WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foothills Trail

Images

Default Foothills Trail

Spur of the moment hikes are always the best.
    The weather forecast for upstate SC over the next week couldn't be more inviting...so a solo 5 day thru hike of the Foothills Trail begins.....right now !
    Oddly, it's 4:20 am....hmmm.

I ought to be able to be at Table Rock by Sunrise if I start packing now....and work out getting picked up in Oconee on Wednesday.

Have fun, it's a great trail any time of the year (except maybe August!).

Images

In a word......... SWEET !

Crawled into Oconee at 10:23 pm last night.. I was hellbent on finishing yesterday as all I could think about was a hot shower.

Lots of dayhikers around Table Rock on Saturday but after that I pretty much had the trail to myself. I got a lobster-like sunburn and a nice heat rash. I didn't see any bear nor a rattlesnake although I kept expecting to at any minute..I did see a bunch of boar and managed a few pictures of them. The leaves aren't out yet up on the ridges and the views were pretty nice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    In a word......... SWEET !

Crawled into Oconee at 10:23 pm last night.. I was hellbent on finishing yesterday as all I could think about was a hot shower.
    Just curious, but how many miles did you end up doing the last day?

Images

About...give or take 22.9 miles !
    I hadn't planned to go all the way but when I reached 107 I figured I could hoof the rest pretty quick, my pack was light and I fell into a grove.
    Plus where else can you end a hard hike at a hot shower.

I'm planning to thru-hike the Foothills Trail both because I want to and a preparation for thru-hiking the AT next year. I was curious about a couple things if anyone has the answers to them?
    1. Does anyone know or have some suggestions when would be the best time for a thru-hike?
    2. Aside from winter is there a time I should avoid or that anyone would advise against a thru-hike?
    3. Is there a season or time of year when people typically or most often tend to thru-hike it?
    4. Does anyone know what (if any) is the best, preferred or more common direction in which to thru-hike it or can anyone suggestion which direction to thru-hike it?
    5. Does anyone know of any place near the trail where one could re-supply either by buying supplies or maildrop?
    Also if anyone has any additional advise or recommendations about thru-hiking thew FHT I'd be happy to hear it.

I hiked in late September (http://travelinlight.net/foothillstrail/20120924/) and had a blast. I would recommend looking into historical weather averages and calling the two parks before you set out.. but don't get bent on this. I walked from Oconnee to Table Rock, and loved it, though next time I hike this trail it will be in reverse. I recommend you pick a direction and go, though if you wish to swim the final days I would start with a steep uphill from Table Rock and finish in the river basins of Oconnee. Now on the other hand, if you wish to start with a gradual approach (to gain back your hiking legs) I would recommend starting at Oconnee and finishing with the picture perfect approaching Table Rock followed by a great boulder field and a knee-killer downhill to Table Rock park. Oh, and there is no need to re-supply; the trail is only 76-miles. I do suggest you hike an average of 15 to 20 miles a day, and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I'm planning to thru-hike the Foothills Trail both because I want to and a preparation for thru-hiking the AT next year. I was curious about a couple things if anyone has the answers to them?
    1. Does anyone know or have some suggestions when would be the best time for a thru-hike?
    2. Aside from winter is there a time I should avoid or that anyone would advise against a thru-hike?
    3. Is there a season or time of year when people typically or most often tend to thru-hike it?
    4. Does anyone know what (if any) is the best, preferred or more common direction in which to thru-hike it or can anyone suggestion which direction to thru-hike it?
    5. Does anyone know of any place near the trail where one could re-supply either by buying supplies or maildrop?
    Also if anyone has any additional advise or recommendations about thru-hiking thew FHT I'd be happy to hear it.
    1) I've thru-hiked it twice once in late Oct/early Nov and once in Jan. The full FT will be part of a longer hike I'll do this late fall/winter. You'll get more views when the leaves are off the trees, falling, or just emerging. Waterfalls will be pumping after spring rains.
    2) It's possible to thru the FT anytime of the yr when you have a window of decent weather. It's one of the wonderful things about this trail. The upstate northwest SC weather CAN BE MORE mild than the AT weather in late fall, winter and spring.
    3) Summer sees the most visitors. Overall the FTT IS NOT as crowded of a trail and during late fall, winter, and early spring it's possiby to experience few if any other FT thru-hikers.
    4) Elevation changes are roughly the same whether you go east or west. Going west gives you a coast on the last two-three days so if you want to take your time enjoying the Chatooga River, fire tower, etc head west. Be careful with the east west FT description though as the FT DOES NOT run a true east west. It's kind of an upside down "L" shape. If you head west the last few days will have you headed in a generally south direction.
    5) I've never resupplied but at Laurel Valley and Chimneytop Gap you'll have access to Hwy 178. If you take that about(a guesstimate) 8-9 miles south you'll hit a convenience store/gas station w/ some fried foods/made to order sandwiches and certainly 3 days resupply. I've hitched to this convenience store and back to Laurel Valley/Eastatoe Gorge TH on Hwy 178 taking less than an hr total. There's a small dive of a bar on Hwy 178 you'll pass on the way to the convenience store too. Forget the name. You can also hitch at Whitewater Falls(Upper has a decent flow of traffic at a parking lot) north on NC 281/SC 130/Whitewater Falls Rd/Whitewater Hwy(it's the same Rd!. different names, the highway changes names at the SC/NC state which is where Upper Whitewater Falls is) into Rosman NC where you can resupply at a large grocery store. This is a longish hitch though! Whitewater Falls is the tallest waterfall east of the Rockies.

