleeping bags: is there anyone out there that makes a childs DOWN bag? I can find synthetic bags anywhere but I was hoping to compare them to a down bag.

Thanks again!
    cheers,
    eeyore
    good luck with finding a childs' down bag - i looked around for a while last fall, and couldn't find one (although I limited my search to relatively inexpensive bags). The Golite Jam would also make a great kids' pack.....

Steve
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I'll cast a second vote for the Tarptent Rainshadow as a lightweight, roomy option for three people. As for a child's down bag - I've never seen one. Since you plan to have your daughter going with you for years to come, you may want to consider buying a small woman's mummy bag and tucking the extra length under your daughter's legs for now (so her tiny body doesn't have to try to heat up the extra space). This will be warm, compressible and will grow with your child.

Default lots of good info! Thank you!

Thank you everyone. Once again lots of good advice. I really appreciate it. I love the look of the tarptents! Very swish.

I think the idea of using a womens bag for my daughter is a great idea. That way I only have to buy the one bag and she can use it for years to come!

Lots of info and lots to think about. Thanks again. My credit card company thanks you all as well!

eeyore

Images

If you want a light weight, free standing, 3 person tent then I can recommend the Sierra Designs Sirius 3. My wife and I have one and like it. Not only is it freestanding but it gives you a lot of options for ventilation. We use one all year round when we hike with our 80 pound shephard dog.

We also have the Tarptent Rainshow and give that good grades too. We use this when we leave the dog at home.

Images

Opps, I mean Rainshadow

Other than a couple select outfitters here in the USA, ULA packs are only sold via internet or mail order from the guy in Utah who makes them. You can order on his website at www.ula-equipment.com he is quite reliable and can be trusted to deliver a well made pack. The packs he has are quite lightweight for the size and you can use that as a standard for "weight of the empty pack" which will vary depending on the the capacity of the pack and the amount of support for the weight, which also is not to be taken lightly if you want to be comfortable carrying a certain max weight of stuff.
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Images

My daughter has a Sierra Designs "Cool Cat" which is rated to 20 degrees I believe. It is a cool little 550 down bag short enough for a 9 year old. It can be found at this link: http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?pid=58960 I did not buy it there, and it appears as though SD is not making it anymore.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I will have a look at all the links.

Thanks!

Smile

Glad to see another Australian on this web page.

I have had the same problem. That is not been able see the backpacks before deciding which one to buy.

In the end decided to go with an Osprey Aether pack that can be actually bought in Australia.

Pack is a little heavier than the one mentioned but you can at least see and feel how they are on your back.

As per the tents I would also recommend any of thee Tarptents. I own one and am very please

My Pace - Slow

Default Thanks!

Slow- Thank you for the reply. It is nice to have an option that is available here in Australia.

I will give Paddy's a call and see what they have in stock. If the price is crazy I can always try it on there and then have one shipped from the US. A bit sneaky I guess but I have to make the $ last!

Did you buy your tent here in Australia or did you have it shipped over?

Thanks again!

Don't forget that you can modify existing gear for your child's needs...like cutting a full-sized down bag to fit your kid. Or DIY...my kids use homemade quilts that were supersimple to make.

For packs, I'd recommend the Deuter Fox 30. They used regular school packs for a while, but now they're carrying more and growing up so they got a real pack. It's actually heavier than the one I use, but I don't have to worry about them throwing a silnylon pack on the rocks or anything. And it's a well-made pack.

Mountain Laurel Designs has some high-quality (I've heard) ultralight kids gear.

Check here for some more thoughts on hiking with kids.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingWithKids.html

Default wow

Thank you for all that info Jeff. I really appreciate it!

If you can afford to shoot the moon, Feathered Friends makes women's sleeping bags in extra small and small lengths, 4'9" and 5'3" respectively. Expensive bags, but absolutely top notch in quality and lightweight to boot. The bag should have good resale value if she outgrows it. Here's a link to Feathered Friends sleeping bags. They will make custom lengths, to an extent.
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Default wow- swish

Those bags look antastic rswanson. They are definately going on the "need to get before the exchange rate drops!" list.

Thanks for that.

When you consider a pack for your kid be sure that the shoulder straps are not too long, so that they can not be tightened.

I bought by Tarp Tent of the net.The guys web site is great and very helpfull. I also sent him a couple of emails before purchasing and again he answered the emails very quickly

The postage cost was not bad.

I beleive he now has added a tub floor to his tarptents which would even inprove them more.

++ New Posts ++