WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Alcohol Stoves

Images

Default Alcohol Stoves

I think I am going to avoid making my own. Does anyone have recommendations for either the mini-trangia or etowah II or a different one that works well and is light weight? Looking for something with a pot stand included, though I may just use stakes. Wondering about feedback on these stoves or a smilar model. thanks all

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    I think I am going to avoid making my own. Does anyone have recommendations for either the mini-trangia or etowah II or a different one that works well and is light weight? Looking for something with a pot stand included, though I may just use stakes. Wondering about feedback on these stoves or a smilar model. thanks all
    Either one is a good choice if you don't want to make your own.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

My Brasslite is nice. The stand is the stove is the stand. I saw a guy in a shelter last week using the etowah, and it seemed to work fine, too. But you can make a terrific little side burner stove for the cost of a can of potted meat.

I tried the 3-tent-stakes thing as a pot support. You might test it in your back yard to see if it works for you. It works, but it's fussy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

================================

Have never personally used the Etowah model but I own 2 Trangia's and used one on my thru in 2003. A little heavier than the homemade alternatives (and maybe the Etowah too ??) but extremely durable and reliable. I have the "Westwind" model stand. Three pieces of aluminum that fit together in a triangle and support the stove off the ground as well as provide a very stable pot stand. I duplicated the original frame sections with some lighter weight aluminum stock and drilled holes in it. I took some light weight aluminum flashing and made a windscreen that fits inside my cookpot, along with the Trangia burner.

'Slogger
    Last edited by Footslogger; 03-28-2007 at 18:07.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I as well use the Trangia Westwind. Have since 2001. Very happy with it. The thing has never failed me. Whereas I tried a home made stove it worked good but was not as durable after some time it finally got beat up enough that it needed replaced. I just went back to the Trangia and haven't looked back.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

I have three stoves from Minibull, and like them all. The Atomic is my favorite.

I have 2 mini bull designs stoves and one that came with my antigravity gear cook set. It is in my experience all pepsi can stoves work well in temps anything above freezing. However, minibulldesign.com is of the best quality, construction and many choices to fit your particular need.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Stoves

I have used the Etowah Outfitters Stove and found it to be great. I tossed the simmer pot in the middle as I use it for boiling water only. In 15 degree weather, it boils 500ml water in 6 minutes. Not bad. 1oz. of denatured alcohol is all I need. Some use HEET mixed with the denatured alcohol. A 1:10 mixture of what I've heard. Some use sraight HEET. I spoke with the owner of the company a few weeks ago at Neels. He does not recommend using pure HEET. He said it would deteriorate before you get to Maine. Never the less, for $25, it is very easy and gets the job done. This from a guy who fought like hell to give up his Whisperlite!

Maguro

I used the etowah stove for 3 months then had to get another one because the 1st one rusted. They are great stoves, and work just as well with rubbing alcohol since denatured is hard to find in some places.

They will rust!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atkentucky View Post
    They will rust!
    That is one of the advantages with the Trangia. It is made of brass and aluminum so therfore it will not rust.
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Images

So I am leaning toward the Tranigia. It seems from the responses that the Westwind is better in the wind than the Mini-Tranigia due to the windscreen/pot support right??

Images

Wouldn't know about the Mini as I have never tried one. I do also use a windscreen with my Westwind. The only times I have had wind problems is before I put the windscreen up then that takes care of the wind.
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Images

So I am leaning toward the Tranigia. It seems from the responses that the Westwind is better in the wind than the Mini-Tranigia due to the windscreen/pot support right??
    You really need a windscreen with either one. The Westwind is a bit more stable, IMO, and works well for larger diameter pots.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

IMO, one of the best things about the Trangia is you fill it full of fuel, cook dinner, let it cool off, and screw the top back on without worrying how much fuel you have left. I've seen so many other stove users burning off fuel because they guessed wrong on the amount and overfilled it.

Footslogger made a good point on the Westwind. Take your drill and go to town on the stand. Reduces the weight....plus it just looks cool!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

I never used a wind screen with the etowah. The fuel part fits down inside of the base, so it provides a little wind protection.

Wind screens are the biggest pains in the ass to use. They blow over and after using them a while they get out of shape and get hard to use.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Depends on the type of windscreen ...

Have never had any problems with the one seen below and it's covered a lot of miles.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I have the mini Trangia. It has performed flawlessly every time I have used it for the past four years. The pot stand that comes with it is very lightweight, but it is just a pot stand. It provides no protection from the wind. It also doesn't work well with large diameter pots, but works great with the 0.9liter cookpot that came with the stove. I use a piece of doubled over aluminum foil as a windscreen and have had no problems. The Trangia weighs more than other alcohol stoves, but it's extremely durable and will last for years with no maintainence and no need to replace. It is efficient and easy to use. Stoves don't come any more simple than the Trangia. I would recommend it to anyone. If I were you, I would buy the Westwind model.

Images

Sounds like that's the one, Westwind that is. Thanks

Images

You won't be disappointed.
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Images

...Until you share camp with someone who manages to cook a delicious meal with a stove one-tenth the weight.

That was an ugly thing to say, wasn't it?
    Skids

++ New Posts ++