Depending at what time you go Table Rock SP has a restaurant and Oconee SP has some snacks. Both SPs have showers, campsites, under roof dwellings(cabins) and swimming areas.

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

http://www.foothillstrail.org/upload...Proof%2074.pdf

Couple of thoughts. I've always considered the Benton Mackaye Tr(BMT), Pinhoti Tr(PT), and Foothils Tr(FT) GREAT opportunities for a shakedown hike in prep for an AT thru-hike. The FT can be started east of Table Rock and extended all the way to the AT via a the Bartram Trail and a bit of road walking. You can include the FT as part of a much longer shakedown hike! And, again, these trails, especially the PT and FT, experience milder weather so can often be hiked a couple of months in advance of a AT NOBO thru-hike. Several AT NOBOers this yr did the 335 mile PT and about 70 miles of the BMT to Springer Mt where they then started their 2180 mile AT NOBO thru-hkes! The last FT thru-hike I did I started as far east as possible at Falls Crk Falls Trail in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness area of SC hiking for more than 110 miles total which included the FT and some trails in Jones Gap SP and Ceasar's Head SP(another nice waterfall, the whole area in northwest SC has an abundance of waterfalls and this is one of the things the FT is famous for).

GET the FOOTHILLS TRAIL MAP and the FT Guidebook. They'll help with your FT thru-hike and possibly give you more added mileage ideas. Check out the FT link I gave you. You can get Mountain Bridge Wilderness, Jones Gap SP, and Cesar's Head SP maps too as well as maps for the Chatooga Riverand Bartram Trails. Two SC trail books that describe the FT( in sections) as well as the eastern extensions and a bit of the western extensions are: Hiking South Carolina by J. Clark and J. Dantzler(A Falcon guidebook) and 50 Hikes in SC by J. Malloy.

I am beginning to plan for a thru-hike of the FT, going from Table Rock SP to Oconee SP. I have never done a thru-hike before, but I have hiked and camped my entire live, pretty exclusively around the Blue Ridge escarpment in SC and into NC.. Pisgah etc.. I went to a local outfitter and got the FT Guidebook and Map. Both of these have helped me understand the orientation of the trail. I was pretty good around multiple areas on the trail already (TRSP, Jocassee, Whitewater Falls/Bad Creek access area), but they helped me feel like I'm 99.9% good on exactly where the trail lies and what to expect. I don't have a lot of sufficient equipment right now due to the fact that most of it is from 10 years ago and just used for elementary camping. That being said, I am pretty pumped up to start hiking seriously and get back to enjoying a hobby that I have really had for my entire life.

A couple of questions I have. If I were planning on NOT staying at Oconee SP once I get there, would I still be able to get a quick shower before I get into a friend's car for 3 hours ha ha... AKA are the showers for anyone at the park? Don't know how they would regulate that honestly, if it's just your average bathroom/shower like other state parks in SC, but just wondering what opinions on that would be. Pay to Play, or use your available resources?

I have also thought about the possibility of starting at Caesar's Head and completing that spur prior to hopping on the FT. But honestly, it seems to me like the logistics of adding the Caesar's Head Spur on a 4-5 day thru hike of the FT and doing it smoothly seem pretty impossible. I am almost getting reserved to the point of having to double back the A2-A1-A2 portion. Has anyone included that spur on a thru-hike? What exactly did you do to work it out?

I have really enjoyed reading these posts, I'm thoroughly impressed with the AT community since really catching the bug a few months ago. I hope to be able to complete my thru-hike of the FT within the next 6 months, after I've prepared with gathering equipment and supplies. I intend on answering the call when I hear it, and I look forward to being able to share my experience and hopefully help or contribute to others' hikes.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I took both.

Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I hiked it the second week of past December and the weather was a little warm, nights were cool, you never know what to expect with the weather. Late October or early November should be good if we have "normal" weather. There's lots of water which helps when it's hot. This one of the most enjoyable hikes I've done. I went Table Rock to Oconee and would probably go that way next time.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    [COLOR=#B22222]
    [COLOR=#B22222]I have also thought about the possibility of starting at Caesar's Head and completing that spur prior to hopping on the FT. But honestly, it seems to me like the logistics of adding the Caesar's Head Spur on a 4-5 day thru hike of the FT and doing it smoothly seem pretty impossible. I am almost getting reserved to the point of having to double back the A2-A1-A2 portion. Has anyone included that spur on a thru-hike? What exactly did you do to work it out?
    Easily doable - not impossible. You can go further East and start at Jones Gap, then on to Caesar's Head, then on to the FT. Better yet, you can go further East and start at the old Baptist Camp and Hospital Rock then hit Jones Gap, Casesar's Head, and then FT. Better yet, with some road walking you can start further East in Greenville SC, hike the Swamp Rabbit Trail to Travellers Rest, then on to Baptist Camp and Hospital Rock, then hit Jones Gap, Caesar's Head, and then FT. Better yet, you can start at the Atlantic Ocean, hike the Palmetto Trail to the FT. possibilities are endless....
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Yeah, I completely get that. I have seen a few posts talking about other trails which can connect or serve as a precursor to the FT. And I appreciate a solid list of trails which could serve that purpose, but that isn't exactly what I'm trying to start some discussion about.

