WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Images

Default There's another way to solicit donations.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Or better still abolish the 2000-miler patch altogether. (Unlikely, because ATC depends on donations to survive and a great source for donations are those who claim to have walked the whole trail.)
    Abolishing ATC's recognition program would certainly be one approach and simpler than the alternatives. ATC doesn't need to be involved in this matter or in this manner. They could simply send a letter congratulating those who visit both termini and claim to have walked from one to the other inviting them to join ATC and participate in its activities. Of course, that paper on the wall does serve as a reminder.

Images

Default Shades of Gray 2000 miler recognition

Okay, here's my recognition program. Sgt. Rock walks from Springer Mountain to Katahdin any way he wants. I know he wouldn't any other way. When he passes through Berks County, Pennsylvania, I'd like to meet him and congratulate him on making it here. I'll provide him with a ride if he needs one and I'll show him what sights may interest him while he's here. When I've heard he's reached Katahdin, I'll congratulate him again.

That recognition program is one I control. I'm inviting him to apply for recognition, but if he doesn't want to apply that's up to him, and, yes, Dixicritter, I know it's just hiking, but it's a special hike. That's why people get all worked up over it!

Images

Hey, a couple of years back I proposed coming up with our own recognition patch. Basically "I walked from Ga to Me" and "I did it without sniveling" were on top and bottom of the AT symbol
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Hey, a couple of years back I proposed coming up with our own recognition patch. Basically "I walked from Ga to Me" and "I did it without sniveling" were on top and bottom of the AT symbol
    How much sniveling could I get away with and still apply for this patch?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Two questions:

1. Did you walk from Springer Mountain Georgia to Mt Katahdin Maine (or the other way)?

Yes____ No_____

If yes, go to question 2. If no stop here.

2. Did you snivel?

Yes____ No___

Based on your second answer you patch may be sent to you.

That is about it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    How much sniveling could I get away with and still apply for this patch?
    Good question.

And I want to know how much sniveling I can get away with if I don't carry trekking poles.

How much extra sniveling is it worth to not carry a water filter?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Two questions:

1. Did you walk from Springer Mountain Georgia to Mt Katahdin Maine (or the other way)?

Yes____ No_____

2. Did you snivel?

Yes____ No___

That is about it.
    Well, based on the above you would consider starting at Springer, walk on FS42 to GA 60, road walk to I85, walk on the I85 berm to I95, walk on the I95 berm to Maine, and then road walk to Katahdin, and if you didn't b#tch about it you are a certified 2,000 miler. Quite ridiculous.

Default 2000 Milers and Thru-hikers.

