Height: 6 Feet, 1 inch

Weight: 190 lbs.

Experience: 20 plus years, experienced AT section hiker, along with Kilmer area, Mt. Mitchell, and various shorter trips. All season hiker but prefer snowless conditions if possible. I have used hammock, bivy, and full tent, and I make some of my own gear (tarptent, stove, etc).

Similar Products Used: Sierra Designs 15F/0F convertible 600 down. Sierra Designs 3D 35F bag. WM pod series also used.

Locations/conditions tested: Spent a few nights at home during fall / winter to test limits of quilt (I don't trust temp ratings), then took it on my '07 Section from Dicks Creek to NOC. Temps dipped below 20 at night, totally unexpected for this quilt. Rain, wind also, with snow flurries on and off during section. I am a shelter rat when they are available.

Weight (advertised): 27 oz.

Weight (as tested): 29 oz. - I dumped the JRB stuff sack and put it in a GG UL compression sack to make some space - that's where the extra 2 oz came from, I think.

Price: $229.00 introductory price last year.

Manufacturer web address: Jacks R better (look 'em up).

Initial Impression:
First of all, I wanted to get a quilt after a trip to the Smokies last year. I noticed that my SD 15F 600 down bag was either way too hot or not hot enough, but mostly too hot. And, since I kept the bag unzipped much of the time, I decided to look at some weight-saving products that could be manipulated to my preferences (depending on conditions), I thought about making a Jardine quilt, but wanted the weight advantage and lofting of down. So I thought about making a down quilt per the Thru-Hiker web site plans, and also looked at the Nunatak quilt. Meanwhile, I called Jack at JRB and spoke with him about the JRB offerings such as the Nest and the No Sniveler – and he told me the MT Rogers was in development. It sounded like just the size and weight I was looking to build, and would even have the integrated Velcro I had thought of in my own musings. So, when it hit the market, I realized that the introductory price was not that much higher than the cost of materials to make one, and I ordered the JRB Mt Rogers Quilt.

The Mt Rogers quilt is typical JRB stock – green with black on the other side, sewn from lightweight ripstop and made for compression usage. As with other JEB gear, this quilt is designed for someone who knows how to handle their gear – that is, it is not meant to be treated in a roughshod manner. This particular quilt came with drawstrings at both ends and a strip of Velcro along each side – so that it can be used as either a quilt, a blanket, a hammock wrap, or a full sleeping bag. The quilt was baffled as advertised, but I had expected just a bit more down to fill the sizable (6-inch) cells . The good news is that the down can easily be shifted, through shaking the quilt to strategic locations, to maximize warmth (as I will explain later in the review). The two inch baffles are consistent throughout, and the quilt will willingly loft up to AT LEAST 2.5 inches. Still, I was little pensive about the capacity of this product. This quilt is, at first impression, kind of fragile looking. However, upon closer examination, I was pleased to see that care had been take to make sure all seams are reinforced where applicable, the stitching is straight and well-sewn, no loose threads, and no superfluous cloth hanging off of the product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Tests:
As I said, I used the quilt both at home and on a couple of short, mild outings during the fall and winter. AT home, I used the quilt to test temp capacity, while dressing in either lightweight or med-weight polypros with my ragg wool sleeping socks. During these home tests I found the quilt to be adequate but not superlative. I found myself comfortable to about 30F, but noticed breeze coming in around my feet. In addition, since I was on a second-story porch and sleeping on a lounge, I had a tough time staying warm underneath. I also took this quilt on a trip to Crabtree Falls in November, in relatively mild temps. It performed very well during this trip, but results weren't conclusive.

Trail Test:
Spring Section, 2007: Basecamped at NOC, then shuttled to Dick's Creek to walk north. Unfortunately, the temps took a dive just before I got there, and I was unexpectedly facing extreme conditions for this time of year - with a lightweight quilt, some layering clothes, and a silnyl bivy I had made at home. My shelter was a tarptent, and I felt a little ill-equipped for the conditions. Naturally, given my testing, I was a little pensive about setting out with this quilt. I had, on a whim, thrown an extra Ridgerest into the truck, along with a fleece jacket, both of which I promptly (and gratefully) crammed into my pack. I was lucky I did.

I spent a week on the trail, wandering between Dick's Creek and NOC, with nighttime temps around 20F and some days only up to around 28 or so for the first few days. The temps eventually moderated, but not before the quilt got a thorough workout. I must say the JRB Mt Rogers quilt performed in a manner that was, in a word, amazing! First night, temps under 20F, and I layered up and used the quilt as a sleeping bag (wore a wool watchcap also). I also put the quilt inside my bivy for added warmth. In a shelter loft, out of wind, and using both pads, I rearranged the down inside the quilt to loft up more and, cautiously, went to bed, figuring that if everything went south, I could always break out the emergency space blanket.
I slept soundly, was very warm – so warm, in fact, that I actually unzipped my bivy in the middle of the night to let in some more air! After my test results at home, I was very pleased by the quilt and I figured the temps must have gotten warmer overnight. At first light, I checked my little thermometer - it was 22F at the shelter. The JRB Mt Rogers had shined in its first real test.

After that, I was more confident. I continued to use the quilt as a bag until the temps went above 32F at night, then used it as a quilt with a footbox. In all cases, the quilt kept me warm, stayed lofted as needed, and generally performed better than I had ever expected. The only issue I had was that sometimes the velcro would come unfastened when I was repositioning myself on the pads. But once I learned how to manage that piece, the quilt became a real pleasure. Later, I was able to get rid of the bivy wrap and sleep only in my lightweight polypros, and it was great to have this flexibility and warmth while watching the snow come down outside the shelters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusions/Recommendations:
This is a solid piece of gear, with drawstrings, velcro, light weight, and a good price. And, after my series of unseasonably cold nights on the trail, I can say that I am 100% confident that this quilt is the perfect AT companion. You can use it as a warm-weather wrap or a cold-weather bag. - and although I wouldn't recommend this as a dead-of-winter quilt without proper support gear and experience, it is indeed has both the warmth and the versatility to accommodate even the more extreme conditions you may find in the higher elevations. I would highly recommend this quilt to the serious backpacker, with the following notes:
  • Never go out without proper experience and gear. While this is a great quilt, it is not a substitute for common sense.
  • If you use this as a bag, it may be a little snug for some. Just make sure you are aware that the velcro may come loose if you are a restless sleeper.
  • If you layer properly and shift the down, it will provide good warmth to a remarkable temperature.
  • If you're going to use this in cold weather, take a bivy (in fact, take a bivy anyway!).
  • Lastly, this is not a heavyweight, rough-and-ready piece of gear. It is designed (imho) with the experienced hiker in mind, and should not be expected to hold up to lots of abusive treatment. If you know how to handle and maintain your gear, it will do its job well.

I have used great gear and not-so-great gear, hammocks and tents, tarps and bivies, bags, packs, stoves, and everything in between. I've seen gear come and go, and I can honestly say that the Mt Rogers quilt is among the most versatile, useful, and solid pieces of gear I have ever had the pleasure of using (no, I'm not getting paid to say this).
  • One Note:
    When I first started my search for a quilt, I called JRB to inquire about their products. Jack spoke with me personally, and discussed many issues for almost an hour, talking about my hiking style, my preferences, and other items. Th folks at JRB are a great group, and I feel very much at home with them. It is obvious that their first mission is to help the customer, and I would highly recommend them to anyone.