And the answer may completely be as simple as it seems, and I'm ok with that! But I thought I would at least see if anyone has some advice or a strategy I haven't thought about. So let me try to be a little more straightforward so we can talk towards the same point.

I would like to do a thru-hike of the FT. (~77 mi.) My pace will be between 15-20 miles/day. I think it would also be cool to incorporate the Spur trail between Caesar's Head State Park and Sassafras Mtn. (14.2 mi.) I would be giving myself 5 full days. There are two ways that I am thinking about doing this, but I can't come up with a way to do it without having to yo-yo the TRSP (A1) to Sassafras MTN (A2) section. If I wanted to do an E-W hike, (which I would prefer to do), I can't think of any more practical way to do this than beginning at CHSP (S2) to Sassafras MTN (A2) then continuing to the FT trailhead in TRSP (A1) having to turn around and yo-yo back to Sassafras to continue the rest of the trail towards Oconee SP.

So, I am trying to gauge whether or not anyone out there has tried to incorporate this Spur on a thru-hike of the FT, and if they have any advice doing it.
    Ex, where they camped, how many miles they went the first day, where they started, how they incorporated the section to TRSP smoothly, or maybe they did this on a W-E hike. Maybe a flip-flop from Sassafras MTN?

I have read that two of the popular campsites between A1 and A2 are The Lighthouse as well as the Cantrell homesite. Does anyone have any recommendations for campsites between Sassafras Mtn A2 and Laurel Falls A4. This is most likely going to be the key for me. I'm not opposed to stealth camping, but I would much rather know of a particular spot that someone might have used in this area. Thanks!

Definitely up for suggestions or any experiences with particular strategies that could help me plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    . Does anyone have any recommendations for campsites between Sassafras Mtn A2 and Laurel Falls A4. This is most likely going to be the key for me. I'm not opposed to stealth camping, but I would much rather know of a particular spot that someone might have used in this area. Thanks!

Definitely up for suggestions or any experiences with particular strategies that could help me plan.
    There is a nice camp site at mile 2.8 between A4 and A5 section but I liked the campsite just below Virginia Hawkins Falls at mile 4.8.

I'm not sure of the A nomenclature you speak of, but you can hike Caesars head to raven cliff. At raven cliff pick up gum gap trail that leads to the foothills at table rock. All this is in mtn bridge wilderness. There is no backtracking. Mtn bridge is all east of table rock and the start of the foothills.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Ok so I just read your post again and realized I was thinking incorrectly. The spur does spit you out at sassafras. No way to do what you want without backtracking.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I plan on leaving Table Rock on the 14th or 15th of Sept. (assuming my career doesn't impede). Will probably leave my vehicle @ Oconee (hire a shuttle back to Table Rock). I'll hang a a goodie bag @ bad creek for a mid hike indulgence.

There is a Bluegrass event going on @ Table Rock on Sat nite, the 14th. I'm thinking about catching that and then step out on the trail on Sunday AM.

[QUOTE=The Solemates;1512840]I'm not sure of the A nomenclature you speak of, but you can hike Caesars head to raven cliff. At raven cliff pick up gum gap trail that leads to the foothills at table rock. All this is in mtn bridge wilderness. There is no backtracking. Mtn bridge is all east of table rock and the start of the foothills.[/QUOTE

Well, if I decided to not continue the spur all the way to Sassafras, I'm assuming that this post still holds true. I could cut off at Raven Cliff - Gum Gap - TRSP (FT). And this would basically let me avoid any of the backtracking whatsoever? Sounds like a really good option that might get me where I need to be a lot more conveniently.

Any maps of the mountain bridge area that might be noteworthy? The guidebook says you can get a mtn bridge wilderness guidebook, im sure that'd have some info on gum gap trail.

looks like a lot of road walking though

I have a gps track saved of the trail(s) between Cesars Head SP, Table Rock and the Foothills Trail. There are several options for where you could join into the FHT. There is also an additional trailhead on the road between Caesar Head SP and Table Rock SP behind a local fire station.

I cannot attest to the condition of these trails. I suspect they get MUCH less traffic than FHT.

You are welcome to my Garmin Basecamp file of it. It has waypoints and mileage markers included and broken into track sizes that don't exceed the import limits of a Garmin GPSmap unit. It's all stuff I accumulated off the web in the prep for next month.

Like I said, you (or anyone) are welcome to have it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm planning to thru hike the FHT this fall also. Looking forward to it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++