In the beginning, there was Myron Avery.
    The first person to walk every single mile of the Appalachian Trail.
    He intended to walk every bit, and pushed a measuring wheel most of the way. It took him many trips, and more than one year. In recognition of his achievement, the ATC (OK, a small group of close friends and like minded souls) confired onto him the status of "The First 2000 Miler."
    Thence followed others, also walking every mile, section by section, to eventually completely hike the entire Appalachian Trail. They too were awarded "2000 Miler" status.
    Years passed. A World War raged.
    And along came Earl Shaffer. He had intended to walk the whole she-bang with a friend. The friend was killed in the War, and Earl set out alone to walk from Georgia to Maine in one go. He asked for maps, and told the ATC his intentions. He heard back that he was laughed at. He did his best to follow an often time obscured and dis-used route. He'd still report in to the ATC that such-and-so stretch was poorly marked, that a lean-to had fallen to bits, or even that there were two white blazed routes leading away or into an area. The mountain and forest people learned a durn fool was trying to hike all the AT, and they dubbed him "The Crazy One." He liked that. He hiked on, walking with Spring. More than once a well marked trail led to a mountain top, but no marked trail down could be found. So he followed his compass. He resorted to maps from gas stations, best guesses, and suggestions from fire wardens and loggers to wend his way north. He shunned short cuts, and would often hike down to ponds or up to firetowers to see what he could see. After he got to Katahdin, after he was all done, he reported to the ATC. And they didn't believe him, they didn't believe it could be done. Letters, phone calls, quizzes and down right rude interviews followed. And then they finally believed him, that he had walked all the way, doing his very best to follow the official route.
    I have to side with Earl. If you've done your best to follow the official route between Maine to Georgia, Shaffer-style or Avery-style, you're a 2000 miler. Congratulations.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 04-10-2007 at 17:59.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    He intended to walk every bit, and pushed a measuring wheel most of the way. It took him many trips, and more than one year. In recognition of his achievement, the ATC (OK, a small group of close friends and like minded souls) confired onto him the status of "The First 2000 Miler."
    Thence followed others, also walking every mile, section by section, to eventually completely hike the entire Appalachian Trail. They too were awarded "2000 Miler" status.
    And along came Earl Shaffer. He had intended to walk the whole she-bang with a friend. The friend was killed in the War, and Earl set out alone to walk from Georgia to Maine in one go. He asked for maps, and told the ATC his intentions. He heard back that he was laughed at. He did his best to follow an often time obscured and dis-used route. He'd still report in to the ATC that such-and-so stretch was poorly marked, that a lean-to had fallen to bits, or even that there were two white blazed routes leading away or into an area. The mountain and forest people learned a durn fool was trying to hike all the AT, and they dubbed him "The Crazy One." He liked that. He hiked on, walking with Spring. More than once a well marked trail led to a mountain top, but no marked trail down could be found. So he followed his compass. He resorted to maps from gas stations, best guesses, and suggestions from fire wardens and loggers to wend his way north. He shunned short cuts, and would often hike down to ponds or up to firetowers to see what he could see. After he got to Katahdin, after he was all done, he reported to the ATC. And they didn't believe him, they didn't believe it could be done. Letters, phone calls, quizzes and down right rude interviews followed. And then they finally believed him, that he had walked all the way, doing his very best to follow the official route.
    I have to side with Earl. If you've done your best to follow the official route between Maine to Georgia, Shaffer-style or Avery-style, you're a 2000 miler. Congratulations.
    Very well put. I agree totally. Who cares how you do it.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Two questions:

Yes____ No_____

2. Did you snivel?

Yes____ No___

That is about it.
    Two questions:

Yes__X__ No_____

2. Did you snivel?

Yes_X___ No___ Comments: My feet hurt the whole way.

a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Two questions:

2. Did you snivel?

Yes____ No___

I think if they check "no" you should send them a patch that says "I'm a liar." Everyone snivels on the AT. Except Lone Wolf.

He intended to walk every bit, and pushed a measuring wheel most of the way.
    You know, if only he had brought another wheel and something to steer with, we could all be mountain biking the trail now.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have yet to see anyone post that they hitched a few miles around a section of trail, but still sent in to be listed as a 2,000 miler.

Why the reticence?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Well, based on the above you would consider starting at Springer, walk on FS42 to GA 60, road walk to I85, walk on the I85 berm to I95, walk on the I95 berm to Maine, and then road walk to Katahdin, and if you didn't b#tch about it you are a certified 2,000 miler. Quite ridiculous.
    That sounds like sniveling. You don't get the patch.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I have yet to see anyone post that they hitched a few miles around a section of trail, but still sent in to be listed as a 2,000 miler.
    Why the reticence?
    I think that most around here would not be embarrassed to admit that they walked the whole way but didn't do the official route. In the mind of many, it's still walking.

In the minds of the same folk, it's a very different thing to claim to have walked when one was in a car.

Which brings up the question, what if it was a Flintstone-style foot powered car?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Good question.

And I want to know how much sniveling I can get away with if I don't carry trekking poles.

How much extra sniveling is it worth to not carry a water filter?
    No sniveling.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Earl gets the patch.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot View Post
    Two questions:

Yes__X__ No_____

2. Did you snivel?

Yes_X___ No___ Comments: My feet hurt the whole way.

No patch for you.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I think if they check "no" you should send them a patch that says "I'm a liar." Everyone snivels on the AT. Except Lone Wolf.

You know, if only he had brought another wheel and something to steer with, we could all be mountain biking the trail now.
    Lone wolf gets the patch.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I think that most around here would not be embarrassed to admit that they walked the whole way but didn't do the official route. In the mind of many, it's still walking.

In the minds of the same folk, it's a very different thing to claim to have walked when one was in a car.

Which brings up the question, what if it was a Flintstone-style foot powered car?
    Fred could qualify.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Based on valuable input about verifying the route that people took, I have decided to include the following:

3. Draw a picture of your route for validation purposes in the space provided:
    Note: If the route does not fit inside my grading template, your application will not be approved. And you don't get to see my template
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++